Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I work for a retail company in California, and I can choose to deny a refund a reason for any reason, though if I do so outside of established policy I'll have to answer to my manager as to why I did it if the customer raises a stink over it.
    No, you can't legally. https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refunds Argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedon View Post
    No, you can't legally. https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refunds Argue with that.
    "When a store clearly displays a limited or no-refund policy, however, refunds and exchanges are not required by law. So don’t assume a store will allow you to return an item if you change your mind. Check the store’s return policy before you buy."

"In California, retailers that won’t give a full refund or credit, allow an equal exchange, or any combination of these options, within seven days of purchase when goods are returned with a receipt, must clearly display their policy at each cash register and sales counter, or at each public entrance, or on tags attached to each item sold under the policy, or on the retail seller’s order forms, if any."

Thank you for your proving my argument for me. Both Blizz and my store clearly have the refund policy right there where it can be seen, on the purchase page before you buy for them and right by our register for us. Blizz has a limited refund policy, where they flat out said on the page what you could do to invalidate getting a refund. You don't have a leg to stand on.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedon View Post
    Doesn't take much, in a retail environment, to say "that looks used" and deny the refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Doesn't take much, in a retail environment, to say "that looks used" and deny the refund.
    Pretty much. Like I said in post #184 I have a lot of leeway in how I interpret the policy. Had a lady come in just last night to return a hair dryer she bought. She said it was so hot that it was burning her even on low setting and the thing itself was getting so hot she was worried she might start a fire. No receipt or original packaging. I had many reasons to deny her refund. But I chose not to because she was polite with me. On the other hand if I was Blizz and was dealing with the OP I'd go into the rulebooks to find every loophole I could to deny a refund.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    If your financial situation is so fragile that ~$70 can break the bank, maybe rethink your priorities.
    Nah man it's a one off situation, I'll manage.

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    Thanks both for your posts. Since I believe EU consumer laws are fairly modern and fairly pro-consumer, I was wondering if there was actually a place anywhere in the world that would accept full refunds on used digital products.

And there doesn't seem to be (apart from some individual store policy in US - but that seems rather unlikely).
    Perhaps one day, the digital will be treated like physical products - but for now, it really shouldn't be a huge surprise to get these types of requests denied. Should probably be exactly the opposite - be surprised if you actually manage to get a refund. Probably a rare occasion.
    Steam gives refunds no questions asked if you haven't played more than 2 hours or had it over 14 days

Even Steam has the following clause: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
    I mean, that's few and far between, I have never had an issue with a refund. If something is irreversible of course a refund is out of the question, that's kind of like returning used tp

Thanks both for your posts. Since I believe EU consumer laws are fairly modern and fairly pro-consumer, I was wondering if there was actually a place anywhere in the world that would accept full refunds on used digital products.

And there doesn't seem to be (apart from some individual store policy in US - but that seems rather unlikely).
    Perhaps one day, the digital will be treated like physical products - but for now, it really shouldn't be a huge surprise to get these types of requests denied. Should probably be exactly the opposite - be surprised if you actually manage to get a refund. Probably a rare occasion.
    There's a big difference between being pro-consumer and the rabid "screw big corporations" opinions that are going around in this thread. There needs to be a balance between these things, but some people here believe that consumers should hold all the cards and be able to do anything they want.

Deleted
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Yes, they permanently closed it.

Nothing I can't get back though, I mean you get a free boost when you get an account so it's not like I lost it.

Now if this was 2007 that would be a completely different story.
    you absolute clown xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    I don't play Legion. I didn't buy Legion either. So that's what you get for making dumb assumptions.
    Speak loudly for this guy, he will have trouble hearing you, what with all the 'whoooshes' going over his head from all the points he keeps missing.

Tells people they are silly to pre-order products as past products have not been good - in his opinion - yet didn't experience the latest product, though still feels qualified to tell others not to pre-order the next product even though you may have been perfectly happy with Legion

10 out of fucking 10.

Not to state the obvious but isn't it common sense that if you Pre-Order BFA which includes a lvl 110 boost and Allied Classes, that once you use them you can no longer get a refund.... No one can seriously expect a refund if you have used the free items or early access to items when purchasing digital items.

If you buy a physical item that comes with a free gift attached, then you can only return if both are returned un used (Still sealed) once you open just one of the items you can no longer returned because you changed your mind or need the money you spent back

10+ Year Old Account
    An unfortunate situation that you bumped into (hopefully minor) unforeseen money issues, however it isn't really a "trap" as you kinda failed to read the fine print.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Basicly the only reason to preorder was to get this "free" boost for cheaper then the store , or intend to play allied races.

Of course they aren't gonna refund someone who used a boost or unlocked said races...

