Page 11 of 283 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, what do the people who say Fallout 4 isn't good use as an indication then?
    Its cold reception ? Its considerably low score given that its AAA game from big franchise made by big studio ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Narratively (this was regarding New Vegas, if people don't want to check back), I'd point out the following;

1> The Legion are fucking stupid. On every level. The roman influence is dumb. It's also so thin a veneer that they throw spears and have funny hats and their leader is called Caesar and that's basically it. They're just slaver raiders with funny hats. No other faction in Fallout has disappointed me so badly in terms of execution and development.

2> The NCR's base is WOEFULLY undeveloped. It's massive and barren. No real reason for that. It's an odd standout in the game.

3> Vegas itself seems underdeveloped IMO. It's less a central hub that everything revolves around and more a tiny enclave of stores and quests. To compare it to Fallout 4, it's Diamond City. Not Boston. Considering the game was named for it, there should've been more "there" there.

4> The NCR ending is SO. INCREDIBLY. GENERIC.

There's a lot of fantastic side quest stuff, but I always feel pressured to go either Mr. House or Independent with Yes Man as far as endings go, because the Legion is so aggressively dumb as a faction and the NCR so boring.

I still think the game's a 9.5/10. This is just part of that 0.5.
    I could make some arguments against those points, to get that 0.5 back

1. Ceasar didn't care about the Legion. He didn't even expect it to last after his death. His goal was to erase pre-war culture across the map, since he feared the world would once again return to it's old ways. He wanted to give everything a fresh start, so that society might grow differently from it's roots rather than just rebuild what once was. The spears are because he doesn't want his soldiers to rely on tech. He wants them to die, and in great numbers. That way, he teaches them that everything has a blood price. Killing someone a mile away with a laser or hiding in Power Armor has no blood price. The uniforms are indeed ridiculous, but it builds loyalty and culture. More importantly, it covers up what they wore before. A radical shift from basic armor or vault suits into Roman garb aides the shift in mind. Caesar was very philosophical, after all. Even minor symbolism was very important to him.

2. It's a remote outpost for them. It's made known how thin they are stretched, this far from California, and why the rely on the Courier for so much. They also make up for quality with quantity. While the Legion only has Fortification Hill and the surrounding areas, The NCR has McCarran, Hoover Dam, HELIOS 1, and half a dozen other smaller outposts.

3. Vegas just isn't the Strip. There is all of Freeside as well, and Westside. And that's just the inhabited bits. Vegas is a pretty big chunk of the map when you include all the explorable ruins.

4. The NCR themselves are generic beaurocrats, siding with them one would expect the standard ending, since that's what you chose to side with: Simplistic Lawful Good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Its cold reception ? Its considerably low score given that its AAA game from big franchise made by big studio ?
    The sales numbers are a concrete argument any such "cold reception".

The "low scores" you're citing are only audience reviews, not critics reviews, and audience reviews can be incredibly "swingy" over the stupidest shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sales numbers are a concrete argument any such "cold reception".

The "low scores" you're citing are only audience reviews, not critics reviews, and audience reviews can be incredibly "swingy" over the stupidest shit.
    Unlike critic reviews who never rate any AAA game below 70/100 because they gonna receive unpleasant call.

Also, for some reason i take general audience opinion as better indicator of games quality than "proffesional" review of someone who played whole 3-4 hours. And possibly got stuck in tutorial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike critic reviews who never rate any AAA game below 70/100 because they gonna receive unpleasant call.
    Well, that's just flat-out untrue.

Also, for some reason i take general audience opinion as better indicator of games quality than "proffesional" review of someone who played whole 3-4 hours. And possibly got stuck in tutorial.
    And this is just utterly meritless as an argument. You have no basis for this whatsoever.

This is going to end up being a battle royale, mark my words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's just flat-out untrue.
    No, its totally not like companies refuse to give review copies to journalist who rate them poorly. Not at all.

And this is just utterly meritless as an argument. You have no basis for this whatsoever.

No basis whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, its totally not like companies refuse to give review copies to journalist who rate them poorly. Not at all.
    There are plenty of people who review games who don't get free/advance copies. And making this accusation categorically is just wrong.

No basis whatsoever.
    1> That's about Cuphead. Not Fallout.
    2> The reviewer was playing outside his comfort zone, knew it, and uploaded the footage as a joke at his own expense. The only reason he was even reviewing it at all is that he was the only staff member at the event to test the game in that moment. Seriously, you couldn't have picked a better example of how wrong your entire viewpoint on this really is.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/08/t...-runneth-over/

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed Fallout 4, it was the second Fallout game I've played(New Vegas is where I started but never finished). Lots of Side quests but not that many stood out to me. I sorta enjoyed building up a settlement or at least Sanctuary but it felt extremely limited without mods which isn't a very good endorsement. Maybe that's odd to say but that's how I felt.

Main storyline was interesting but still felt kinda short, it also goes against the whole exploring the wasteland cause most Dads would care about their son. You could argue game mechanics but perhaps a different storyline starting out could of helped. Gunplay was way better though, I loved it.

DLC was...meh it was serviceable, Far Harbor was the best of it but I still wanted more. Also that puzzle in Far Harbor that's...virtual or whatever....no stop please go away.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    DLC was...meh it was serviceable, Far Harbor was the best of it but I still wanted more. Also that puzzle in Far Harbor that's...virtual or whatever....no stop please go away.
    The one in DiMA's memories? I actually enjoyed that one. Played it so long I forgot I was even playing Fallout. When I finished and was suddenly in the Nucleus again I was like 'oh shit'.

Deleted
    Its cold reception ?
    I didn't see it getting a cold reception. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could have something to do with echo chambers, perhaps?

Its considerably low score given that its AAA game from big franchise made by big studio ?
    Steam reviews aren't representative of anything, especially when so many bitter, bratty people do review bombs on games for completely external issues such as the price of a Season Pass or the Creation Club. The Steam reviews should be much more complex, so people could review different aspects of the game, and the reviews should reflect only the actual game, and then only additionally stuff like its price, or external services like the Creation Club, and DLCs should only ever be reviewed separate of the game. However, you can't trust people to stick to a system like that; they'll just go gleefully throwing 1/10 on games they don't like.

Which is why Steam reviews are meaningless. PewDiePie's meme reviews have more clout than any Steam review.

Deleted
    1> The Legion are fucking stupid. On every level. The roman influence is dumb. It's also so thin a veneer that they throw spears and have funny hats and their leader is called Caesar and that's basically it. They're just slaver raiders with funny hats. No other faction in Fallout has disappointed me so badly in terms of execution and development.
    The Legion lands and the Cult of Mars originally would have been explored far more, it was the deadline that Beth went crazy about that forced Obsidian to forget about proper Legion development. Still, I do find them interesting. Some of the most memorable characters in New Vegas are members or are former members of the Legion. Burned Man, Ulysses, Legate Lanius, Vulpes Inculta and Edward Sallow, Caesar himself. Which NCR member truly left a lasting impression upon you?

Also, the Legion is far more capable then the people give them credit. They seem to rely on a lot of sabotage, subversion and infiltration before truly attacking.

2> The NCR's base is WOEFULLY undeveloped. It's massive and barren. No real reason for that. It's an odd standout in the game.
    3> Vegas itself seems underdeveloped IMO. It's less a central hub that everything revolves around and more a tiny enclave of stores and quests. To compare it to Fallout 4, it's Diamond City. Not Boston. Considering the game was named for it, there should've been more "there" there.
    Yep, once again Beth kept shoving the deadline down the Obsidian throat.

4> The NCR ending is SO. INCREDIBLY. GENERIC.
    NCR is a boring as fuck faction, the ending is merely a reflection of that.

There's a lot of fantastic side quest stuff, but I always feel pressured to go either Mr. House or Independent with Yes Man as far as endings go, because the Legion is so aggressively dumb as a faction and the NCR so boring.
    If Fallout world was real, I would choose Mr. House in New Vegas and the Institute in Fallout 4.

I still think the game's a 9.5/10. This is just part of that 0.5.
    The game is brilliant, the DLCs are also amazing. The story in Dead Money is beautifully tragic. Fallout 4 DLCs, with the exception of Far Harbor, were personally a disappointment for me.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I think it's weaker narratively than New Vegas, I'd put the story on-par with Fallout 3, and the game mechanics are, IMO, far better.
    It had weaker narrative, but superior game mechanics. I suppose it all comes down to which you favor more.

As a person who has been with this franchise since the beginning, the story always comes first for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I didn't see it getting a cold reception. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could have something to do with echo chambers, perhaps?
    Steam reviews aren't representative of anything, especially when so many bitter, bratty people do review bombs on games for completely external issues such as the price of a Season Pass or the Creation Club. The Steam reviews should be much more complex, so people could review different aspects of the game, and the reviews should reflect only the actual game, and then only additionally stuff like its price, or external services like the Creation Club, and DLCs should only ever be reviewed separate of the game. However, you can't trust people to stick to a system like that; they'll just go gleefully throwing 1/10 on games they don't like.

