New to warlocks and am so excited!

Hey everyone,

I raided lock way back in vanilla, but haven't touched one since. I am actually just coming back to wow after taking a long break (since lich king). I read a lot about warlocks lately and they look really great. *though affliction looks like it won't be as strong in bfa. Demo looks crazy fun and so does destruction.

Anyone know if demonbolt is affect by mastery? With the changes to raid buffs, do you think locks will have one besides all the utility we already bring?
    Also, I am going horde, any suggestions on what race? I pve and pvp. Orc looks to be the best choice, but I hate they way they look in cloth.

Thanks everyone!

Deathbolt will be indirectly buffed by mastery due to dots being affected. As such, your deathbolt will grow as your mastery will.

Not sure how Affli will perform in various PVE scenarios yet. But wow isn't a a patchwork-fight game anymore. Multiple specs have their time to shine, not sure why the precedent is always "Single target DPS is king". Encounters have evolved away from that, Affli will remain competitive by virtue of their design. And sometimes they will suck. All is as it should be. But I feel strong on Beta as an affli lock at least. Killing elites actually goes faster on Affli than Demo since Demo really has far greater ramp in my opinion (deathbolt does help a lot in this respect)

As for races. Choose Troll for now or pick the aesthetics you enjoy the most. Master race Zandalari will be the default option once they unlock, no need for argumentation there

Deleted
    From what I can tell affliction will be the spec you lvl with, and do mythic +, destruction feels more like a battleground spec, and demonology for raiding

Hmm, I play WL since classic. I could not imagine being away from WoW since wotlk and then comeback and be excited about how WL is currently compared to wotlk. What makes you excited about it, seriously? All the speccs are so pruned and dumbed down. Or is it just excitement to play WoW again?

Quote Originally Posted by nodq View Post
    Hmm, I play WL since classic. I could not imagine being away from WoW since wotlk and then comeback and be excited about how WL is currently compared to wotlk. What makes you excited about it, seriously? All the speccs are so pruned and dumbed down. Or is it just excitement to play WoW again?
    Can't you just let people enjoy what they enjoy? Is it so inconceivable they have a different experience to you?

If you don't like wow, quit. Jeez.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    Can't you just let people enjoy what they enjoy? Is it so inconceivable they have a different experience to you?

when you're not happy with your own life, shit on other people's enjoyment. That's basically the mentality of a good part of mmo-champ's posters nowadays...

OT: Hey, I'm basically almost in the same situation played healer priest for most of my wow life and I'm considering switching to druid or wl for upcoming expansions

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post

Dude... he can have fun as much as he wants. I just asked a question, whats up with you , do you have some anger issues? >I play WoW since release, I play it every day, I just asked him a question because I am curious because I am not in his position to reflect that feeling. Are you here to make trouble or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Potpourri87 View Post
    when you're not happy with your own life, shit on other people's enjoyment. That's basically the mentality of a good part of mmo-champ's posters nowadays...

OT: Hey, I'm basically almost in the same situation played healer priest for most of my wow life and I'm considering switching to druid or wl for upcoming expansions
    I asked him a question and you dare to judge me as a person or my life? Grow up please... seriously. Also what do you mean mmoc posters "nowaydays" I am longer a Member here than you... so what are you talking about. Also I am older than you, too. So what is your problem here?

If anything then you are some good example whats wrong with toxicity nowadays. You can not even ask serious questions anymore and have a different opinion on some things without getting attacked by keyboard warrior teenagers. That attack you personally immediately. God sake...
    Last edited by nodq; 2018-06-04 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also play Warlock since Vanilla and what you wrote is a bunch of horseshit.

"All specs dumbed down", are you dumb or what? Compared to Vanilla, TBC and even bloody WoTLK - warlocks now are both more complex and more diverse and this is bound to increase with Demo rejoining the fold.

People who push this "pruned" bullshit look at Cata as a pinnacle of design, while in reality it was a load of bullshit. On the other hand MoP - the evil pruning expansion was prime time for warlocks and is considered to be so even now.

So you can keep your pound of salt to yourself. Warlocks in BfA are both fine and fun because you will have 3 very different specs out of which you can bet your ass two will be more than viable and more complex than 90% of classes in WoTLK, let alone Vanilla.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-06-04 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I also play Warlock since Vanilla and what you wrote is a bunch of horseshit.

