Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ryzen 3 22/2400g build?

Hey all, I'm back ~3 months later looking at the current market because this thread piqued my interest. I'm currently in a mythic raiding guild and between my addons and low clocked CPU, I'm sitting at 5-15 fps for most bosses and it's just not working out. So once more, let's look into a new build. (Bonus, my previous thread)

I'm looking at a Ryzen 3 22/2400g build, primarily considering "how can I upgrade this" in a few years. Below are current vs. what I've been looking at.

Current Laptop Specs
    i5-6200U @ 2.3GHz (turbo at 2.8GHz)
    12GB Ram (upgraded from 8GB a year ago)
    940MX - 2GB DDR5
    256GB SSD (added a 1TB 2.5" HDD) (I've also got a spare 256 m.2)

Potential Build (budget ~$450)
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $415.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-15 15:53 EDT-0400

My assumption is that if I can just go ahead and get an ATX mobo and mid-sized tower, I can grow into them when the gpu market falls or I magically come across enough money to purchase one at these prices. Since my goal isn't 1080/60/ultra or anything, I think this will work out for me. The base clock of the 2200g is a significant upgrade, paired with the fact that I can OC, I think it's pretty good. The biggest trouble I'm having with this build is the case, tbh. So all this to say has anyone had a chance to play WoW on a 2200g? Any drawbacks if I'm just looking to raid with some stable fps?
    Last edited by acecow; 2018-03-16 at 10:20 PM.

I would skip the onboard graphics of the new ryzen chips for WoW. WoW really does have a preference for intel and nvidia, you cant go by other game benchmarks with WoW its a completely different animal.

A far better option would be buying used parts. Anything from a gtx 660 and up will be a massive upgrade over the graphics on the 2200/2400g chips, as for cpu you could either buy a used intel part or g4560/core i3 8100, both will play WoW better than that ryzen APU (again you cant go by clockrates with WoW, even if you overclocked the ryzen the g4560 will play the game better).

I've heard the Vega chip on the 2200 is similar to a GTX 1030 (in itself not such a great card), why suggest the 4560/8100 and a 660? What are average prices for used models? I know WoW favors Intel (or supposedly), but I also know that it favors a high single clock core. Could I potentially get an Intel build for around $450?

Gtx 660 is a much faster card than a 1030 and can be found for similar or less money, gtx 660 is the starting point i would suggest people search for in the used market. G4560 will outperform a ryzen chip in WoW even overclocked, i tested a ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.8ghz and a 8700k underclocked to 3.8ghz, the intel machine performed 30-35% better at the same clockrate, all other components in the system were the same. This isnt a problem with AMD cpu's necessarily but the WoW engine uses an intel compiler which makes up most of that performance difference.

This is what id do:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($112.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill - GRAM ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($21.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $352.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-16 18:35 EDT-0400

This leaves you 100 bucks to play with for a used GPU. Gtx 660, 660ti, 670, 680, 760, 770, 780 etc. Id personally try and find a gtx 770 for 100 bucks, they are out there.

Mmm, sounds good. Thanks for the counter-points. I've got a friend who'd be willing to give me this card, I believe. Would it be worth changing the 8100 to an 8350k to overclock it?

Quote Originally Posted by acecow View Post
    Mmm, sounds good. Thanks for the counter-points. I've got a friend who'd be willing to give me this card, I believe. Would it be worth changing the 8100 to an 8350k to overclock it?
    That would be very generous of your friend, those sell from 100-150 right now

As for getting the 8350k i feel its a bad product, its too close to the 8400 in price. That said if this machine is only playing wow, its probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That said if this machine is only playing wow, its probably worth it.
    Well, it's coming from my guild leader, so I'm going to assume he likes me. I'd say primarily WoW and other Blizzard games (sans OW), and then maybe some older RPGs, but as stated before, I'm fine with 1080p at medium, or even dropping to 720p for high for those titles.

