Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

All praise the Chinese Communist Party, they are so wise.

The graph is of the "One Child Policy", currently for 120 males in China there are only 100 females, talk about incels.

You watch, this is only the beginning of social credit.

Everything you do on the internet passes through The Great Firewall of China where it is archived. What's stopping the government from processing the data to find out who is a threat to the regime is that the amount of data is huge.

And that's where AI comes in, AI works 24/7 at blinding speeds. AI will find all those threats to the regime and give them a poor social credit score. China is a leader in AI development.

China's "Great Leap Forward" killed 50 million Chinese, who knows what social credit score will bring?
    First, One-Child policy is a former policy ment to limit the population growth of China. This was due China thinking that it needed more population increase control to tackle the challenges of industrialisation. It only applied to Han Chinese and not the ethnic minorities living in China. There became a skew of male-to-female ratio, which was a shame. The global ratio is 107-100 and the chinese one was at the worst 120-100 and that created some new social issues.

Regarding social credit system, as I have said earlier, and linked documents to the actual planning outline it is a different take on the US credit system.

"Great leap Forward" was a horrible tragedy and a political travesty. 50Million deaths is a pretty highballing number aswell as % wise it was better than the Irish Famine(still not saying it was a good thing)

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

You are offering opinions, and I'm pointing out that those opinions may rest on incomplete or flawed data. What you find "a good place to live" would be up to you, but that doesn't mean someplace that doesn't suit your fancy is a horrible place to live.

I don't see many expats make it past 3 years here, and even fewer make it past 5 years. Whether you would like it or not might have very little to do with the form of government. High context culture and the attendant communication patterns can be very difficult to adjust to. Look up how Hall got started on his work.

Having grown up in the 60s, let's not and say we did. We thought we would be hailed as saviors in Iraq and Afghanistan too, and we still have troops there.

I don't see cultural differences as a strong argument that they have the government they want and deserve.

And you misunderstand me, by extending U.S. citizen rights to foreigners I mean granting people the right to a trial, and to not be bombed by drones. You know, basic rights. I do not mean trying to change the rights they have in other nations. But the U.S. should serve as an example for the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    I don't see cultural differences as a strong argument that they have the government they want and deserve.
    So instead people who don't live there, who don't know much about what goes and doesn't go in China, should butt in and enact a change of government type to one they prefer? Yeah, I imagine that will go well and nobody dies, they'll just say "Okay, you're right" and change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17
    You won't because you lack a frame of reference, you're more focused on government as a system without really understanding Chinese as people. Even those who have been in China for a year or two often don't get how cultural differences can complicate things. I can refer you to Hall, Nisbett, Lewis, and others. You could read diligently and maybe meet some people from China. You won't start to really see "oh snap, there's a culture problem and we just don't see this through the same filters" until you have a few things blow up in your face because of that. That's why I said many expats here don't make it past three years because of the culture differences. That's when it seems to really start to seep in. When a bunch of expats sit down here and blow off steam, the complaints usually tend much more towards cultural ("<bleep> I get so <bleep> tired that Chinese always...") rather than political. Many comments tend to run strong on "bleep" Things like guanxi and mianzi are constant factors here and they often don't make much sense to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17
    But the U.S. should serve as an example for the rest of the world.
    We used to act more in line with that. There were flaws that got papered over, but we used to try harder to set an example that people would want to follow and I don't have any problems with that. Somehow though, we seem (looking from the outside in) to have decided having bigger carriers was doing enough.

Here, in threads like these, I end up trying to explain culture differences as best I understand them (and even the Chinese get frustrated with indirect communication and mianzi). Then, I go off to teach or hang out with friends and I deal with it in reverse. "No, guys, the US is not like South Sudan. I managed to go whole days without anyone even pointing a gun at me." or "Wait, let me check my passport. Nope, I'm still American even if I am not Christian, don't own a gun, and have never even tried to lynch a black person." You guessed it, they assume I'm candy coating things. Happily, it has been a while since I taught Constitutional law here. May you never have to take the podium for a semester and field questions about things like Brown v. Board of Education or Roe v. Wade.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    So instead people who don't live there, who don't know much about what goes and doesn't go in China, should butt in and enact a change of government type to one they prefer? Yeah, I imagine that will go well and nobody dies, they'll just say "Okay, you're right" and change it.
    Your words not mine. I don't think that should happen. Change should come from the people.

