Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy What happened to boats and zeppelins?

For the last few expansions now, we've seen that the only real method of getting to expansion continents is through portals or hearthstones.

The last time we saw boats and zeppelins to a new continent was in Wrath of the Lich King which had boats for the Alliance to Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord from Stormwind and Menethil Harbor respectively, while the Horde had Zeppelins to Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord from Orgrimmar and Undercity respectively.

After Wrath, we saw cataclysm which had zones scattered around Azeroth with the main mode of travel being portals in each faction's capital city, or flying to ones which existed in the main continents (if you so desired).

Mists of Pandaria then had a portal in each faction's capital once more, without any other option of travel to reach it. Once 5.1 came around and each faction established a coastal base in Krasarang Wilds, it could have made sense for each faction to have a ship to these locations.

Warlords of Draenor functioned similarly to TBC as it existed through the Dark Portal, except using the Dark Portal itself was incredibly janky in comparison for some reason, and also made zero sense anyway since the portal was destroyed in the introductory segment of the expansion. From there on we used portals to access the area once more (which in fairness is probably the only way this could have been done given how it played out).

Legion has our main access point to the Broken Isles being Dalaran, via portals from the factions capitals once more, or a hearthstone. Sure, the main hub is the capital of the Kirin Tor, so portals make a lot of sense, but it could have been nice if we had at least some form of manual transport to reach the continent.

Finally we have the upcoming expansion Battle for Azeroth, and at a guess, we will probably end up using portals again to reach Zandalar and Kul'tiras.

Personally I feel like having boats and zeppelins to continents that exist on Azeroth adds a little extra to the immersion, making it feel like you're actually travelling a great distance to a location rather than simply hopping through a portal and suddenly you're on the other side of the world, which is getting kinda boring and feels kinda lazy at this point.

So as with the title of the thread, why don't we see boats and zeppelins anymore?

Because Blizzard think people want convenience instead of immersion.

To be fair, there's been nowhere for us to sail/fly to since MoP. I wouldn't mind boats/zeppelins for Kul Tiras and Zandalar, seeing as though we'll be sailing around to various islands anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Don't see why we can't have both to be perfectly honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Don't see why we can't have both to be perfectly honest.
    That's basically what we had in Wrath of the Lich King, you had your boats and zeps to Northrend and back, but also likely had your Hearthstone set to Dalaran, as well as portals to each of the main faction cities. Let us have our manual travel for those that enjoy the scenic/immersive route, and quick travel for those who need to get places asap for whatever reason.

Having to go everywhere with portals just makes the world feel less connected and cohesive, instead just makes it feel like each continent may as well be its own separate planet half the time.
    Last edited by Marmot; 2018-02-22 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    For the last few expansions now, we've seen that the only real method of getting to expansion continents is through portals or hearthstones.

The last time we saw boats and zeppelins to a new continent was in Wrath of the Lich King which had boats for the Alliance to Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord from Stormwind and Menethil Harbor respectively, while the Horde had Zeppelins to Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord from Orgrimmar and Undercity respectively.

After Wrath, we saw cataclysm which had zones scattered around Azeroth with the main mode of travel being portals in each faction's capital city, or flying to ones which existed in the main continents (if you so desired).

Mists of Pandaria then had a portal in each faction's capital once more, without any other option of travel to reach it. Once 5.1 came around and each faction established a coastal base in Krasarang Wilds, it could have made sense for each faction to have a ship to these locations.

Warlords of Draenor functioned similarly to TBC as it existed through the Dark Portal, except using the Dark Portal itself was incredibly janky in comparison for some reason, and also made zero sense anyway since the portal was destroyed in the introductory segment of the expansion. From there on we used portals to access the area once more (which in fairness is probably the only way this could have been done given how it played out).

Legion has our main access point to the Broken Isles being Dalaran, via portals from the factions capitals once more, or a hearthstone. Sure, the main hub is the capital of the Kirin Tor, so portals make a lot of sense, but it could have been nice if we had at least some form of manual transport to reach the continent.

