Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I could theoretically see it working from a lore perspective and a gameplay one (IIRC they're basically reskinned Draenei) but there doesn't seem to be much demand for them AFAIK.

Admittedly that could be because they're old and irrelevant now, but even when people do bring up Pandaria races it's usually the Jinyu and Hozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    I could theoretically see it working from a lore perspective and a gameplay one (IIRC they're basically reskinned Draenei) but there doesn't seem to be much demand for them AFAIK.

Admittedly that could be because they're old and irrelevant now, but even when people do bring up Pandaria races it's usually the Jinyu and Hozen.
    The only problem with Hozen are their ages and loyalty. They die at 20. You don't want an Allied Race that'd keel over in a few expansions and have mercurial loyalties to the Horde. Something like the Mogu, who are apparently ageless and are fiercely loyal to whoever their leader is provided they're strong enough, would be a more obvious counterpart to the otherwise similarly powerful Jinyu.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubark View Post
    The only problem with Hozen are their ages and loyalty. They die at 20. You don't want an Allied Race that'd keel over in a few expansions and have mercurial loyalties to the Horde. Something like the Mogu, who are apparently ageless and are fiercely loyal to whoever their leader is provided they're strong enough, would be a more obvious counterpart to the otherwise similarly powerful Jinyu.
    The age thing could be rerouted for a faction for the Allied Races. The Monkey King is chilling in Zandalar with some special winged Hozen. If you talk to the Hozen, they tell you about having recently received these wings, meaning they weren't born with them, and if you ask the Monkey King about them he says "You have your secrets, I have mine". Perhaps whatever blessed these Hozen with wings could also be a source of blessing them with extended life like the Monkey King himself.

Still, I would prefer Mogu.

Give them the kaja cola.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, there was an interview with Lead Game Producer, Daniel Stahl, during PAX East. When they were talking about Allied Races, this came up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEN...youtu.be&t=328

So what do you guys think? Do you think he slipped up and named the Mogu as an Allied Race, or do you think it's just referring to the Island Expeditions?
    It’d be interesting to see where they end up, how and why.

I would LOVE to see the Mogu become an allied race, but he probably just worded it wrong, he called Gorribal a knife so he was probably just caught up in the moment. Who knows though right? Maybe he did slip up.

Mogu would be an interesting race indeed.

I don't like it. I think Mogu are the absolute no-go as an allied race. People want them just because they look cool but they simply don't fit the Horde (or the Alliance), they do not correspond any of the classic or allied race traits, they are just badass and terrible.

If you like them I obviously can't take that from you. But I wish they'll never become playable.

I also found an old thread about this:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...for-the-horde/

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    I think people have forgotten how cool they look. They already have a female model and seem to have a lot of customisation options. I always felt like they'd be a great race for the Horde. Just look at em...

Well, they seem to have the skeleton structure of Draenei.

Not sure what races they could be. Perhaps:

Warrior
    Hunter
    Shaman
    Monk
    Priest
    Mage
    Warlock

Mogu were probably the best thing to come out of MoP race-wise. I wonder whom the horde would trade mogu for? i highly doubt the alliance would get the mogu, they seem much better aligned with the horde imo considering that they were once allies with the zandalari.
    Jinyu could be a contender, though i didnt follow the story too closely so im not sure how relevant they are to the lore. i dont think all allied races can be equal though.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Mogu were probably the best thing to come out of MoP race-wise. I wonder whom the horde would trade mogu for? i highly doubt the alliance would get the mogu, they seem much better aligned with the horde imo considering that they were once allies with the zandalari.
    Jinyu could be a contender, though i didnt follow the story too closely so im not sure how relevant they are to the lore. i dont think all allied races can be equal though.
    Maybe Vrykul?

Vrykul and Mogu were created at the same time, i believe, as stone guardians of the titans. Chronicles I lore, but not sure. (need to recheck that information)

10+ Year Old Account
    Having Pandaren, Mogu, and Zandalari in the same faction would be hilarious. Did the Pandaren from the turtle even know about the Mogu prior to going to Pandaria with the Horde and Alliance, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Having Pandaren, Mogu, and Zandalari in the same faction would be hilarious. Did the Pandaren from the turtle even know about the Mogu prior to going to Pandaria with the Horde and Alliance, though?
    The the whole "wandering isle" only began after the pandaren broke free from their mogu slavers and overthrew them.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I've found the people who say others 'give the lore too much thought' are the people who understand it the least so they try to boil it down to its lowest common denominator like you have and show that they have nothing but contempt for the lore.
    You realize the whole "lore" is a matter of them coming together and making stuff up, right?

