10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    From what little I know the movie's them self weren't faithful cutting characters out massively changing the tone of others and then everything surrounding the hobbit movies, why would you be expecting the show to one up them on faithfulness and not just accept that he even the best adaptations we already have (rotoscope) didn't achieve it.
    much of the main plot points of the film were faithful to the books, that said yes, several characters were either changed, or outright omitted, part of the reason people were tolerant of this, is because enough of the main plot was left intact, it was a star studded affair for a series and genre that had been left to rot by hollywood for decades, so it had a huge spotlight shining on it to be a success, which meant they had very very small amounts of wiggle room when it came to altering things to make sense with the screenplay.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I don't know why they decided to invent black dwarves out of nowhere,
    This is a complete non-starter, because Dwarves' skin color is never specified and there are 7 Dwarven "Fathers"/clans. You can argue Elves/Humans, but Dwarves just removes the mask of your real issue.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    much of the main plot points of the film were faithful to the books, that said yes, several characters were either changed, or outright omitted, part of the reason people were tolerant of this, is because enough of the main plot was left intact, it was a star studded affair for a series and genre that had been left to rot by hollywood for decades, so it had a huge spotlight shining on it to be a success, which meant they had very very small amounts of wiggle room when it came to altering things to make sense with the screenplay.
    So lets say that they stick more or less to the lore (no real plot to stick to I believe) and it fits in fine with the movies would the show get a pass as well? Or are things likes making the dwarfs who never had a defined race black a step to far but removing some character and changing core one's isn't?
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-02-15 at 10:44 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    This is a complete non-starter, because Dwarves' skin color is never specified and there are 7 Dwarven "Fathers"/clans. You can argue Elves/Humans, but Dwarves just removes the mask of your real issue.
    You are being pedantic just for the sake of being a contrarian.

Before this trailer, no one thought "hey, are the dwarves actually black?"

Show me any relevant piece of media or art related to Lord of the Rings that portrayed dwarves as black people, go on.

Oh wait, there is none, since it's almost like they pulled this out of nowhere.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Show me any relevant piece of media or art related to Lord of the Rings that portrayed dwarves as black people, go on.

None of this matters when you can just ignore the entire context of the world Tolkien created. It's very simple.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

@Nurasu Also please show me when Elves (always described as fair and elegant) were ever portrayed like this in Middle Earth:

I have literally never seen a more out of place hairstyle for an elf, but suuuure, they aren't pushing an agenda to fill the usual quota
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    From what little I know the movie's them self weren't faithful cutting characters out massively changing the tone of others and then everything surrounding the hobbit movies, why would you be expecting the show to one up them on faithfulness and not just accept that he even the best adaptations we already have (rotoscope) didn't achieve it.
    the movies tried to be as faithful as possible knowing was an adaptation without billionaire budget. They had to change stuff to work on a movie but overall the intent and message/plot of the movie follows the book. Thats why the hobbit was not as much praised, it deviates from the lotr recipe adding bs stuff like the romance subplot.

Lets not pretend, we know for a fact that adaptations will change things, that is understandable, the problem is always how you do that, and what extend you do that.

The show came out saying it was a prequel, following tolkien lore and said it would be "the tale tolkien never wrote" plus other things, this put then the burden of trying to be as much faithful as lord of the rings at least; but that is not the case, they are basically taking the universe and doing a fanfiction.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

You are being the contrarian - there's nothing to support your conclusion that there can't be black Dwarves, only your own bias.

You are being the contrarian - there's nothing to support your conclusion that there can't be black Dwarves, only your own bias.
    Okay so since Tolkien never described people having sex, that means humans in Middle Earth reproduce asexually by laying eggs.

There's nothing to support my conclusion? How about the fact that you couldn't find any depiction at all of Middle Earth dwarves as black?

Just stop dude, the entire world agreed that the Dwarves of Middle Earth are fair-skinned. This black dwarf came out of nowhere to virtue signal ,as per usual in the last years, and you are buying it.

