Thread: Light No Fire

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Light No Fire

With the way No Man's Sky has turned out I'm very excited for a fantasy version on one big planet!

I thought this looked great. No Man's Sky is one of my favorite games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely an ambitious undertaking. If they pull it off, it could be a pretty big step for gaming.

Little concerned that the content creators are pushing the hype train a bit too hard with how little info there is available for this game at this time.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Definitely an ambitious undertaking. If they pull it off, it could be a pretty big step for gaming.

Little concerned that the content creators are pushing the hype train a bit too hard with how little info there is available for this game at this time.
    When I heard about it all I could think of was that Sean Murray apparently didn't learn anything from No Man's Sky.
    What he promises is even bigger than the NMS promises.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    The real question: is this connected to No Man's Sky and the deep lore? The deep lore being that the entire universe is the simulation of a dying computer, and there have been previous iterations in the past. That would be a fun little thing to connect it! Though I suppose they may want to go another direction.

Very, very little information to date so far so a little early to say anything. Trailer does look interesting and hopefully they learnt from the release of NMS.

Looks like a lot of humanoid animal races will be available though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably, hope, because the footage is early but it just looks like a NMS mod. Like someone just went in an changed the models. Even the dragons are just NMS ships with wings. The bird at 0:43 does the very familiar ship takeoff sequence.

I really don't care if it's just a fantasy reskin, just don't charge me full price for it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I would gladly pay $100 for every copy of NMS I purchased. Which I did for every system multiple times- for myself, my husband, and 2 kids.

The value and enjoyment were well worth it in sheer hours alone. NMS VR is the only reason we got a VR kit. And it's phenomenal.

Hello Games have my business in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I would gladly pay $100 for every copy of NMS I purchased. Which I did for every system multiple times- for myself, my husband, and 2 kids.

The value and enjoyment were well worth it in sheer hours alone. NMS VR is the only reason we got a VR kit. And it's phenomenal.

Same tbh. While the game wasn't perfect on launch, I still had a blast. And since that moment, they kept releasing big meaningful updates one after the other, all for free. At this point I almost feel dirty for not paying anything extra, so yeah this next game will be an instant pre-order for me, no question asked. Really interested in this game, I'm sure ill sink a ton of hours in it just like i did NMS

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    When I heard about it all I could think of was that Sean Murray apparently didn't learn anything from No Man's Sky.
    I guess you haven't followed NMS much then.

Looks nice, but if it has No Mans Sky's shallowness it'll be a shame. Not interested in another inventory management sim slapped onto a bunch of samey procgen environments. Hopefully there'll be more meat on the bone.

Looks interesting but so did no mans sky when sean/hello games was telling so many lies about what it could do but couldn't.

It will be interesting to see if they can successfully launch a feature complete game with everything they tell you it can do. This does look interesting enough to keep an eye on but not a day one purchase for sure.

that's what makes me skeptical. I'm more curious can they get it right this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I guess you haven't followed NMS much then.
    Not sure what that have to do with anything.
    Did they redeem the game? Yeah... did they overpromise the game before release and straight up lied about things? Yeah.

Here he is promising grander things than NMS. Will Light No Fire be good eventually? Probably... but yeah I'm still gonna take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2023-12-14 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

It's great someone loves it. I tried it with a friend of mine last year with Gabe Pass. Couldn't enjoy any of the gameplay features. I'd rather just play Terraria. But I'll give them credit for sticking with it and fixing it.

Here he is promising grander things than NMS. Will Light No Fire be good eventually? Probably... but yeah I'm still gonna take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.
    This is the only thing I've seen of Light No Fire.

"Light No Fire is a game about adventure, building, survival and exploration together. Set on a fantasy planet the size of Earth, it brings the depth of a role-playing game to the freedom of a survival sandbox"

and

"“For our new game, we wanted to create an Earth,” he continued. “A planet that is as varied as a universe. Something that’s bigger than Earth. Something with real mountains, not video game mountains, but mountains that are miles high [and] taller than Everest.”

“The first real open world. Something without boundaries and we’re going to let everyone play in it together. It’s a place where people can live out their adventures together.” You can watch the full interview from The Game Awards below."

What am I missing here that is grander than NMS?

Some of the largest planets in NMS would take like a half day or more to walk across. Seems plausible they could make a large piece of geometry in LNF.

