Why Holy Shield is not the mastery for prot paladins?

Hello, im writing to give my 2 cents on MY views of the spec, like Ion said on the last QA, ill speak for me and not for anyone else. Sorry for any english mistakes, as it is not my first language.

My question is, more than anything, why holy shield, the defining skill of a protection paladin for many years, is a talent and not our mastery? Im only bring this up because our mastery is kinda ...bland. Its just pure block chance and not interesting at all.

Holy shield used to be part of what meant to be a prot pally, you would rise your shield and it would glow with holy light causing enemies to take damage. That was like a core to the spec, the thing that made us different from just a block tower. It meant something, it scaled and where really more fun than the mastery we have now.

I get is a gameplay i can get back with a talent, but honestly speaking, holy shield should just be our mastery. Im pretty sure there are a lot of more fun talents to put on its place, and our mastery is just extreme boring. I dont really feel like a prot pally without it, and the mastery could make us different again.

I know many people will disagree with me, im just expressing my feelings towards the spec. Holy Shield is the core of the prot paladin, please make it the spec mastery. Makes us different and put the gameplay back into the base spec. This currently mastery is really, really boring. At least for me.

I'd really want to see holy shield incorporated again in my protection paladin. Im sure blizz can come up with some design for it. But please consider it... right now its really boring and frustrating taking it as a talent, something that defines so much of a spec shouldnt be a talent, it should be a mastery.

I would like to read everyones thoughts on this matter. Please dont flame me, its just something that mattered to me.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Musta; 2018-03-29 at 09:06 PM.

I miss Holy Shield being a big deal is all I can say. It was a fun button to press, and its animation plus Consecration were why I wanted to level a prot paladin.

Shield of the Righteous' damage reduction amount is increased by mastery too, it's not just block chance. But, I think I would much prefer a mastery which doesn't just reinforce that you're an immortal god when you have active mitigation up, and a paperbag when you don't.

Not really sure if Holy Shield being the mastery is the answer there, but it's probably more interesting than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniri View Post
    I miss Holy Shield being a big deal is all I can say. It was a fun button to press, and its animation plus Consecration were why I wanted to level a prot paladin.
    I Miss it as well

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree that Holy Shield is important to paladin.

I would like to see it as an ability. If its gonna be a talent, at least make it something we can use.
    It's basically serves the same function SotR, though slightly different. idk why it wasnt our active mitigation when they went that route a few years ago.

It would be cool if we had a rotation that included SotR, Holy Shield, Crusader Strike, Judgment, Consecration, and Divine Hammer. And also Avenger's Shield, ofc. You got two abilities for mitigation, two single target abilities, and 2 aoe abilities, and a shield that does both. And then we have our two big cds, Ardent Defender and Guardian. I know we are historically the aoe tank, but I always liked the ability to focus on st bosses.

I wish there was some better interplay when tanking large groups or just a big boss. Something where instead of having consecrate be a ground aoe, it could be a dot on the boss thats refreshed with Crusader Strike. But if we use Divine Hammer(or Hammer of the Righteous) it would be a ground aoe. I just think tanking is in a unique position to have a high skill cap. To have enough abilities to really play it right, and skillfully whether you go single target, multitarget, or some combo of both during a boss fight where you need to pick up some adds. To know that you'll need that ground aoe in a few seconds, to know that Holy Shield will do the most dmg when you're being attacked by 10 small adds, etc.

Idk, maybe its more wishful thinking that tanking could have a bit more decision making.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.