Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m also bothered by the Dwarf Queen. Again, not because of the color of her skin—I don’t care about their skin color history—I just think she looks way too pretty to be a dwarf. We didn’t need to have a sexy dwarf just because sex sells.
    O sweet summer child... they need to make the dwarf queen sexy because game of thrones was popular. Someone is going to bang the dwarf and you are going to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The prime video comment section of the trailer on youtube is looking exactly as it should. Youtube removing dislike counter only made people showing it in the comment section
    At least it encourages the whiners and terminally offended to use a bit of imagination.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    and we will probably never get told why either.
    Because it literally doesn't matter. An elf is an elf is an elf. If you can suspend your disbelief to imagine you're looking at a fictional humanoid fantasy race but can't extend that an iota further to the actor's skin color...

I get that elves are supposed to be superior, so of course they have to be white, but oh actually they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Dwarf women with no facial hair what so ever and a fucking elf with a buzzcut.... Really? I guess elf have magic to trim hair like modern razor and not just blades like everyone else. People didnt have faded buzzcut, because electric clippers arent a fucking thing in medieval time, fantasy or not. People cut their fucking hair with blades. Theres no electric grooming.
    That black elf rocking one crispy ass fade lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Because it literally doesn't matter. An elf is an elf is an elf. If you can suspend your disbelief to imagine you're looking at a fictional humanoid fantasy race but can't extend that an iota further to the actor's skin color...

I get that elves are supposed to be superior, so of course they have to be white, but oh actually they don't.
    Everyone knows that the way skin color works is that people are just randomly born with certain skin colors.

The problem is tokenism. It doesnt seem he (or the dwarf) are from another group of dwarves or elves that are none-white, rather, they just randomly are.

If they want to claim they're all for diversity they need to actually commit to it rather than putting in token characters and going "PRAISE US". Its the same as pride month when you suddenlly see rainbow stuff everywhere but only pride month.

Hell Walmart got in a bit for something like this recently: They were playing music from black musicians during black history month. And only black history month.

They stopped doing it in less than a week due to the backlash. Didnt help they were only playing older music at that.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

5+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this makes me cheer for Sauron, Orcs n the forces of evil, at least they make sense, so plz kill all the humies dworfs n elfs

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Everyone knows that the way skin color works is that people are just randomly born with certain skin colors.

The problem is tokenism. It doesnt seem he (or the dwarf) are from another group of dwarves or elves that are none-white, rather, they just randomly are.

If they want to claim they're all for diversity they need to actually commit to it rather than putting in token characters and going "PRAISE US". Its the same as pride month when you suddenlly see rainbow stuff everywhere but only pride month.

Hell Walmart got in a bit for something like this recently: They were playing music from black musicians during black history month. And only black history month.

They stopped doing it in less than a week due to the backlash. Didnt help they were only playing older music at that.
    I'm just picturing you doing calculations in the grocery store about where someone's lineage must trace back to before you can ask them where to find the bread. Hyperfixation on race isn't healthy, especially not in the area of the arts. There are 1,000 reasons this series is probably going to suck and none of them have to do with actors' skin colors.

I'm just picturing you doing calculations in the grocery store about where someone's lineage must trace back to before you can ask them where to find the bread. Hyperfixation on race isn't healthy, especially not in the area of the arts. There are 1,000 reasons this series is probably going to suck and none of them have to do with actors' skin colors.
    See this to me is funny, because calling out tokenism/insertion of a specific race into a scene/book they weren't is hyperfixation, but the showrunners always feeling the need to insert a token minority in a few spots isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    See this to me is funny, because calling out tokenism/insertion of a specific race into a scene/book they weren't is hyperfixation, but the showrunners always feeling the need to insert a token minority in a few spots isn't?
    Where did you come up with the assertion that they were cast for their skin color? With a cast that large, it makes sense there would be minorities included naturally for their talent, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post

How many actors of colour do they need to cast to escape your assessment of tokenism, is it an absolute number or as a percentage of the cast? Will you be counting on a per-episode basis or waiting until you have seen the whole series?

I'm glad I'm a bookfag, hehe. the original movie trilogy is also 'meh'
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Do you think non-white actors would be unable to land roles without producers going for tokenism?

Where did you come up with the assertion that they were cast for their skin color? With a cast that large, it makes sense there would be minorities included naturally for their talent, no?
    You are also assuming this, if they were, why not cast them as humans, where the skin color could easily be overlooked, but no instead you cast them in roles YOU KNOW will spark anger and frustration as it goes against established lore?

That is the issue, they have several places and ways they could have made the skin color a non-factor, but they didn't take them. There are regions of the world where there are dark skinned individuals in Tolkein's world, but the elves/dwarfs weren't that place. THAT is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Do you think non-white actors would be unable to land roles without producers going for tokenism?
    Do you think that every story should have a racial diversity of the US? Do we need rewrite Black Panther to have a majority whites? Do Asian stories need to go from 1-2 non Asians to something else? Which country gets to decide the representation? US, China, Britain, Russia? Which minorities do we HAVE to add (I didn't see any Asians, middle eastern, Spanish,etc minorities in the trailer/stills) and which are okay to let hang dry?