This is the only thing I've seen of Light No Fire.

"Light No Fire is a game about adventure, building, survival and exploration together. Set on a fantasy planet the size of Earth, it brings the depth of a role-playing game to the freedom of a survival sandbox"

and

"“For our new game, we wanted to create an Earth,” he continued. “A planet that is as varied as a universe. Something that’s bigger than Earth. Something with real mountains, not video game mountains, but mountains that are miles high [and] taller than Everest.”

“The first real open world. Something without boundaries and we’re going to let everyone play in it together. It’s a place where people can live out their adventures together.” You can watch the full interview from The Game Awards below."

What am I missing here that is grander than NMS?

“For the last five years we’ve been working on something new,” Murray explains, “something very different, something maybe more ambitious.”

So yeah, his own words. It's grander than NMS.

“For our new game, we wanted to create an Earth,” he continued. “A planet that is as varied as a universe. Something that’s bigger than Earth. Something with real mountains, not video game mountains, but mountains that are miles high [and] taller than Everest.”

The planet is gonna be more varied than the universe, assuming he talks about NMS. Real universe wouldn't make much sense since that wouldn't be possible.

“The first real open world. Something without boundaries and we’re going to let everyone play in it together. It’s a place where people can live out their adventures together.”

The first REAL open world. Not entirely sure what that entails, but once again, upping the bar compared to every other open world game that has been released.

Some of the largest planets in NMS would take like a half day or more to walk across. Seems plausible they could make a large piece of geometry in LNF.
    Size isn't the issue, you can technically make things seemingly infinite in gaming space. With various trickery. So "walking across" a planet in half a day isn't the point. If they gonna create an earth that's more varied than the universe, it needs to be dense. Making a "real" earth so to speak is a high bar he himself have now put out there. I'm referring to the scope he is talking about. "Real mountains" not video game mountains etc etc.

it's all great if true... but yeah, he's promising some wild stuff.

https://www.techradar.com/gaming/lig...to-sean-murray

“For the last five years we’ve been working on something new,” Murray explains, “something very different, something maybe more ambitious.”

So yeah, his own words. It's grander than NMS.
    I would say that is your interpretation of this statement is "grander".

Ambitious can contain a lot of things or his subjective view of elements not expressly said or written in this case.

The planet is gonna be more varied than the universe, assuming he talks about NMS. Real universe wouldn't make much sense since that wouldn't be possible.
    That's not what he said. He said, "as varied". And he may not have been speaking literally, but metaphorically. Though if the former, he didn't define what he meant as varied or in what manner.

I think you are interpreting his words here in a way that isn't expressly defined by Murray.

I would say that is your interpretation of this statement is "grander".

Ambitious can contain a lot of things or his subjective view of elements not expressly said or written in this case.

That's not what he said. He said, "as varied". And he may not have been speaking literally, but metaphorically. Though if the former, he didn't define what he meant as varied or in what manner.

I think you are interpreting his words here in a way that isn't expressly defined by Murray.
    More ambitious is his words. I used another word like grander... maybe it's my choice of words, but to me there isn't much difference there.
    Saying he promise grand things, as in big things, is what being "more ambitious" is... being more ambitious often means bigger or more of the scope. As I mentioned I'm not talking about size.

You are correct with that it's as varied though. I grant you that, but it's more of a technical achievement to create an earth as varied as a universe in a space game. I feel like my comment on it still stands.

He's still using terms like bigger than earth and also a REAL open world game, which is ambiguous but once again still promises a whole lot even though it's not exactly clear what. Real mountains, not video game mountains etc etc. All of these are big promises, which considering his track record with NMS is probably something he should be careful about... that's all.

More ambitious is his words.
    Yeah, but he could mean any number of qualities are more ambitious. I t just means he has a desire to achieve something. The something we don't know what it is yet.

"Grander" implies scope, size, etc.

These words imply different things. One could say your next project is more ambitious and not necessarily be saying that project is greater in size, scope, style, etc.

You are correct with that it's as varied though. I grant you that, but it's more of a technical achievement to create an earth as varied as a universe in a space game. I feel like my comment on it still stands.
    We don't know what he is outlining as varied though. Or if, quite likely, he is promoting his game using informal and superlative languge. He might not be speaking literally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't trust their opening sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water