"All specs dumbed down", are you dumb or what? Compared to Vanilla, TBC and even bloody WoTLK - warlocks now are both more complex and more diverse and this is bound to increase with Demo rejoining the fold.

You can keep your pound of salt to yourself. Warlocks in BfA are both fine and fun because you will have 3 very different specs out of which you can bet your ass two will be more than viable and more complex than 90% of classes in WoTLK, let alone Vanilla.
    First of all, who do you call dumb here? I know it is hard for teenagers with an iq of like 80 to have a mature conversation. But still... and if you think, that WL especially affliction is more complex today than in wotlk.. then sorry you have no clue at all. Affliction and beeing complex today is so far from truth that it hurts so see someone saying this.
    And I do not look at cata of the best design for WL, I didnt even like it tbh. But thats open for a debate which version was best. But telling that legion WL is more complex than ever... or just like wotlk, man seriously, I dont know why you think that, and you are for sure one of 2 people that think so.
    Also, none is talking about viability here... why do you make things up that never was talked about? Afflic in legion is more than viable. Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it is the most complex specc in the life of WL, and that is what you are saying here.

Your parents should really think about how they teached you to behave like that, attacking people with insults just because they have a different opinion than your own?

Dude... when you think that your WL is more complex than ever today, fine, think what you want. But I would never attack you with insults just because of that, I mean what is wrong with you guys, you are so toxic it is unbelievable. So if you keep insulting me with no reason, And I keep reporting you for sure.

ps: funny someone talking about salt but whos the one insulting and raging at someone because he has a different opinion than himself.

So I am outta here, no interest talking to keyboard teenager warriors and argue with those over the internet. There is no point. You have your opinion and everyone with a different one, is the target to attack with insults... and also talk bullshit on a personal level based on the inability to comprehend simple english.
    Last edited by nodq; 2018-06-04 at 08:14 AM. Reason: have fun toxic teenagers

Well, he is already excited for the classes so what you do is being negative for no reason, also you don't answer any of his questions so that's why people are annoyed. It's normal you are getting replies like that. Personally I like this pruned version better, I joined in the end of wotlk and never got a char to max level until cata but even while I was levelling I already had many spells on my bar that I don't even use. I just had to spam 1 or 2 skills to deal max damage I could and I didn't like that.
    @Bloodronin4life to me demo and destro looks way more interesting than affliction in bfa, they have cool animations and spells with better rotation. I am levelling a warlock too currently, destro melts everything... chaos bolt is a one-shot and your pet handles mobs while you prepare another chaos bolt haha it's actually faster than some melees I think you should pick the race that looks cool to you, don't mind racials. You can pick the best dps race but when they add Zandalari that may change, don't risk it if you don't like spending money on race change. My pick was Nightborn!

Deleted
    Loving the salt in this thread.

Anyway, welcome back OP. Locks are looking fantastic in BFA, particularly Demo and Destro. The latter with green fire .

Deleted
    Dude... he can have fun as much as he wants. I just asked a question, whats up with you , do you have some anger issues? >I play WoW since release, I play it every day, I just asked him a question because I am curious because I am not in his position to reflect that feeling. Are you here to make trouble or what?

I asked him a question and you dare to judge me as a person or my life? Grow up please... seriously. Also what do you mean mmoc posters "nowaydays" I am longer a Member here than you... so what are you talking about. Also I am older than you, too. So what is your problem here?

If anything then you are some good example whats wrong with toxicity nowadays. You can not even ask serious questions anymore and have a different opinion on some things without getting attacked by keyboard warrior teenagers. That attack you personally immediately. God sake...
    how is it relevant how much longer you've been on here or how much older you are?

It is entirely your tone of asking your question that gives off the "i'm not happy, so you can't be too"-vibe. I don't mind your opinion, honestly, I would not give a second thought about it. but the subject is that OP wants to try the class again and is excited to do so. and you come in with nothing but bad examples and show him that his enjoyment is just an illusion.

so call me w/e you like. Toxic? I don't think I am. But maybe you're toxic yourself

Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    Well, he is already excited for the classes so what you do is being negative for no reason, also you don't answer any of his questions so that's why people are annoyed. It's normal you are getting replies like that. Personally I like this pruned version better, I joined in the end of wotlk and never got a char to max level until cata but even while I was levelling I already had many spells on my bar that I don't even use. I just had to spam 1 or 2 skills to deal max damage I could and I didn't like that.
    @Bloodronin4life to me demo and destro looks way more interesting than affliction in bfa, they have cool animations and spells with better rotation. I am levelling a warlock too currently, destro melts everything... chaos bolt is a one-shot and your pet handles mobs while you prepare another chaos bolt haha it's actually faster than some melees I think you should pick the race that looks cool to you, don't mind racials. You can pick the best dps race but when they add Zandalari that may change, don't risk it if you don't like spending money on race change. My pick was Nightborn!
    Yah its fine, you see, how comes you can answer in a normal mature way? Tho, those creatures above are unable to do so? And where is the rule that you have to only give answers in a forum? I was interested in his reasoning and feeling about this and I told my own feelings about it. So, that is something to have a conversation about. It is also not offtopic, it is about his question. So I don't get it. As most people should know that MOST people are unhappy with the pruning, that is just a fact. And then I point it out, that I am one of those and I ask him why he is excited about, what makes him excited etc. It is not really hard to comprehend this actually.

But thos people come here do not even understand simple english and can not comprehend what I was asking, then start insulting for no reason. If that is not the definition of toxic behaviour, I don't know.

But I get it, your are either allowed to reply with circlejerk happy anwers in a thread where the OP is happy about something. And also you are only allowed to post unhappy stuff in threas where the OP in unhappy about certain things. Let me tell you something.. that is not how conversations and Forums work. And if someone can not handle different opinions they SHOULDN'T be in forums like this one here or on the internet AT ALL. It is that simple. I didn't come here and insulted the OP because he has a different opinion than mine... did I? No.. So this whiteknighting is really annoying and out of place for a forum.

- - - Updated - - -

how is it relevant how much longer you've been on here or how much older you are?

It is entirely your tone of asking your question that gives off the "i'm not happy, so you can't be too"-vibe. I don't mind your opinion, honestly, I would not give a second thought about it. but the subject is that OP wants to try the class again and is excited to do so. and you come in with nothing but bad examples and show him that his enjoyment is just an illusion.

so call me w/e you like. Toxic? I don't think I am. But maybe you're toxic yourself
    For real now? you came up with this stuff, I am just reacting to your stuff, you said, "mmoc poster nowadays" which is not reality.. because I could say that to you, because I am longer a member than you. So what you said, did not make sense at all. That is why I said, I am older than you... it is not relevant to anything, just like what you said to me. But as I said, it is hard to comprehend simple english.

My tone? So I should ask in a happy tone about something I am not happy about? Sorry I am not a hypocrite, I don't do that. Maybe it is your thing of handling stuff, not mine. At the end of the day, I just asked a question and wrote down my own feelings about the current state. If you can not handle different opinions, don't be on forums and especially do not insult people because of that.
    You are the one insulting someone for no reason.. and you want to call me toxic? Are you a sociopath?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Loving the salt in this thread.

Anyway, welcome back OP. Locks are looking fantastic in BFA, particularly Demo and Destro. The latter with green fire .
    At least someone here that has fun and enjoys the clown circus here.

btw. to OP. Enjoy your WL, even tho I don't currently. But my question stays. I am still curious about that.
    Last edited by nodq; 2018-06-04 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodronin4life View Post
    Hey everyone,

I raided lock way back in vanilla, but haven't touched one since. I am actually just coming back to wow after taking a long break (since lich king). I read a lot about warlocks lately and they look really great. *though affliction looks like it won't be as strong in bfa. Demo looks crazy fun and so does destruction.

Anyone know if demonbolt is affect by mastery? With the changes to raid buffs, do you think locks will have one besides all the utility we already bring?
    Also, I am going horde, any suggestions on what race? I pve and pvp. Orc looks to be the best choice, but I hate they way they look in cloth.

Thanks everyone!
    Welcome back

I don't think Demonbolt will be affected by mastery as it technically is not a Demon.

Locks already provide enough raid utility with healthstones and summons, I don't think we will get anything else.

Min-maxing on race only matters when you are pushing the cutting edge of arenas or MDI, Orc received a nerf on the Hardiness + Relentless combo in pvp, and its +% pet dmg only benefits our 1 pet. I would choose what race you like aesthetically as when it comes to numbers its literally a 1% difference. Racials was only OP due to their utility and both bloodelves and orcs have been nerfed where blizz felt needed. If anyother racial comes across as OP (especially in MDI) then you can expect Blizz to nerf that as well.