Also you notice they heavily featured that they have black people, but what about the Asians, the middle eastern, and other ethnicities? Not good enough to meet the quota I guess? Not special enough to warrant them getting a dwarf/elf appearance? Also notice there only seems to be one elf, and one dwarf, guess they didn't warrant a tribe, because then they would have to answer the awkward question of how every species purged all but the white members of their races by the time of the LotR.

How about you take the stories that features minorities and produce them, and stop rewriting works that don't and forcing it in. Or if you feel the need how about you tell the stories within the universe that feature said minorities race, like the Haradrim in Tolkein's work, but no, they didn't. They shoe horned it in, they added it in places it wasn't instead of putting it in the place that does, where we could have had a fantastic back piece about how/why the Haradrim took the side of Sauron. Would people still have complained, sure, but it would have been A LOT more accepted, and if done right the masses would have taken to it.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-02-14 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

And who exactly are you to say that it doesn't matter? Why should the appearance of the ethnic groups that inspired the roots of the setting not be an important part? Why did Tolkien go out of his way to describe the peoples living in this Middle-Earth in great detail if it doesn't matter? Don't you realize that a large part of Tolkien's work went into creating a genuine historical context in order to give meaning and gravity to the world that he created for his languages?
    If you want to write a tale of this sort you must consult your roots, and a man of the North-west of the Old World will set his heart and the action of his tale in an imaginary world of that air, and that situation
    These vulgar demands that the ethnic makeup of Tolkien's world must correspond to the reality of modern countries is very much incompatible with his world building and his outlook in general. Tolkien vehemently opposes the view that things can or should be separated from their history in order to make it a universal rule. That is the territory of modernists which Tolkien rejected pretty profusely.
    Tolkien was convinced, moreover, that languages and cultures are inextricably rooted in time and place, that geography is hugely determinative of the way people think and act, that human variety is tied to the knotty particulars of culture, that a people's first products are its myths and stories, and that these narratives are the essential carriers of both religion and morality. He lamented, therefor the ruthless monoculturalism of the Romans in failing to preserve the Northern European cultures that they had conquered. Not for Tolkien, it follows, was the Enlightenment-inspired desire to transcend locality for the sake of wooly universal values.
    (The Gift of Story: Narrating Hope in a Postmodern World)
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2022-02-14 at 04:39 PM.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    And who exactly are you to say that it doesn't matter? Why should the appearance of the ethnic groups that inspired the roots of the setting not be an important part? Why did Tolkien go out of his way to describe the people living in this Middle-Earth in great detail if it doesn't matter? Don't you realize that a large part of Tolkien's work went into creating a genuine historical context in order to give meaning and gravity to the world that he created for his languages?

These vulgar demands that the ethnic makeup of Tolkien's world must correspond to the reality of modern countries is very much incompatible with his world building and his outlook in general. Tolkien vehemently opposes the view that things can or should be separated from their history in order to make it a universal rule. That is the territory of modernists which Tolkien rejected pretty profusely.
    Why don't they cast elves and dwarves with elves and dwarves instead of humans if it's such an important aspect to the story? Oh, it's a cinematic adaptation? How will you ever suspend your disbelief enough to get past the fact they're all just humans? As long as they're white you can do it?

Why don't they cast elves and dwarves with elves and dwarves instead of humans if it's such an important aspect to the story? Oh, it's a cinematic adaptation? How will you ever suspend your disbelief enough to get past the fact they're all just humans? As long as they're white you can do it?
    Why don't we do a new kiriku adaptation but with white people ? I wonder how that would go.

What a silly, infantile argument. Why do you think they use costumes and visual tricks to create an illusion that these people are indeed Elves, Hobbits and Dwarfs?

Tolkien argues, for example, that fairy-stories "cannot tolerate any frame or machinery suggesting that the whole story in which they occur is a figment or illusion" ("On Fairy-Stories" 45). Such devices create a skepticism that undermines the truthfulness of the entire fictional enterprise: "The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken" (60)

Hmf...it's all about the script to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...it's all about the script to me.
    As far as I can tell, it's all equally rotten.

The opening narration might as well have been for a new Star Wars or Marvel movie. You can't tell the different at this point. Pure simulacrum.

Apart from the rampant tokenism bigotry they're also changing some major stuff like turning Galadriel into some kind of commander and introducing new characters. If there's anything the books don't lack are characters. Shortening the span of events so they all happen at the same time is also a dangerous thing to do. While not stated yet, I can also imagine they might just turn Elrond into some kind of a wimp for good measure.

Well, at this point it shouldn't be a secret. They already said they're going to tell the story Tolkien didn't tell. Which with all of these things combined will just turn out to be over-priced trashy fantasy. As if there's a shortage of those.