If you ordered the deluxe version just for the mounts, but haven't used the boost/allied races, then yes, a refund still makes sense. But I suppose those mounts are taken away as they should.

Reverting a questline (or up to 4 questlines with multiple progress) for each individual person isn't as simple as removing a mount.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-12 at 12:03 PM.

That may be what they said but i can conform if its only the boost used they can, and have in some cases, locked the character and refund.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, that's few and far between, I have never had an issue with a refund. If something is irreversible of course a refund is out of the question, that's kind of like returning used tp
    Well, if blizzard doesn't want to reverse each individual quest step, or reversing boosts / deleting allied race, that's almost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    An unfortunate situation that you bumped into (hopefully minor) unforeseen money issues, however it isn't really a "trap" as you kinda failed to read the fine print.
    It's not even "fine print". It is stated there quite obviously.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    That may be what they said but i can conform if its only the boost used they can, and have in some cases, locked the character and refund.
    Just because they did in the past, doesn't mean they will again, since BfA preorder has so much more, they'd have to check each account's progress, lots of extra work compared to 1 WoD/Legion boost or whatever.

They'd have to track down each character on the account to see if they did some BfA/Allied race quest on it, still more work then locking a demon hunter or a boost.

Blizz placed the responsibility in the consumer hand this time around.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-12 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Just because they did in the past, doesn't mean they will again, since BfA preorder has so much more, they'd have to check each account's progress, lots of extra work compared to 1 WoD/Legion boost or whatever.

They'd have to track down each character on the account to see if they did some BfA/Allied race quest on it, still more work then locking a demon hunter or a boost.

Blizz placed the responsibility in the consumer hand this time around.
    I'm talking about BfA. It took some complaining but its definately not a hard rule.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybear14 View Post
    Not to state the obvious but isn't it common sense that if you Pre-Order BFA which includes a lvl 110 boost and Allied Classes, that once you use them you can no longer get a refund.... No one can seriously expect a refund if you have used the free items or early access to items when purchasing digital items.

If you buy a physical item that comes with a free gift attached, then you can only return if both are returned un used (Still sealed) once you open just one of the items you can no longer returned because you changed your mind or need the money you spent back
    The boost is not a physical item. They can simply lock the boosted character if you refund, until you re-buy the expansion. It is true that if you preorder / boost / then refund, they you get some play out of the boosted character, but you also were paying a sub, so.

The truth is, this boost is in the expansion in part exactly to provide a reason to deny refunds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    It's all automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Just a friendly heads up for anyone that has yet to preorder Battle for Azeroth. I attempted to refund today as I found myself a bit short on cash due to unforeseen circumstances (intending to repurchase it again next month), and was told that as I had used my boost and had unlocked the allied races I would therefore not be able to receive a refund.

Their policy was listed on the purchase page as I had found out and is as follows:

"You can contact us for a refund of the Battle for Azeroth prepurchase any time before the expansion launches as long as you have not:

- Used the included Level 110 Boost

- Fully unlocked the ability to create an Allied Race character

It may take several days for funds to be credited back to the original payment method."

I'll have to make do in this circumstance as it seems there's nothing I can do, but just wanted to put this reminder out for people who are still considering preordering.

Edited language in the post as people seem to be misunderstanding my intentions in this post.
    If the BfA language tricked you just wait until you get into the adult world and have to deal with contracts, employment agreements, insurance, etc.

Laws, lawyers, and contract terms are no joke and no one is going to protect you. *You* must protect yourself at all times. This means you need to read AND *understand* what you are agreeing to. There are no "take-backsees" and no do-overs. You can't even say "but I *thought* you meant something different. Both sides must abide by the terms, and only the terms, of a legal contract.

For example, if you lease an apartment for 12 months and then 2 months into the lease you decide it's causing you financial hardship and you want to move out you need to understand the terms in the rental contract around breaking the lease. Hopefully you gave some serious thought before you signed because...some contracts can legally force you to pay the FULL remaining 10 months of rent! Crying in the rental office, posting to twitter, none of that is going to change the terms of your contract.

As long as it is a legal contract between two consenting adults you must abide by the terms of that contract. Not a joke and feelings don't apply to contracts. As an adult entering a legally binding contract it is *your responsibility alone* to make the decision about agreeing to *all* of the terms of the contract. That includes the terms that are written in small letters. Even the terms you think will never apply to you. Even the terms you don't like. And the most important one, *even the terms you decide not to read*.

If you enter a legally binding contract, it's yours to keep. Best of luck out there!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    I don't play Legion. I didn't buy Legion either. So that's what you get for making dumb assumptions.
    Then again, WHY are you still here? =)

You think Blizzard fucked up an addon that you did not even play... congrats.