Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Exactly, he's just the actor.
    The actor who played one of the most famous elves in fiction and thus whose appearance serves as the archetype for fantasy elves.

Surprise surprise, fantasy elves are typically long-haired and fair-skinned like Legolas, not black with cropped hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The actor who played one of the most famous elves in fiction and thus whose appearance serves as the archetype for fantasy elves.

Surprise surprise, fantasy elves are typically long-haired and fair-skinned like Legolas, not black with cropped hair.
    Unlike all the elven depictions before Orlando Bloom, of course, none of which EVER had long blond hair and a youthful physique. RIGHT?

Surprise, they put a wig and blue contact lenses on Bloom to give him that "Iconic" look.

I'm fair skinned and I already have blue eyes...give me that wig and a personal trainer and I'll be just as Iconic.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Oh he's not that iconic, he's just the actor who played one of the most famous elves in fiction.
    Wait, are we talking about Will Ferrell now? Because yeah, HE is pretty iconic.

Legolas had fewer speaking lines across the entire trilogy than Boromir did before he was killed off in the first movie. But yeah, tell us how “iconic” an actor he is when his most memorable scenes are just him doing wire work or being replaced by CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Wait, are we talking about Will Ferrell now? Because yeah, HE is pretty iconic.

Legolas had fewer speaking lines across the entire trilogy than Boromir did before he was killed off in the first movie. But yeah, tell us how “iconic” an actor he is when his most memorable scenes are just him doing wire work or being replaced by CGI.
    What a nonsense argument lmao, so following your logic Sauron isn't an iconic villain because he only had 1 spoken line in the entire trilogy and barely any appearance.

Spoilers for Rings of Power: Legolas, played by Orlando Bloom, will still be more iconic than the entire cast of this show.

What a nonsense argument lmao, so following your logic Sauron isn't an iconic villain because he only had 1 spoken line in the entire trilogy and barely any appearance.

Spoilers for Rings of Power: Legolas, played by Orlando Bloom, will still be more iconic than the entire cast of this show.
    Yeah, don't you guys remember the "iconic" shield surfing he did at Helm's Deep?

Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-08-25 at 11:22 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Yeah, don't you guys remember the "iconic" shield surfing he did at Helm's Deep?
    I'm feeling the icon, man, I really am. It's so ICONIC, aaaaaaw yeah. Iconize me, Bloom-sempai!

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm feeling the icon, man, I really am. It's so ICONIC, aaaaaaw yeah. Iconize me, Bloom-sempai!
    Such Icon, so Wow, Much whiteness

Sauron is ABSOLUTELY not an iconic villain (in literature or cinema). He’s more of a plot device in the novels than an actual character. Seriously, is “appeared in popular movie/series” really your benchmark for what makes a character (or actor) iconic? What a low low bar…

I get it, you’re super into Orlando Bloom for some reason, but his accomplishments as an actor are pretty weak. It’s really weird that of all the actors in the Fellowship you’ve decided to hitch your wagon to the least impactful of the group. And yeah, Peter Mullan and Lenny Henry are without a doubt better actors than Bloom, and I’m sure plenty of the others who I’m not familiar with are as well.

Claiming Legolas isn't iconic, fucking lol. The lengths people go to to prop up the RoP by trying to tear down the OG trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Claiming Legolas isn't iconic, fucking lol. The lengths people go to to prop up the RoP by trying to tear down the OG trilogy.
    Yeah, straw man much?

There are plenty of great and iconic actors/performances in the original trilogy. Orlando Bloom as Legolas hardly makes the cut. As others have noted, his most memorable scenes are just over the top action sequences with no lines that were pretty inconsequential to the story as a whole.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-08-26 at 12:27 AM.

It was so great that they added Legolas to the Hobbit movies

said no one

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    It was so great that they added Legolas to the Hobbit movies

said no one
    The hobbit movies should have only been two at most was the biggest issue. So much unnecessary stuff added that dragged it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The hobbit movies should have only been two at most was the biggest issue. So much unnecessary stuff added that dragged it down.
    The Maple edit makes a great single 4-hour movie out of it. My favourite fan edit of any movie, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The Maple edit makes a great single 4-hour movie out of it. My favourite fan edit of any movie, by far.
    Hm might have to look into it right now I have a huge backlog of stuff is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Sauron is ABSOLUTELY not an iconic villain (in literature or cinema). He’s more of a plot device in the novels than an actual character. Seriously, is “appeared in popular movie/series” really your benchmark for what makes a character (or actor) iconic? What a low low bar…
    Sauron is literally the archetypical Fantasy Dark Lord.

"Appearing in a popular series" is not my benchmark for being iconic. For instance, Tauriel has way more screentime than Sauron, and she appeared in the same franchise, but no one cares about her or even remembers her. Meanwhile, everyone knows Sauron. It's simple and straightforward.

Sauron is literally the Lord of the Rings and you try to act like he's not iconic, sure dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    That's what the apologists of sequels always do, they try to bring down the past work and pretend it wasn't popular, iconic, or good.

That's why, when I read Rings of Power apologists, GoT Season 8 apologists, Disney apologists, I always ask myself "How did they even become fans of these franchises in the first place, since they only find flaws in past works"?

That's what the apologists of sequels always do, they try to bring down the past work and pretend it wasn't popular, iconic, or good.
    Or maybe you could just acknowledge that Legolas isn’t even the top 10 for important LotR characters and Orlando Bloom was better in Pirates of the Caribbean.

At least he did get some pretty good actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    and Orlando Bloom was better in Pirates of the Caribbean.
    But he's not an elf there, and that's all that really matters to our resident Elf Boner Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Or maybe you could just acknowledge that Legolas isn’t even the top 10 for important LotR characters and Orlando Bloom was better in Pirates of the Caribbean.

At least he did get some pretty good actions.
    Being important to the story is irrelevant.

Why does this thread not know what "iconic" means? Do you people never have casual conversations with anyone? Lol.

"Iconic" means that I could ask a friend who has never seen LOTR who Legolas is, and they'd tell me "it's the elf with the white hair and the bow".

"Iconic" means that I could ask a friend who hates movies who Sauron is, and they'd tell me "it's the big scary evil eye".

It's really not hard to understand what "iconic" means.

Being important to the story is irrelevant.
    You could’ve just stopped right there. Characters importance starts and ends with the quality of the story. Legolas is a lesser LotR character. I barely think of him in regards to the story.

Even if I was to use your definition of iconic, he still doesn’t qualify. Compared to Gandalf, Frodo, Gollum and Sauron? He’s nothing.