And ofc gameplay comes first, then they make up some stories of how and when, more or less silly. Should something go against the gameplay, worry not - just retcon the shit and be done.

Since you talk about "us people", I'm gonna tell you about "you people" - it's hillarious how you lore freaks can write long elaborate posts about how something should or shouldn't be, and then blizzard comes with the exact opposite.

There were so many lore coinnoseurs that were so certain that WoD can't happen or that Nightborne joining the Horde is a pure fanfiction and look what happened. Heh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Maybe Vrykul?

Vrykul and Mogu were created at the same time, i believe, as stone guardians of the titans. Chronicles I lore, but not sure. (need to recheck that information)
    woo boy, that would be cool.
    As much as I like the mogu, I do agree that they fir the horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The the whole "wandering isle" only began after the pandaren broke free from their mogu slavers and overthrew them.
    Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm pretty rusty on the lore surrounding the origins of the Wandering Isle.

Hilarity maintained. Pandaren, their ancient enemies, and their ancient enemies' allies, all under the same roof.

All jokes aside, I feel like Mogu are a great candidate for an allied race, and they're also a great way of giving the Horde the Draenei skeleton without actually giving them a Draenei variant. I'm not a fan of spending money on race changes, but if a Mogu race was announced, I might pay to change my Goblin mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Maybe Vrykul?

i keep thinking that future allied races should be in themed sets, i like the idea of alliance getting vrykul (also kind of hate it because vrykul are badass and im horde purist) and i could never think of a decent race for the horde to trade for the vrykul. Mogu would make a great contender, both titan constructs, one on the northernmost continent, one on the southernmost continent, both very important and powerful. thats actually a damn good trade!

Other trades i had in mind were:
    H/A
    Satyr / Furbolg (felwood campaign)
    Eredar / high elves (burning crusade reversal, and yes, the much maligned high elves)
    Taunka / Frostborn dwarves (northrend welcome party)
    Forest Trolls / Wildhammer Dwarves (Hinterlands allied tribes)
    Drakkari Trolls / Mechagnomes (more northrend offshoots)
    Withered elves / Broken Draenie (deformed BC races. withered could be skinned as either blood elf or nightborne)

And thats kind of it for now. I dont think any of those races would be too controversial to be added in, and i think they mirror eachother fairly nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    No, there were flesh and blood Mogu. Weaponmaster Xin, in particular, spits blood in your face when you kill him in the Mogu'shan Palace. The Thunder King especially, though there are a good amount of constructs that the Mogu made as sentries and soldiers.

As for Mogu being a playable Allied Race? I would squeal with joy. As for how they can become Allies, the only really possibly faction I can see is with the Horde. I can imagine Ji Firepaw being especially conflicted about it, but on the other hand, giving Sylvanas some really potent casters and warriors can really do wonders for the Huojin in her eyes.

But what about female Mogu? There were only the Twin Consorts, and the "Queen of the Mogu" though she was but a random raid quest. I always thought they would be reduced to recreating female Mogu either by Fleshcrafting enough so they can sustain a population, or (more likely) hocus pocus there were really a lot of them tucked away on an island near Pandaria.

It will take a far more pragmatic leader of the Mogu to once again reunite the clans, actually negotiate with those 'lesser races', and ruthless enough to quash anyone under his thumb that protests. I'm sure there is still desire to be an empire again. Perhaps a farsighted Mogu would join with the lesser races to save his own race and potentially overwhelm them at a far later date. Provided of course he still feels that way about the lesser species.

This is all my headcanon and stuff, take it with a grain of salt. I love Mogu, I love their unapologetic brutish and assholish behavior. I also am a Lei Shen fanboy, the best original Warcraft villain ever made and he had to die mid-expansion.
    I also really liked the Mogu, and the Thunder King lore/story in general.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Mogu are and interesting race to throw out there. They were cool, had cool lore, provided one of the coolest outdoor zones and raid. But I've always just saw them as "more-than-interesting" red-shirts. And it's easy to say they'd join Horde, but cannot lore be written to say they joined the Alliance?

I sort of enjoy the idea that after the Legion War the races and "kingdoms" of Azeroth are being recruited or even forced perhaps to join one of the two superpowers.

Deleted
    Huh... it does sound like a slip up.