@Nurasu Also please show me when Elves (always described as fair and elegant) were ever portrayed like this in Middle Earth:

[IMG]https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/02/10/15/54018443-10498771-image-a-185_1644505330696.jpgIMG]

I have literally never seen a more out of place hairstyle for an elf, but suuuure, they aren't pushing an agenda to fill the usual quota
    Jesus Christ, just don't watch the show if seeing darker skin triggers you so much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Criticism is fine. What tends to go on isn't really criticism, though. Certainly not constructive criticism.
    i think the criticism are pretty constructive

1. Be more faithful to the original source
    2. Better characterization, so the dwarves and elves don't look like humans cosplaying.

Not even talking about skin color, they just straight up don't look like elves, not even Galadriel.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so since Tolkien never described people having sex, that means humans in Middle Earth reproduce asexually by laying eggs.

There's nothing to support my conclusion? How about the fact that you couldn't find any depiction at all of Middle Earth dwarves as black?

Just stop dude, the entire world agreed that the Dwarves of Middle Earth are fair-skinned. This black dwarf came out of nowhere to virtue signal ,as per usual in the last years, and you are buying it.
    Can you find any depiction of Tolkien's that describes them as white? What's the problem with depicting them as a mixed race society in a modern adaptation when there's NO conflict with the source material unless you're fucking racist?

Why does it have to have been portrayed before? This series isn't portraying anything that's ever seen before. It's not even based on anything we've actually seen portrayed before. These characters are completely all new to the universe, and are ultimately non-canonical.

As a general rule set by the Tolkien estate, Amazon is not allowed to alter is the history of Middle Earth, otherwise they seem okay with all of these changes.

Movies and games set in the LOTR universe don't have to be canonical to the books, whether we're talking about the LOTR movie adaptations, the videogames, the tabletop games, or this new series. They're ultimately liscenced products that exist within their own canon.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-02-15 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    Jesus Christ, just don't watch the show if seeing darker skin triggers you so much.
    So you have no respect for the source material that the show is supposedly based on?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you find any depiction of Tolkien's that describes them as white? What's the problem with depicting them as a mixed race society in a modern adaptation when there's NO conflict with the source material unless you're fucking racist?
    Okay so you agree that men in Middle Earth reproduce asexually by laying eggs?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you have no respect for the source material that the show is supposedly based on?

- - - Updated - - -

Checks out; and prevents it from becoming Game of Thrones. You should pitch it, tbh.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, let me just add this: you can have respect and still change the source material.
    In fact, I believe some changes that other adaptations made were more disrespectful than this one.

I can see that the characterization bothers you, that is fine. But lets not pretend that this is the biggest change ever.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the movies tried to be as faithful as possible knowing was an adaptation without billionaire budget. They had to change stuff to work on a movie but overall the intent and message/plot of the movie follows the book. Thats why the hobbit was not as much praised, it deviates from the lotr recipe adding bs stuff like the romance subplot.

Lets not pretend, we know for a fact that adaptations will change things, that is understandable, the problem is always how you do that, and what extend you do that.

The show came out saying it was a prequel, following tolkien lore and said it would be "the tale tolkien never wrote" plus other things, this put then the burden of trying to be as much faithful as lord of the rings at least; but that is not the case, they are basically taking the universe and doing a fanfiction.
    So lets say that they should be more faithful then the movies, I don't know enough about Tolkien's work to know but outside of visual aesthetic what exactly is putting this into Fanfiction?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I think the point people are trying to make is sacrificing the source material for inclusion does right by no one.

dude, it seems pretty obvious the source material isn't really what you're mad about. but okay, let's say this goes against the source material, so what? the books are still there, the Peter Jackson movies ( and the hobbit movies...) are still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    I think the point people are trying to make is sacrificing the source material for inclusion does right by no one.
    that's not the point I'm seeing made with the person I quoted. and nothing was sacrificed! no one is burning books of the hobbit... all of what makes LoTR a thing is still out there for you to enjoy. another thing that doesn't fit into that mold exactly can exist as it's own thing as well.