This man is Liu Xiaobo who won the Noble Peach Prize who championed non-violent resistance as a way of overcoming “forceful tyranny"

He died in Chinese prison for his efforts.

What does this have to do with Xi's control of the internet? If you text a Chinese person on wechat with the words Liu Xiaobo, the Chinese person won't receive you message? Why?

The Chinese regime wants to erase Liu Xiaobo from the cultural memory, make it like he never existed.

That's a tremendous amount of control a government has over a people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Like I said, if you do not like the data that I presented earlier, feel free to make your own study, and present it to everyone. I look forward to reading it. Of course, if you don't have better sources, then maybe you should base your opinions on the available evidence, and not on willful ignorance. Just a thought.

I await that study of yours.
    How does one measure freedom? Cause some Americans define it as owning a firearm, which to almost every other country is just bizzare if not ridiculous.

What then, so freedom is measured by what white people say it is?

Some people really need to check their white privilege.

May as well measure how blue the sky is. Peterson is right, the lefties have ruined the social sciences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

This man is Liu Xiaobo who won the Noble Peach Prize who championed non-violent resistance as a way of overcoming “forceful tyranny"

He died in Chinese prison for his efforts.

What does this have to do with Xi's control of the internet? If you text a Chinese person on wechat with the words Liu Xiaobo, the Chinese person won't receive you message? Why?

The Chinese regime wants to erase Liu Xiaobo from the cultural memory, make it like he never existed.

That's a tremendous amount of control a government has over a people.
    Get used to the Chinese concept of saving face. Ask that bungee poster to explain it to you since that person has some experience of living there. The one cardinal rule in all Asian countries, especially the Far East, is you never ever make the leadership look bad. It comes from the Confucian tradition that if a leader allows himself to be mocked, the basis for his authority is destroyed.

Wouldn't expect disrespectful Western barbarians to know this. After all they think they have some inalienable right to say and do whatever they please, damn the consequences.

And look at what that brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's definitely a way if you are losing an informational war, but not a really good one
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The bottom line of China's way of doing things: you can question their methods but you cannot question their results. The fact that hundreds of millions of people aren't having to eke out a pitiful living is proof.

Look at India, they can't solve the exact same problem because they are a democracy and democracy gets nothing done. Who wants the circus of democracy when you can have the bread of prosperity?

Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    How does one measure freedom? Cause some Americans define it as owning a firearm, which to almost every other country is just bizzare if not ridiculous.

What then, so freedom is measured by what white people say it is?

Some people really need to check their white privilege.

May as well measure how blue the sky is. Peterson is right, the lefties have ruined the social sciences.

- - - Updated - - -

Get used to the Chinese concept of saving face. Ask that bungee poster to explain it to you since that person has some experience of living there. The one cardinal rule in all Asian countries, especially the Far East, is you never ever make the leadership look bad. It comes from the Confucian tradition that if a leader allows himself to be mocked, the basis for his authority is destroyed.

Wouldn't expect disrespectful Western barbarians to know this. After all they think they have some inalienable right to say and do whatever they please, damn the consequences.

And look at what that brings.
    Feel free to simply use the definition of the word. It's rather simple, people should be free to do what they want, so long as it does not harm others.

Now, if you don't like the sources I provided, feel free to provide your own. If you cannot, or will not, then I guess we will be using mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Dictators gonna dictate... I still can't believe China voted this asshole President for life. They're going to regret it.
    I dont think you understand how a dictatorship forms.....

Time to deploy the nuclear option in this thread:

All of you criticising China in this thread are racist white people.

Implying that social credit is somehow a bad thing.

The only people who are afraid of social credit are fucking internet people.