Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Horde Why Durotar? A desert with almost nothing useful and why they didn't change it?

I'm not sure if it has been asked or not but, why did the Horde settle their capital city in a desert with next to nothing useful and barely any farm-able land. Or if there was no other choice but to settle there why didn't they try to at least change the land into a more liveable place?

Couldn't the Hordes shamans call for help from the elements or the druids heal the land and restore it to have lush forests or grass lands? For me it seems like they had no reason not to do it or it seems silly that they wouldn't be able to as the Horde has many capable shamans and druids like Hamuul or Thrall for example.

Because Thrall wanted to punish his people and put them in a desert "to make them tough".

Deleted
    Because it has boars to kill for lvl 1s yo

Because instead of doing that they prefer to war for resources.

Orc Logic.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoultan View Post
    I'm not sure if it has been asked or not but, why did the Horde settle their capital city in a desert with next to nothing useful and barely any farm-able land. Or if there was no other choice but to settle there why didn't they try to at least change the land into a more liveable place?

Couldn't the Hordes shamans call for help from the elements or the druids heal the land and restore it to have lush forests or grass lands? For me it seems like they had no reason not to do it or it seems silly that they wouldn't be able to as the Horde has many capable shamans and druids like Hamuul or Thrall for example.
    Thrall wanted the orcs to pay for their sins or something...
    As for why they didn’t change Durotar. I always thought that it’s because they understand that nature doesn’t need some assholes to force it into their own idea of “good”. They aren’t night elves.

Aside of Thralls dipshit explanation they really had not much to choose. They sailed to Kalimdor to establish the Horde and follow the Prophet and landed in a charred wasteland, not much could have been done about it. Look at the map, from where they landed they could choose between a desert (Barrens), a desert (Thousand Needles), a desert (Desolace) and a desert with a tiny bit of water and like 3 trees (Durotar). You could say there's Ashenvale, Azshara and Stonetalon Mountains but guess what, once they stepped a foot in there some asshole Night Elves started shooting without explanation.

Aside of that, Thrall mentioned that Durotar looked like Orc homeland, and by that time Blizzard had no idea how they are going to end up with Outland (hint: it looks like everything but Durotar).

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Aside of Thralls dipshit explanation they really had not much to choose. They sailed to Kalimdor to establish the Horde and follow the Prophet and landed in a charred wasteland, not much could have been done about it. Look at the map, from where they landed they could choose between a desert (Barrens), a desert (Thousand Needles), a desert (Desolace) and a desert with a tiny bit of water and like 3 trees (Durotar). You could say there's Ashenvale, Azshara and Stonetalon Mountains but guess what, once they stepped a foot in there some asshole Night Elves started shooting without explanation.

Aside of that, Thrall mentioned that Durotar looked like Orc homeland, and by that time Blizzard had no idea how they are going to end up with Outland (hint: it looks like everything but Durotar).
    Didn't Thrall say he had the option of settling somewhere more resourceful but chose the desert because he believed the rough land was better for the Orcs? I think it was in The Shattering,

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Didn't Thrall say he had the option of settling somewhere more resourceful but chose the desert because he believed the rough land was better for the Orcs? I think it was in The Shattering,
    My bad, didn't read that one. Wonder where could that be tho, given the geography of the region.

Deleted

Okay I can understand that they couldn't really choose and other lands were already occupied but what about changing the land through shamanism or druidism or some sort of other power?

Because Thrall is originally African.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-03-08 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Received Infraction

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    I always thought that it’s because they understand that nature doesn’t need some assholes to force it into their own idea of “good”. They aren’t night elves.
    Surely the elements would understand the reason of the plea from the orcs and other races who live there and would consider it at least? After all the shamans usually do help the elements no and then they grant their favor to those who helped them?

Because that's where Medivh told him to go.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Because it was close to Hyall, yet "out of the way" enough to allow the orcs to build up.

- They would not have survived a travel back to eastern kingdoms
    - A bit further south admiral proudmorne would deal with them
    - A bit further west or north they would have stepped on the toes of night-elves

And we are not talking about a healthy fighting force they were left with after Hyall...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    Thrall wanted the orcs to pay for their sins or something...
    As for why they didn’t change Durotar. I always thought that it’s because they understand that nature doesn’t need some assholes to force it into their own idea of “good”. They aren’t night elves.
    Someone had a talk with Drek'thar about this once, I don't remember who. This person asked him why they lived in cold, miserable Alterac Valley and didn't use the power of the elements to make the land more comfortable for them. Drek'thar flat out told this person that if he abused the elements in such a way they would never listen to him again.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I mean, the Tauren and Jaina's forces were also setteling around the same time as Thrall's Orcs and they managed to find a place that wasn't a sodding desert.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Someone had a talk with Drek'thar about this once, I don't remember who. This person asked him why they lived in cold, miserable Alterac Valley and didn't use the power of the elements to make the land more comfortable for them. Drek'thar flat out told this person that if he abused the elements in such a way they would never listen to him again.
    Yeah! That’s what made me reach this conclusion.

What are the Orc demographics since the settling of Durotar?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    But what about not abusing them but asking for a favor in return of future help? I mean shamans do cooperate with the elements in a way and if that doesn't work Garrosh had dark shamans who could abuse them and even enslave the elements so in that case they wont have much choice but to obey and help them.

There was also Mulgore. Would be enough space for orcs and tauren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Thrall chose Durotar both because the harsh conditions were suitable for the Orcs, and as an act of penance - if the Orcs could reclaim the land and use their rekindled connection to the Elements to make it into something new they could partially atone for the destruction of their own world through the use of the Fel.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead