Thread: Starfield

Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I wad excited for this - and then saw the price on the preorder. It's a big jump up from other games, even aaa ones.
    It will be available day 1 on Gamepass with pre-order bonuses included.

It's $10/month. Often you can buy discount passes on Amazon for $7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    When we were working on Two Point Hospital, the sheer outlandishness and esoteric scenarios players came up with that caused bugs or game errors bordered on absurdist comedy.
    Can second this from my own history in game design. You can come up with a concept, you can run as much internal QA as you want, you can stress to every conceivable scenario, and within a week someone will come along and look at a game you've spent months, if not years, looking at and find something you didn't think of and watch it totally fuck everything up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It will be available day 1 on Gamepass with pre-order bonuses included.

It's $10/month. Often you can buy discount passes on Amazon for $7.
    If they get this as one of their cloud titles, allowing people to stream/play (which costs a couple of bucks more to have access to) they'll make a killing. This is going to require so many people to upgrade their PC that playing through gamepass cloud might be a much more appealing option.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Settlement building seems tacked on no matter how polished it is. It's like putting a clock on a toaster. Did anyone like settlement building in fallout 4 and hope for it to come back? Any settlement building fans here? Seems arbitrary. I never "got" settlement building and I assumed it was just because I didn't play Minecraft or whatever game gave them the idea.

Granted it makes more narrative sense in space, but I'm still left to wonder why, and to dismay at the opportunity costs of a feature I consider needless. Seems like a "clever" way to get me to work and value something they should have just done for me in an artisanal way. What about building and personalizing communal dwellings so fascinates others yet so completely escapes all but my contempt?
    I like settlements. Love building shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is weird that Microsoft will sell subscribers a premium upgrade when they don't technically own the standard edition. Though I haven't tried to buy it to see if they actually allow you to purchase it with the "free" game pass license. Huh, the price is off as well. $34.99 for upgrade + $69.99 for standard is over the $99.99 price of Premium.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is weird that Microsoft will sell subscribers a premium upgrade when they don't technically own the standard edition. Though I haven't tried to buy it to see if they actually allow you to purchase it with the "free" game pass license. Huh, the price is off as well. $34.99 for upgrade + $69.99 for standard is over the $99.99 price of Premium.
    Nah that adds up, so people who buy it in pieces as and when they can afford will pay a little more vs the allure of buying it all at once for less.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I *WANT* this game to be good.

I'm hoping its not another Fallout 76 or No Man's Sky where they just ship it out and "Fix" after launch. The footage shown looked really polished though
    its a bethesda game,there wont even be a fix after launch lol,skyrim sill has day 1 bugs,i think the manequin thing was finnaly fixed in the recent game version for skyrim,one that you have to buy ofc LOL

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The catch with GamePass is they can (and eventually will) cycle through and remove it from being in included in the pass, forcing those that want to keep playing to buy it or lose the ability to play. So GamePass is a great deal, especially if you can complete a game while it's on the pass. But it's more of a long-term trial or rental. You just get to play it as long as they leave it on the pass, so buying and upgrading are for permanent ownership and to avoid the dreaded "Leaving Soon".

10+ Year Old Account
    After watching the 45 min gameplay, I think it has potential to be a pretty cool game. Not going to pre-order tho because their last game was fallout 76. It also dosent seem to have any different enemy variation, other than dudes in space suits that might be re-colored.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find it highly amusing that one of the recent talking points from one of the higher ups - that I've read two articles quoting this now - is them saying that with all the MS bug/internal testing - he stated "This will be the LEAST Buggiest Bethseda release of all."

I mean - I hope that's true! That's a great thing! But as Bethseda is about the biggest developer known for releasing seriously buggy shit day 1, its also a comparative statement that ultimately may not mean much =D. A Bethseda game with 50% less bugs is probably about 80% more bugs than other games =D.

I mean I've loved TES since Daggerfall, and I'm certainly USE to their buggy ass releases and thank all our stars for the wonderful mod community that fixes it afterwards! Its why I always wait a few months, if not more, before buying a Bethseba game. I know it - I accept it - so I don't fall for the stupid hype.

And continue to thank our stars these are so easily moddable.

In fact, as a girl who cut her teeth on 90s PC gaming - when NO Game purchased EVER worked out of the box for your PC (at least mine never did) and there were no such things as refunds for anything outside of another copy of the same game -- really the gaming world hasn't gotten beyond that. So now, honestly, if ANY game Doesn't allow mods at all, I SERIOUSLY consider whether I want to purchase at all. Because so much is repaired and fixed that way - across developers - across games - across decades now. Its almost becoming a requirement for me.

*chuckles* "Its gonna be the least buggy game yet!" Well after 20+ years of doing this, I'd hope you could figure out something better at some point. Other devs figure it out.

And yeah - if this thing is even half as microtransaction based as Fallout 76 - that'll be a hard pass. And I'll probably give up all hope that TES VI will be something I'll buy. Because if Starfield comes out with heavy MCT, you know ES VI has no chance of avoiding it.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as MXTs remain cosmetic I'll be fine with it, yes there's some minor QoL/Functionality options in 76 but they're optional. I don't see them extending that to a single player game where people can just mod it to have those things.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    its a bethesda game,there wont even be a fix after launch lol,skyrim sill has day 1 bugs,i think the manequin thing was finnaly fixed in the recent game version for skyrim,one that you have to buy ofc LOL
    Oblivion GOTY edition still has a bug where you can't complete the quest to cure vampirism. Bethesda support is trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have a good explanation why Starfield "requiring" an SSD has been so news worthy? The min specs are basically a 2017 gaming PC but then for some reason having a 30€ SSD is such an excluding requirement? God damn click baits...

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    The catch with GamePass is they can (and eventually will) cycle through and remove it from being in included in the pass, forcing those that want to keep playing to buy it or lose the ability to play. So GamePass is a great deal, especially if you can complete a game while it's on the pass. But it's more of a long-term trial or rental. You just get to play it as long as they leave it on the pass, so buying and upgrading are for permanent ownership and to avoid the dreaded "Leaving Soon".
    Yeah, it's an upsell service moreso than anything, I cancelled my subscription earlier this year, and I'll be buying this game for cash. Nothing against those still on it, but it's not for me. Besides it trying to incentivize me to buy DLC, I also don't want to support many of the developers who have games on gamepass. By not partaking in the service, and by buying games outright, I may not save money, but I would be surprised if I lost as much money as many expect, and on top of that, I get to vote with my wallet, instead of hoping that my metadata is being tracked and trust MS to count it as my vote. No, I vote with my wallet again, and I'm happy about that. I am also not beholden to a monthly fee to access my backlog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Anyone have a good explanation why Starfield "requiring" an SSD has been so news worthy? The min specs are basically a 2017 gaming PC but then for some reason having a 30€ SSD is such an excluding requirement? God damn click baits...
    It really shouldn't be. I can't imagine a computer young enough to play this game(that is 30fps on XSX, apparently by necessity) but old enough to have a HDD installed as the primary drive. I understand that most computers are prebuilts but who is selling high end gaming PCs without the OS at least on SSD in the past several years? I'm guessing some may just be mad that they have a 120gb ssd or something and they can't play the game off their backup hdd.

PS5 has to have a PCI-E M.2 for expansion, just bought a 2tb one, and imo, it really isn't asking too much for PC players to have a simple SSD.

Never understand why PC players spend thousands of dollars on PC, then penny pinch on hardware and software any chance they get. You would think console owners would be the cheap ones, but no.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-06-14 at 07:50 PM.

fter watching the 45 min gameplay, I think it has potential to be a pretty cool game

10+ Year Old Account
    Really looks like a awesome game to me...hope it's good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    We can give Bethesda credit where credit is due, they support their games for a long time. Might not be the best but they do. Any other company would have abandoned Fallout 76...and its not terrible anymore. Skyrim is stable and one of the most extensible games ever. Dare I say Fallout 3 works better than NV.

Starfield might be infested with bugs at launch. Ships might blowup if you look at them the wrong way. They will be fixed. If someone can't stomach dealing with zero day bugs and performance issues they might want to hold off for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    I doubt it requires an SSD. The likely scenario is that they used SSD speeds as a baseline for background processes that make the game work they want it to. Whatever kind of I/O the game engine does is designed around SSD capabilities. A hybrid HDD or modern 7200 will probably be fine but you don't know what people have on PCs so that "requirement" is signaling to customers what they tested the game with.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I doubt it requires an SSD. The likely scenario is that they used SSD speeds as a baseline for background processes that make the game work they want it to. Whatever kind of I/O the game engine does is designed around SSD capabilities. A hybrid HDD or modern 7200 will probably be fine but you don't know what people have on PCs so that "requirement" is signaling to customers what they tested the game with.
    Yea, that's why i said "requires", because it's just in the minimum requirements. But that's not the point. The point is that reporters have realised that ANYTHING Starfield related is now newsworthy, so they create this weird "problem", where it's outlandish to "require" a 30-50€ SSD from a pretty decent 5-6 year old gaming PC. And IF it's actually a problem for someone, that they have GTX 1070 Ti comparable GPU and an i7 6800K comparable CPU, yet for some reason they DON'T have an SSD, I think they should re-evaluate their priorities when upgrading their gaming rigs.

Looks cool. Shame I’ll never play it since it doesn’t have coop. No coop/multi = not for me. I’d rather watch a movie then. Oh well

1+ Year Old Account
    A few things you might have missed from the trailer, such as the option to Hide Spacesuit in settlements and other areas where it's not needed, and just appear in your regular clothes. Lewd clothing mods are safe, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    the option to Hide Spacesuit in settlements and other areas where it's not needed, and just appear in your regular clothes. Lewd clothing mods are safe, guys.
    I dont think you need such an Option if you use Mods to change your Appearance, you could just Mod the SpaceSuit into a Bikini.