Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Grinding vs dailies/WQs

For some weird reason, I can happily spend half a day every day grinding mobs, gathering resources, fishing and so on, but I hate dailies and WQs with a passion.

I can do them for a week at most and then I am done. This one of the main reasons I am looking forward to Classic - I can do what I want, when I want, for how long I want.

Am I one of the weird ones or are there other players that feels the same about grinding vs dailies?

5+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. Back in TBC when dailies first arrived I loved the change it brought to the normal grind but with time I started hating it with a passion and now I prefer normal grinding again.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    Grinding mobs is pretty relaxing. It's largely pointless in terms of story as it's just poking around killing whatever comes across your path. If you enjoy undirected play then I would imagine you're more likely to enjoy grinding mobs from time to time than someone who needs a game reason/game given goal to do something.

I enjoyed Timeless Isle for exactly this reason. There were a ton of mobs around to go after and altogether they had some variety in mechanics. It's also why I didn't mind the dailies in Warlords too much. "Go here, kill things, hit birds with rocks, collect stuff in just about any ratio of A to B to C that you care for" was basically all they were. Cool.

If you want to have a game/story reason to go somewhere and do something then you'll be more amenable to quests.

I don't think players like us are a majority though. Or even close to it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Prefer grinding and being done and dusted over this current rubbish WQ paragon system leaving it to RNG...

Vanilla grinding is a game by itself. Very rewarding

I can do menial labor in Minecraft for hours, but WoW's grind never appealed to me. Dailies and World Quests aren't that much more engaging, but still above the line of motivation, especially when they are accompanied by a developing story like Suramar and Molten Front.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    I prefer mindless grinding over WQs/Dailies for sure. For example yesterday i grinded like 1500 Ogres for the Maghar Reputation. And yes it was dull but it was more relaxing then doing Worldquests where the Rewards are pretty much not needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Grinding is way more enjoyable than world quests. I also enjoy gathering a lot. I also liked old style dailies more than WQs. They tended to be shorter lived with an end goal (like getting exalted). Legion world quests are just lazy game design.

Fun fact : There is no grinding in WoW these days. NONE.

When you start playing Vanilla - then you will see grinding.

Not enjoyable wandering around picking herbs grinding ... but countless hours of killing the same mob over and over grinding.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Grinding in vanilla was essentially only for your own benefit and you didn’t really need to do it unless you wanted a tabard, pet or w/e. The only rep you needed to grind if you hadn’t was the Argent Dawn. If I recall correctly you needed atleast revered to be attuned to Naxx. That’s why I think it felt easier than butting your head against the daily quests we have now. I remember grinding Timbermaw Hold to exalted and it wasn’t a hassle at all but I just kept killing bears.

Now you are forced into dailies, world quests or what you want to call it.
    Last edited by babyback; 2018-05-04 at 11:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of grinds, the Legion legendary grind was the most frustrating grind I have ever done in WoW. Gating class features and play styles behind an RNG grind was a really bad idea. Nothing quite like grinding for weeks only to get the wrong legendary... again.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Grinding in vanilla was essentially only for your own benefit and you didn’t really need to do it unless you wanted a tabard, pet or w/e. The only rep you needed to grind if you hadn’t was the Argent Dawn. If I recall correctly you needed atleast revered to be attuned to Naxx. That’s why I think it felt easier than butting your head against the daily quests we have now. I remember grinding Timbermaw Hold to exalted and it wasn’t a hassle at all but I just kept killing bears.

Now you are forced into dailies, world quests or what you want to call it.
    Pretty much this

Dailies felt like they were mandatory to stay ahead of the curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I can do menial labor in Minecraft for hours, but WoW's grind never appealed to me. Dailies and World Quests aren't that much more engaging, but still above the line of motivation, especially when they are accompanied by a developing story like Suramar and Molten Front.
    It's weird how oddly in the zone you can get in Minecraft. Even if I prefer Creative Mode, I can still jump in Survival Mode and just mine and mine for ages. Not even fancy stuff, just stone and coal. It's weird.

OT: Why not both? I always preferred more options opposed to less. Sometimes you like to change things up, and sometimes one style alone isn't enough for the entire player base.

...I really want to play Minecraft now.

I think I prefer vanilla grinding to daily questing simply because I can do what I set my goals for immediately and then be done with it for the week, or do it whenever the hell I want and not feel tied down, rather than having to come back every day (or every 3 days as it is now with world quests). The grinds were also more arbitrary than the dailiy quests, the grind was always catered to your specific need, rather than some all encompassing grind. In Legion, you'd always be grinding for AP and Legendaries, but in vanilla, you'd be grinding mats for, say, Flask of the Titans so you'd be out fishing Stonescale Eel for a few hours, do some herbing for even more hours, and if you're lucky find a Black Lotus or two, or you could try get the gold needed to buy the Flasks instead. The next day you could be grinding for the more minor consumables like Armor Elixir and Elixir of Fortitude.

I prefer the grinding, because with Dailies you have to well log every day...
    In the weekend I have more time to play, so I rather farm and do stuff in one large sitting of a few hours.
    Instead of logging in EVERY night just to do the dailies. Thinking mostly about gaining reputations.

If not geared or gearing an alt - WQ and daily seems to be a job. Forcing to log on every 2 days to complete emissary, if not you will miss out of essence, resources, potential legendaries, etc..

I don't mind a grind for specific rewards, such as the Shaohao grind.

But mindless grinding is just that, and I'll prefer WQ's that I can do and be done with for a day so that I can go do other things. Any way one spins it, WQs and emissaries are a far lesser time investment than brainless grinds. I do emissaries every 3 days, so not even every day.

I'm a fan of choice, I like dailies with the added choice of grinding when I have free time. Dailies and WQ make you log on if you don't want to lose out. Grinding just lets you no life a weekend.

TBC was good for this. Factions often had dailies with some grinding options as well.

Group grinding/farming with voice chat is the best though.

The key to grinding mobs was to make it competitive for yourself and it was rewarding. I remember grinding the plaguelands for various things and I felt seriously rewarded for it, when I could expect 1-2 patterns or whatever an hour and end up with 3-4, I was stoked.

Daily and world quests don't have that kind of return potential so they are way more boring to do long term.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Grinding mobs is pretty relaxing. It's largely pointless in terms of story as it's just poking around killing whatever comes across your path. If you enjoy undirected play then I would imagine you're more likely to enjoy grinding mobs from time to time than someone who needs a game reason/game given goal to do something.

I enjoyed Timeless Isle for exactly this reason. There were a ton of mobs around to go after and altogether they had some variety in mechanics. It's also why I didn't mind the dailies in Warlords too much. "Go here, kill things, hit birds with rocks, collect stuff in just about any ratio of A to B to C that you care for" was basically all they were. Cool.

If you want to have a game/story reason to go somewhere and do something then you'll be more amenable to quests.

I don't think players like us are a majority though. Or even close to it.
    Grinding mobs is really relaxing. I think that's why I enjoyed farming for pets for my wife. She loved the pets, and I loved the quiet of killing ooze after ooze in Swamp of Sorrows looking for that damn oozeling. Great way to unwind after a particularly stressful raid.