That would be very generous of your friend, those sell from 100-150 right now

As for getting the 8350k i feel its a bad product, its too close to the 8400 in price. That said if this machine is only playing wow, its probably worth it.
    Unless you have a need for 6 cores, the 8350k is superior to the 8400, for gaming in general, which hardly anything uses more than 4 cores (wow only uses 1), the ability to overclock the 8350k makes it a better choice for gaming over the 8400.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    Unless you have a need for 6 cores, the 8350k is superior to the 8400, for gaming in general, which hardly anything uses more than 4 cores (wow only uses 1), the ability to overclock the 8350k makes it a better choice for gaming over the 8400.
    Thats not true at all lol. Like i said if its only a WoW machine the 8350k is better but 4core 4thread CPU's are quickly becoming outdated. Many games will play far better on a 6 core 8400 at stock speeds than they will on a overclocked 8350k, cores trump clockspeed in the games that can take advantage of them, and that will be the trend going forward.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thats not true at all lol. Like i said if its only a WoW machine the 8350k is better but 4core 4thread CPU's are quickly becoming outdated. Many games will play far better on a 6 core 8400 at stock speeds than they will on a overclocked 8350k, cores trump clockspeed in the games that can take advantage of them, and that will be the trend going forward.
    got any proof on that or any links, because i can't find any. Quard core cpu's will still more then fine for gaming for the next 2-3 years. Just because cpu's are getting more cores, doesn't meen that games will take advantage of it.

We have had Quard cores for over 10 years now and most games still don't even take advantage of 4 cores, so the whole quickly becoming outdated is just BS
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    got any proof on that or any links, because i can't find any. Quard core cpu's will still more then fine for gaming for the next 2-3 years. Just because cpu's are getting more cores, doesn't meen that games will take advantage of it.

We have had Quard cores for over 10 years now and most games still don't even take advantage of 4 cores, so the whole quickly becoming outdated is just BS
    We had quad cores for over 10 years yes, the reason why games haven't taken advantage of those in most of those years because the quad cores were priced beyond most peoples budget.

You try selling a $180 CPU to your average joe gamer, its not easy, sell them a $50 dual core cpu and they will take it, its half the count but less then half the price.

Quad cores can now be had much cheaper and in the current market, you can get 6 core cpus cheaper then quad cores were back in the day, thats progress and the current slew of products will see a better uptake because price commands everything, not performance.

I mean, having said all that though, if the majority of what I'm playing is WoW, followed by older titles, do I really need 6 cores? I feel that if I have a need for 6 cores, I can probably upgrade after ~2 years, yeah?

Like i said, you are one of the few people where a 8350k actually makes sense

If you wanted to go even cheaper ive seen the 7350k on sale for 119.00 bucks at times and when overclocked that will match a 8700k in WoW. Motherboards can usually be found cheaper as well, z170/270.

If you wanted to go even cheaper ive seen the 7350k on sale for 119.00 bucks at times and when overclocked that will match a 8700k in WoW. Motherboards can usually be found cheaper as well, z170/270.
    Oh? What are the key differences between 7th and 8th gen? I'll admit, I haven't been following too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by acecow View Post
    Oh? What are the key differences between 7th and 8th gen? I'll admit, I haven't been following too closely.
    7350k is dual core with hyperthreading, 8350k is a quad core. For WoW wont be any noticeable difference between the two.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look into those as well!

I would stick to the 8350K that way if in 2 years you want more cores, you can still pop in an 8700K.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    We had quad cores for over 10 years yes, the reason why games haven't taken advantage of those in most of those years because the quad cores were priced beyond most peoples budget.

You try selling a $180 CPU to your average joe gamer, its not easy, sell them a $50 dual core cpu and they will take it, its half the count but less then half the price.

Quad cores can now be had much cheaper and in the current market, you can get 6 core cpus cheaper then quad cores were back in the day, thats progress and the current slew of products will see a better uptake because price commands everything, not performance.
    And for the last 5 years the i5 has been in top 3 of most sold cpu's on Amazon, so price is really not an excuse.

So for the next 2-3 years a quard core will be more then enough to run new games without any FPS problems, so again the whole "becoming outdated" is not a thing
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    And for the last 5 years the i5 has been in top 3 of most sold cpu's on Amazon, so price is really not an excuse.

So for the next 2-3 years a quard core will be more then enough to run new games without any FPS problems, so again the whole "becoming outdated" is not a thing
    Ok, what you don't get is, OEM systems out sell budding system builders and DIY gamers, amazon isn't the only store people buy from either.

If more people actually had quad cores in that time, it would also mean a bigger install base to sell to and make a return on that extra effort of polish in the game for optimisation, but this hasn't happened.

Price is king, theres a reason why people pick consoles and price is big factor, theres no denying it, console sales dwarf PC game sales by a point that devs don't need pc gamers for their main titles.

There are already games on the market that not only play better on a 6 core than a quad core, but there are games that play better on a 8700k than an 8600k.....and these chips just released.

These are just how things work, a few years ago people said dual cores were "good enough" now there are lots of games that wont even load with a dual core.