Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Wondering if Retailers have the guts to withstand Vanilla Raiding

Recently, we were discussing AQ 40 and Naxx 40 progression with the Mage Class Leader and he shared with me his preparations for AQ 40 and Naxx 40:

This is pretty much required for raiding in AQ 40 and Naxx 40. "I have no money", "I have no time to farm", "I am so good that I don't need consumables" etc won't work here.

What do you think? Do you think that you can take this abuse before running back in tears to the caring arms of J. Allen Brack, your Kung Fu Panda, your Pokemon and LFR?

Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2018-02-18 at 10:39 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

I don't know.. I think I would phrase the question as "do people in 2018 have better sense than to do the bullshit required for vanilla raiding".

the farming requirements were insanely high, but the content was very easy compared to now, especially when tuned correctly.

We'll have to see if raiders have progressed so much so that all these consumables are not needed, or if content still requires all of this. If it does, then most people are not gonna raid and only the people who really really wanna play these content and loved the old game will raid.

No, most of that is not needed to raid in vanilla. The raids are really simplistic and easy.
    Will most people enjoy it though? Nope, they will most likely not.

"Raiding in Vanilla was super hardcore and casuals won't stand it!"

Not really. Everything was just super overtuned. The difficulty literally came from your tanks being 2 shot and everything was super gear-dependent on Defense and Resistances. The mechanics were basic-bitch easy: "literally nothing but a dispel", or "literally nothing but a fear" aren't mechanics. Even Baron Geddon, supposed guild-killer in MC, was extremely easy if your raid paid attention and also had more than 2 FPS.

PS: While I never raided during Vanilla, I did play Vanilla and did raid in BC. I have a pretty good sense of what it was like as I still needed to get Resist gear and had plenty of consumables (not as many as "required" in Vanilla but still). I think I can handle it, if I actually do choose to play Classic.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

i dont feel like wasting time on easy content

Deleted
    I generally find most retailers are quite tired from the day’s trading that they don’t favour grindy mmo’s. I’m a retailer myself and most nights i prefer something more casual like Overwatch or maybe even just some TV if I’ve done a lot of shelf stacking.

As for people, in general, the level of preparation you’re discussing is commonly called ‘tryhard’ since what used to be hard a decade ago is now understood much better. The average player today has much more game experience and in 2006 the average raider couldn’t even track his debuffs to realise he was a living bomb. The original raids will be being cleared by PuGs 3 months after launch and only shadowflame cloaks and stat checks like princess will stop them.

Vanilla raiding is dreadful anyway, with or without farming.

Every time I hear about how hard Vanilla was, all I can think of was my guilds first MC run. We went in with 38 people, 5 of which were only level 58 and we cleared all the way up to Executus. The only reason we stopped was because not enough people had Aqual Quintessence to douse the runes.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Hah! Farming mats and other crap just made it more annoying, and the only difficult part about vanilla raiding was numbers and rng (crushing blows and shit), not fun. Mechanics were not hard at all.

Having the guts is piss easy for vanilla...having the time is an entirely other matter.

Keep thinking you're a badass because you farmed endlessly for consumables in order to be able to defeat raid bosses that have fewer mechanics than the dungeon bosses in Legion.

Deleted
    What a load of BS. I've literally never farmed anything for potions in vanilla and i rarely even farmed for enchants.

I tanked everything up to Ouro in AQ40 and my guild went on to clear half of naxx before better guilds started sniping up ppl.

Its true there there where tonnes if things you COULD do and some guidls definitely did them. However progressing in naxx is possible without tryharding that much.

Sorry if i'm bursting any bubbles here

Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    the farming requirements were insanely high, but the content was very easy compared to now, especially when tuned correctly.