Which is why Steam reviews are meaningless. PewDiePie's meme reviews have more clout than any Steam review.
    Oh yeah, it having 68% on steam definately is echo chamber. Remind me, echo chamber is when people disagree with you right ?

And i wonder if they would be so "meaningless" if F4 was on solid 96% like witcher 3 is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure New Vegas would probably be moderately different if the deadline wasn't in place(THANKS BETHESDA)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    If you just wanted a competent run and gun shooter, FO4 is good

If you wanted an RPG, FO4 is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    Some of the most memorable characters in New Vegas are members or are former members of the Legion. Burned Man, Ulysses, Legate Lanius, Vulpes Inculta and Edward Sallow, Caesar himself.
    Voice acting and dialogue of some of them was just superb. I remember just chatting with fckn Caesar for like 20 mins lol.
    Last edited by Dagoth Ur; 2018-06-07 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Voice acting and dialogue of some of them was just superb. I remember just chatting with fckn Ceaser for like 20 mins lol.
    Oh the entire old world blues cast was a delight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Voice acting and dialogue of some of them was just superb. I remember just chatting with fckn Ceaser for like 20 mins lol.
    Yep, brilliant work.

I still get chills when I see this,

Or this

and this

Last edited by mmocf1f199c0ed; 2018-06-07 at 10:31 PM.

Man, ya'll are making me want to pick up New Vegas again. Such a shame that the game was never completely finished.

As for the factions, I tried to get the Legion, I did, but Caesar is just too full of shit. Not only is he a giant hypocrite by using technology to save himself when he denies it to his followers, but his entire faction is based on the lie that defeating NCR will lead to his Legion turning actual Rome because muh Hegelian dialectics. The thing is, speding five minutes speaking to actual Legion NPCs show that nobody else gives a flying fuck about his vision. Lanius is obviously in his element in the Legion's brutal dictatorship and changes nothing of it. Vulpes is an enforcer who is just in to get a job done and doesn't care past that. And everyone else is a glorified raider, some of them even think Caesar doesn't go far enough.

Plus, I get that Rome existed and all that, but them running around in skirts and waxing lyrical about how rape, pillage and torture are awesome just made them too cartoonish for me.

I actually liked the NCR, they have failings that are natural to a government, they feel a lot more real than the Legion to me. My favored ending is Independent Vegas with an intelligent and/or nice Courier running the show, but House or NCR also work. The bad endings for me are the Legion (both permutations) and independent with a Courier who is dumb/an asshole.

Deleted
    Oh yeah, it having 68% on steam definately is echo chamber. Remind me, echo chamber is when people disagree with you right ?
    I meant that we probably all live in our own, respective echo chambers. I live in one where people echo my sentiments of Fallout 4 being great, and them enjoying it thoroughly, and you live in yours where people hate it.

That 68% figure you're throwing around is from about 80000 reviews, which includes both waves of review bombing. And still, after all that, 68% of the people who reviewed it gave it a thumbs up and either liked or loved it. Incidentally, if you go through the review bomb waves, and read those reviews, you'll get some good laughs. It's basically Alex Jones -level peddling of conspiratorial hyperbole and BS about pricing and the Creation Club.

However, if Skyrim sold over 22 million copies, and Fallout 4 surpassed that (by how much, who knows), using just that 22 million -number as an example, 80000/22000000*100=0.36% of the people who bought the game felt like reviewing it. Now, you're free to expand those 80000 reviews to cover all of the millions upon millions of people who bought it, but even if you do that, you'll still end up with 68% of the people liking or loving it, which to me, seems like a success.

EDIT: Apparently Skyrim actually sold 30 million copies. Another one of those failures of Bethesda I guess. In any case, whether Fallout 4 surpassed that or not, we only have a Bethesda statement to rely on, so feel free to be conspiratorial about that.

And i wonder if they would be so "meaningless" if F4 was on solid 96% like witcher 3 is.
    They would be just as meaningless. I mean, personally, I don't need to look at any numbers, be they reviews or sales. I've played the game for 1000 hours, which is about 999 hours more than most people who gave it a negative review I'm guessing. I can tell you from very good experience that I love it, and it's been a great experience all round, and this is coming from someone who played the original Fallout back when it came out, loved it, and then was disappointed with Chris Avellone deciding that my Fallout character had had children. I never chose that, Chris. I also never chose to play as some brainless tribal. But, hey, some love his design choices, and sometimes I feel like they're not that great or smart.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-07 at 11:44 PM.