Also, a guildie once told me that warlocks moan and complain more than any other class, and I am inclined to believe him, don't let the bad vibes distract you.

Deleted

For real now? you came up with this stuff, I am just reacting to your stuff, you said, "mmoc poster nowadays" which is not reality.. because I could say that to you, because I am longer a member than you. So what you said, did not make sense at all. That is why I said, I am older than you... it is not relevant to anything, just like what you said to me. But as I said, it is hard to comprehend simple english.

My tone? So I should ask in a happy tone about something I am not happy about? Sorry I am not a hypocrite, I don't do that. Maybe it is your thing of handling stuff, not mine. At the end of the day, I just asked a question and wrote down my own feelings about the current state. If you can not handle different opinions, don't be on forums and especially do not insult people because of that.
    You are the one insulting someone for no reason.. and you want to call me toxic? Are you a sociopath?
    Well I remember this board to be a little more friendly and/or neutral towards stuff.

And for your tone: I don't mind you not putting on a happy face to something you dislike. if you're passionate about sth, go for it. but there is a difference between "i hate x" and "I hate X, how can you enjoy it". And while we're at it: how am I insulting you. You called people names here (whiteknight, toxic, sociopath).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodronin4life View Post
    Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone!
    Welcome back man. MMO-C is a dangerous place these days if you enjoy wow and almost even more dangerous if you are actually excited about whats to come.

Personally i'm gonna main fury in bfa but i have played both demo and destruction on the beta. Demo is literally one of the most fun specs i've ever played in wow so you are in for a treat there.
    Its engaging and visually its just amazeballs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well since the OP is talking about locks let's look at the basic of warlock specs from wrath.

Wrath Afflic Lock rotation: Life Tap → Shadow Bolt → Haunt → Unstable Affliction → Corruption → Curse of Agony.

Destro Wrath: Curse of the Elements or Curse of Doom is on the target all the time
    If you have an Unholy DK or Boomkin in your raid then use Curse of Doom, otherwise use CoE.

Immolate and Corruption is on the target all the time
    Chaos Bolt is your primary spell after that
    Incinerate and Conflagrate are used on cooldown.

Your pet of choice is Imp. He deals the most damage with this spec and we have Empowered Imp, which gives us a 100% critical after the imp deals one.

Demo Wrath: Main skills:
    Life Tap – This spell triggers a buff of spell damage. It should be used all the time when the buff is about to wear off, or if you found yourself out of mana.
    Shadow Bolt – Is used when the target doesn’t have Improved Shadow Bolt on it or to fill the time between cooldowns.
    Immolate – Should be on the target all the time.

Soul Fire – Use it when Molten Core and Decimation are active. If two procs won’t come up, use it with just Decimation
    Corruption – Should be on the target all the time
    Incinerate – If two procs won’t come up, use it with just Molten Core

Curses:
    Curse of Doom – Is your primary curse while you have an Unholy Death Knight or a Moonkin in your raid.
    Curse of the Elements – Used in every other situation.

Other:
    Metamorphosis – Use as often as possible.
    Immolation Aura – Use it only when Metamorphosis is active. Worth using when some additional monsters start spawning.
    It’s better to combine Trinket cooldown with Metamorphosis.
    Demonic Empowerment – Is used on cooldown

I had to google demo lock rotation since I didn't play it back then so that might be wrong. But from my experience the first 2 are pretty much right, correct me if I'm wrong. So at least with the class the OP is excited about the rotations are pretty much the same and maybe an extra cd here and there now. Go be an asshole about someone else having fun in game again in another thread.

Seems like it unfortunately.

Yeah, you didn't really ask it as a question though, you stated your opinion as a truth in the most condescending way possible, as if people who still enjoy WoW having played in the past are weirdos.

But whatever.

It is part playing again in general. Seeing the new spell animations and sound effects just looks really cool. Green flames are such a nice change. Even the updated shadowbolt looks great.
    The class fantasy has always been appealing to me personally. So I guess it.is a mix of the 2.
    It wasn't my intention to start any arguments here.
    Also, I keep hearing zandalari will be master race lol. we don't know any of their racials yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, who do you call dumb here?
    I think I was clear enough about that previously. Wasting your time writing all this pointless bullshit wall of text just shows how much that is true.

If it was not clear enough, I was done with you in my previous reply, save the bandwidth on doing something more productive than writing salty walls of text your intended recipient does not care about.