We'll have to see if raiders have progressed so much so that all these consumables are not needed, or if content still requires all of this. If it does, then most people are not gonna raid and only the people who really really wanna play these content and loved the old game will raid.
    the content was simple, not easy. naxx at 60 had damage going out similar to naxx at 80 even though your toon's health went up 3x. With DBM screaming at you when something is about to happen, you're left with the same things making raiding hard today that you had then. All those extra mechanics don't affect people as much because of DBM. It comes down to how punishing a mistake can be, and in naxx a mistake was very punishing. in mythic raiding today, a mistake is very punishing. it's less tedious now, but there is far less buildup to get to the goal.

the road to get to the goal is shorter, straighter and you are able to depend on yourself more than you used to

it all comes down to the game being less social, it's basketball now where every player's elite skill is worth that much more, instead of football where an elite QB doesn't have time to do jack shit if his OL doesn't protect him. lebron james can take over a game because he's 20% of the lineup on the floor and can affect every facet of the game, Tom Brady can't even do his job if receiver don't catch and linemen don't block, he's worth far less as an individual.

teamwork with 40 people vs teamwork with 20 people, each person matters more so if 2 die, it's a wipe, but you have 20 fewer people there to fuck something up, 20 fewer people to get attuned/geared, etc
    Last edited by sopeonaroap; 2018-02-18 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize that “retailers” played Vanilla wow too, right? In fact, they are probably better at the game/like the game more than those who quit and now consider themselves to somehow be Gods or of a higher order

Hoo that's some good bait.

I'll probably play the game. If I get bored or dislike the required "farming" I'll do something else.

If retail gets boring, I'll play something else.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Every time I hear about how hard Vanilla was, all I can think of was my guilds first MC run. We went in with 38 people, 5 of which were only level 58 and we cleared all the way up to Executus. The only reason we stopped was because not enough people had Aqual Quintessence to douse the runes.
    well MC was an entry-level raid, guilds who weren't raid-ready for MC had no chance in hell in naxx, raiding used to have cockblocks like that, now they just put a timer on shit and make it a gearcheck until they nerf it later.

elite raiders today only do it for the mythic version of the raid, there is no true progression of raids, they attack the hardest one available asap, they teleport from point A to point Z

back then you had to walk that whole road and if you couldn't commit to every part of raiding, you simply weren't a raider

that's considered inhumane now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    What a load of BS. I've literally never farmed anything for potions in vanilla and i rarely even farmed for enchants.

I tanked everything up to Ouro in AQ40 and my guild went on to clear half of naxx before better guilds started sniping up ppl.

Its true there there where tonnes if things you COULD do and some guidls definitely did them. However progressing in naxx is possible without tryharding that much.

Sorry if i'm bursting any bubbles here
    most guilds had non-raiders do most of the farming, if you killed a single boss in naxx at 60 you'd know that. bet you killed saph without a frost set too, huh

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, most of that is not needed to raid in vanilla. The raids are really simplistic and easy.
    Will most people enjoy it though? Nope, they will most likely not.
    Yes it's needed, it's Frost Reistance Pots for Naxx 40 and Nature Protection pots and Fire Elixirs for AQ 40. 100% required.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    OP thinks he can trigger 'retailers' xD

You do realize people now sweep through MC BWL AQ NAX due to having better connection and very very easy mechanics?

Farming will not be a thing.
    Unsure about the trigger bit in it.. I disliked raiding then due to the amount of people our guild was managing, haha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Yes it's needed, it's Frost Reistance Pots for Naxx 40 and Nature Protection pots and Fire Elixirs for AQ 40. 100% required.
    which is just dumb and i hope classic will bring better balance in that regard

Come on stop with this bullshit ffs...

It's only the weak humans who always need to join a "side" and be part of something when there are no sides.

I love vanilla and most of the things around it, but I also like retail and I enjoy both as they are really 2 different thing. Especially the raiding is very in different. On retail it is more about playing the tactics (spell, phases etc) well, while in vanilla you have fewer of these, but you need to Focus on consumables, threat, mana and coordinating a huge raid for simple mechanics.

So do "retail Players" have the guts to raid in vanilla? Yes, they absolutely do, it's just different.