Finally we have the upcoming expansion Battle for Azeroth, and at a guess, we will probably end up using portals again to reach Zandalar and Kul'tiras.

Personally I feel like having boats and zeppelins to continents that exist on Azeroth adds a little extra to the immersion, making it feel like you're actually travelling a great distance to a location rather than simply hopping through a portal and suddenly you're on the other side of the world, which is getting kinda boring and feels kinda lazy at this point.

So as with the title of the thread, why don't we see boats and zeppelins anymore?
    I enjoy waiting 4 minutes for a boat instead of flying or teleporting. Why would we ever use a boat anywhere ever when we literally have an army of mages with us at every fight and every city

5+ Year Old Account
    That ship/zep sailed with Cata, bruh.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing some bloodsail quests today and I for one certainly miss boats. Portals are handy at max level I suppose. Whilst questing I prefer boats and flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperJay View Post
    I enjoy waiting 4 minutes for a boat instead of flying or teleporting. Why would we ever use a boat anywhere ever when we literally have an army of mages with us at every fight and every city
    Portals are convenient but they make the game feel disconnected. Boats feel like you're actually travelling somewhere. Some may not care for them, but they certainly add a little extra to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Doing some bloodsail quests today and I for one certainly miss boats. Portals are handy at max level I suppose. Whilst questing I prefer boats and flying.
    I personally felt they made the world feel more alive, would be nice to see them make a return.

They should go full FFXI and have boat rides take 20 minutes

...well, I mean they kind of do.

I remember the uproar when they removed the capital portals from Northrend Dalaran (which, lets not forget, they HAD portals to all the capitals in old Dalaran). Immersion is great and all, but I know I'd sure get over immersion pretty quickly if I had to wait 4-10 minutes every time I traveled between major areas.

We take boats to get to Zandalar & KT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    We take boats to get to Zandalar & KT.
    Is that just the initial intro quest though? Or will the boats exist as transport beyond the introduction?

10+ Year Old Account
    technically we traveled to Pandaria via Airship (at least for Alliance) :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    technically we traveled to Pandaria via Airship (at least for Alliance) :P
    Yeah but it doesn't exist as a mode of transport beyond the introduction

Pretty sure we travel by boats and zeppelins in BfA again.

Whilst I prefer it over portals, especially now when we've got Broken Isles Dalaran with all the portals one might need, I won't jump the "hurr durr muh immursiun!!"-bandwagon.

Zeppelins and boats are fun enough and gives atmosphere, but I'm more likely to be brought out of my immersion waiting for them. Not to mention how they will always break up the experience by having a loading screen. The biggest reason for why I prefer them over portals, is how they make players congregate and look at one-another. Also: they make it necessary to build hubs where boats/zeppelins move through, which to me spells the sensation of a more natural feel to a busy area.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    They should go full FFXI and have boat rides take 20 minutes
    i remember maplestroy where you had to sit and wait 20 minutes with everyone for the boat rides and people would jump around dropping "small" amounts of coin for all the lil noobs to pick up, then when you go on the ship it could be attacked, and if the lil noobs didnt go inside during it they could die and lose exp from getting 1 shot by mobs waaay too strong for the area.

man maplestory was fun until you understood just how much of a shit RNG fest and grind fest it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Probably because a portal is cheaper development-wise than making a boat (and the fact of the matter is we've kind of run out of room to berth boats for both factions Bladefist Bay and Stormwind harbour are pretty packed as-is.

Because in a world infused with magic to the point where even the most braindead of people often can cast basic cantrips, and mages can teleport as easy as breathing, portal magic isn't immersive?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Probably because a portal is cheaper development-wise than making a boat (and the fact of the matter is we've kind of run out of room to berth boats for both factions Bladefist Bay and Stormwind harbour are pretty packed as-is.
    While true, we have some excellent peons capable of expanding said harbors! :P

While as long as the way we get there is cool I don't mind too much I can see the appeal of a good old fashioned boat ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    While as long as the way we get there is cool I don't mind too much I can see the appeal of a good old fashioned boat ride.

True, that one was definitely one of the more iconic boat rides