Thread: The Boys

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    Yeah I picked up later on that he was supposed to be English specifically due to the script.

And I know old mate is kiwi but he sounded aussie to me, maybe because of the feigned English accent or maybe because they never had him talk about fish and chips.
    he didnt sound english but I dont think it hurt the material. It wasnt distracting to me but maybe it was to some.

They should have got him to ride a whale with the deep and talk about Lord of the rings so to make sure people know hes kiwi

I really enjoyed this show. Hadn't heard of the comics before, might look into them. Karl Urban looked like he had a great time in the role of Billy Butcher. The dude playing Homelander was also brilliant. The he portrays Homelander's struggle to contain his contempt for everyone was utterly chilling, one of the few genuinely terrifying characters on TV for me. The tension when he is on screen, especially with a small group, people who know the real him, they are are shitting themselves, hoping he doesn't lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that Karl Urban is from New Zealand, i thought he waa pulling an aussie accent

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I really enjoyed this show. Hadn't heard of the comics before, might look into them. Karl Urban looked like he had a great time in the role of Billy Butcher. The dude playing Homelander was also brilliant. The he portrays Homelander's struggle to contain his contempt for everyone was utterly chilling, one of the few genuinely terrifying characters on TV for me. The tension when he is on screen, especially with a small group, people who know the real him, they are are shitting themselves, hoping he doesn't lose it.
    I read the entire 72-issue series online last week because of this thread. I was hooked. Took me 3 days to read all of it but it was well worth it. Google "The Boys Comic".

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The actress, while pretty, is very underwhelming. She was a burden on the show because of how dull the character is and her bad acting. I don’t think they picked the right actress for the part. Her scenes were my least favorite.
    Exactly how she is in the comic prettymuch. She ends up not really doing anything special though that's probably why she ends up being the only member of The Seven other than The Deep who isn't killed off by the end of the Comic series. I thought she would be set up to do more but nope. The series ending with her and Hugie was the right one for both of them and predictable but also felt underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahikari View Post
    Sweet baby jesus, the comic its all sorts of fucked up, loving it
    Hell yeah. How far are you? Which Arc are you on? Wait till you see why Love Sausage is so named if you haven't gotten there yet. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    I read the entire 72-issue series online last week because of this thread. I was hooked. Took me 3 days to read all of it but it was well worth it. Google "The Boys Comic".

Exactly how she is in the comic prettymuch. She ends up not really doing anything special though that's probably why she ends up being the only member of The Seven other than The Deep who isn't killed off by the end of the Comic series. I thought she would be set up to do more but nope. The series ending with her and Hugie was the right one for both of them and predictable but also felt underwhelming.

Hell yeah. How far are you? Which Arc are you on? Wait till you see why Love Sausage is so named if you haven't gotten there yet. LOL.
    Finished the same day i started, man, fuck billy, and also, not fuck because of what he did to some hillary, but fuck him for the other thing he did

Quote Originally Posted by Nahikari View Post
    Finished the same day i started, man, fuck billy, and also, not fuck because of what he did to some hillary, but fuck him for the other thing he did
    Now read Herogasm, Highland Laddie and Butcher, Baker , Candlestick maker. All are mini series that fit into the narrative.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post

*snip*

Hey, maybe don't just casually drop spoilers like that in this thread. I imagine this show will get a fair few people to also go read the comics and just stumbling across comic spoilers is no fun for anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm like 2 chapters away from finishing the first comics and can't help but think, the show really did turn the narrative upside down huh? Not to mention the obviously bringing down of all the violence and other PC related stuff.

But ye, it's like they're 2 separate stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I'm like 2 chapters away from finishing the first comics and can't help but think, the show really did turn the narrative upside down huh? Not to mention the obviously bringing down of all the violence and other PC related stuff.

But ye, it's like they're 2 separate stories.
    The showrunners said that they had to cut some scenes that were to explicit, but the show is good imo

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Hey, maybe don't just casually drop spoilers like that in this thread. I imagine this show will get a fair few people to also go read the comics and just stumbling across comic spoilers is no fun for anyone.
    I understand why you said it, but I still find it amusing that for possibly the first time ever someone doesn't want people to talk about spoilers for something that ended 7 years prior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I understand why you said it, but I still find it amusing that for possibly the first time ever someone doesn't want people to talk about spoilers for something that ended 7 years prior.
    Only because, as I said, this series is very likely to get people to go back and read the comics. I also just found it funny that in the same post, he dropped major spoilers for the series as a whole but then didn't want to spoil why Love Sausage is so named.

To me the TV series almost felt like a prequel to the comics, just with some players (Starlight and Huwie) moved into place early.

From the end of the first series they could easily find themselves in the situation where The Boys are an official CIA unit tasked with keeping supes inline, whilst Vought and the CIA are in a power struggle where neither side can act openly against the other but they both hold cards that give them some leverage. We also got to see them discovering Compound V and the Female establishing her relationship with Frenchie, things that were already underway when the comic series started.

Pretty much the best show in 2019, there is nothing to say, I didn't know what it was beforehand and I was very pleasantly surprised to know it was this good when I finally watched it.

All the praise in this thread convinced me to watch it and I'm glad I did. Best series in quite a while. My only gripe is that I think it would've been better as 10 episodes and then be done with it, I don't see this quality carrying for a lot of seasons tbh.

Unused ad.

- - - Updated - - -

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

7+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say, after being half through the comics, I'm kinda disappointed by the show. Sure, acting is great and stuff, but Boys not having super powers (apart from Female) was lame. Also, Butcher seems to lost much of his comic book charisma. And then there is the absence of other super groups, it's all about the Seven. Sure, TV shows have their limitations, but still, I like comic books more.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished it. What a good antithesis to the boredom I was getting from the current Superhero movie trend.

I binged the whole thing and it was pretty fun, but a little uneven. It had many great moment and some good acting, but it's also filled with cliches, bad acting and plot device after plot device. It's like a dollar short of greatness in this golden age of TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was looking into watching this show.

For someone who never read the comics or knows the universe this is set in, is the show worth watching?
    Selling myself out below

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Was looking into watching this show.

For someone who never read the comics or knows the universe this is set in, is the show worth watching?
    I didn't even know there was a comic until I went to work the following Monday after binging it over a weekend and a colleague told me.

You don't need to know anything beforehand.