Pc won't boot before taking the graphic card out and reseating it

Hey

A friend of mine got a pc. (i don't know the specs, but i think that is irrellevant here) 3 days ago when started it, it just didn't start. The graphic card made a short flash of its lights and the fan spun like 1 turn and the pc turned itself off again. Unable to boot the pc.

Another friend of mine went over to help him getting it up and after taking the gpu out of the motherboard and reseating it. The pc started and he could play and use the pc like normal. However. it restarted once during an overwatch session. All temps were fine, he was monitoring it. No temp issues.

Today when he went to turn on the pc. The same issue. Wouldn't boot.

Any suggestions to what can be causing this ? my guess is the power supply failing. Can't really think of anything else. Would be good to get a few inputs

My first thought is make sure the bracket on the video card (where you screw it down) isnt bent. Ive had video cards brand new come with bent brackets that i had to make straight.

I had the same issue Years ago when i first built my own PC,

Computer would turn on but nothing would display, i had to manually remove and reseat the GPU for the computer to actually work.
    I tried replacing everything, even the graphic card at one point, until one day my PSU started making extremely dodgy noises and i was forced to replace it.

Everything worked perfectly after. PSU was just very dodgy.

Would recommend linking the specs of the PC. If the PSU is not a decent make i would suggest replacing that.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    I had the same issue Years ago when i first built my own PC,

Computer would turn on but nothing would display, i had to manually remove and reseat the GPU for the computer to actually work.
    I tried replacing everything, even the graphic card at one point, until one day my PSU started making extremely dodgy noises and i was forced to replace it.

Everything worked perfectly after. PSU was just very dodgy.

Would recommend linking the specs of the PC. If the PSU is not a decent make i would suggest replacing that.
    I can get the specs of the pc later when he get home, but it was a pre-built pc from a really good and respectable vendor, the Norwegian equivalent of Newegg and sites like that. The psu would be sufficient and the shop only sell quality brands when it comes to psu's, corsair, evga, cooler master, so thats not the problem. But it might ofcourse be broken, something wrong with it. he does have an older psu lying around. im gonna ask to replace the psu and go from there

Is there an onboard video port you could try for display? I would check power cables to the motherboard, maybe you need to reseat them. Lastly, you can test your PSU by using the paperclip trick (check youtube).