Thread: Awful RP

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Awful RP

Do you have any detailed encounters with awful roleplayers or just roleplayers with pretty bad TRP3/MRP profiles? It can range from people just being completely lore illiterate to ridiculous Mary Sues to characters that are created entirely to fulfill some gross fetish for ERP (don't be too explicit for the latter).

---snip---

I've had my fair share of encounters with ICly shemales, ridiculous half-breeds (half-human/half-troll, a def nelf-troll that spoke with an automated gnomish translator), ridiculous things like someone with a human toon ICly roleplaying a centaur in the Blue Recluse, tree roleplayers (lol) and lolis.

Although I guess I sort of bring that on to myself roleplaying Alliance on MoonGuard...
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-06-30 at 05:31 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    To random.. ye I think you should go out and do some larping.

That picture is horrible... no realy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    RP on wyrmrest accord instead, i haven't seen any of this crap on there yet.
    I roleplay Horde on Wyrmrest Accord, but I mainly stay on MoonGuard (Alliance side) for my friends.

Alliance wra is pretty good, moonguard should just be avoided most of the time tbh.
    How's the dwarf RP?

Damn I actally wish there were more gloves in wow that only cover one hand
    looks cool as fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Its not bad RP. Its DeviantART leaking out of its boundaries after void elves cleared path.

That picture almost gave me an aneurysm.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

I used to snicker with my friends about cringey RPers but these days I just don't really care. If it's fun for them and they're not doing anything gross in public, I just avoid them and move on. Even though I'd played all previous Warcraft games and knew the lore up to that point, I'm sure I was pretty awful when I first started RPing in WoW.

The only thing that makes me scratch my head now are the random RPs you sometimes see in group finder, such as "modern high school RP". Like I saw a Kingdom Hearts RP a while back and I just don't really get it. Second Life is free last I checked and would probably be much better suited for something like that, but if it brings them joy then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The few times I'm "forced" to interact with an RPer I personally find dumb (at a guild event, for example) I just do my best to avoid them or, if they're persistently interacting with me, my character usually treats them as dumb as they seem.
    Last edited by seleri; 2018-06-30 at 04:29 AM.

Alliance wra is pretty good, moonguard should just be avoided most of the time tbh.
    moon guard will always be the best server.

but anyway, i've seen some pretty cringe shit over the years. cat clans are pretty bad, assorted pictures of trp/mrps, edgelord stuff is the worst though.

i saw a velf trying to be tough in stormwind a while back. that made me hold my chest for a sec.

I've seen issues on both servers, myself.

When you have a large RP population, you're bound to see the weird cliques show up.
    Sometimes it is obvious, other times you only notice it in their profiles if you read long enough.

RP Communities can just be really strange places, and incredibly over-dramatic at times.

Wildstar's RP community cannibalized itself and degraded into tiny cliques who now all avoid each other.
    - I had 2 friends get driven off the game itself due to harassment, because they didn't want to recognize lore-breaking characters in RP.

Champion's Online RP community has a lot of furries, especially ERPers who inhabit most of the RP hubs now.

On Moon Guard and Wyrmrest I mostly see four categories.
    --Elitists who think they're superior to others based on RP choices, or even server choice. (Attending a WRA event on a MG character was insanely bad)
    --Cliques who shun everyone else but their own.
    --The Mary Sue/ERP/SJW crowd, god modding galore and social justice crap. (No, my troll doesn't care that you're trans. She just hates Elves.)
    --RPers that just don't want any of the above bullshit.

As mentioned above, the Cat Clan/Bestiality clans are pretty weird. And the -very- public/open BDSM guilds. The fact it is so easy to lie about age makes it feel creepier than usual. They could be erping with a damn 14 year old.

-------
    As a side note to Wyrmrest.
    Horde player for the most part.
    I've received whispers from WRA players giving me shit for being on Moon Guard in random dungeons, and RP events that my friends invite me to for cross realm participation.

I know the whole community isn't like that. Most of my friends moved to WRA for the RP since the Moon Guard Horde population is bleeding and many are going to WRA because of it.

But seeing people say WRA is better and that Moon Guard is bad just makes me shake my head.
    That mentality has led to pointless harassment and a weird superiority complex.
    MG elitists likely do the same to WRA players, it's an endless cycle.

The whole feud of WRA vs. MG is silly anyway. RP communities shouldn't be shitting on one another just because we're partially separated by server names.
    Almost feels like a slow-motion version of what happened to Wildstar's rp community.

I mean, roleplaying is already a silly thing people like to indulge in, so might as well have as much fun with it as possible. Personally I think it's entertaining to see how far people will take it. Like you think the writers of My Immortal didn't have fun with making it as ludicrous as possible?

Anyway, as for weird encounters, I once ran into a gnome who would trade people red ribboned gifts with Saronite Bombs inside of them. He'd then reveal he was an undercover Scourge terrorist and claim that Stormwind Park was destroyed because of him. Oh, and he put everyone he gave a gift to on ignore, which I'm guessing was meant to imply the players were dead as a part of the 'roleplaying'.

I'm pretty sure he was trolling, but it was still weird.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2018-06-30 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    I mean, roleplaying is already a silly thing people like to indulge in, so might as well have as much fun with it as possible. Personally I think it's entertaining to see how far people will take it. Like you think the writers of My Immortal didn't have fun with making it as ludicrous as possible?
    I think the usual problem is, while content like My Immortal can be considered funny and fun, it isn't forced into anyone's face.
    Some of these mary sue, over the top RPers, leap into anything purely to troll.
    Or they think they're actually being creative, and harass people for trying to ignore them.

Joke profiles are usually very obvious as well.
    But some are actually serious, mostly younger or inexperienced roleplayers trying to be as unique or progressive as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia
    --The Mary Sue/ERP/SJW crowd, god modding galore and social justice crap. (No, my troll doesn't care that you're trans. She just hates Elves.)
    Yeah, the social justice aspect of a good portion of RP, especially in RP guilds is kind of retarded where ICly racism/sexism/xenophobia/classism/etc is taken just as serious as OOCly racism/sexism/xenophobia/classism/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Yeah, also on moon guard. There's more bad than even decent, and I really don't get it. Majority of my characters have a boring ass background, I have a mage that just enjoyed studying magic in dalaran, then when shit started going crazy they went home to try to protect their family. Once things calmed down they tried to return to dalaran only to see they bubbled up. So they began searching for new places to study magic from and became an adventurer.

It's like I tell the newer people I play D&D with, "make your character believable. Put yourself in their shoes and think about if the actions you had/have them do make sense."
    I guess it doesn't help that the snowflake mentality has been on the rise.
    And Legion focused heavily on your character being the special person worthy of wielding mighty weapons and such.

I remember on Alliance MG, someone actually tried to make themselves the Ashbringer in character. Got thoroughly rejected by the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Yeah, the social justice aspect of a good portion of RP, especially in RP guilds is kind of retarded where ICly racism/sexism/xenophobia/classism/etc is taken just as serious as OOCly racism/sexism/xenophobia/classism/etc.
    Yep. It is pretty insane when politics and such leak into a fantasy video game.
    With a game that has so many races, where in the past they may have had major issues with one another, it is baffling that people get offended when a blood elf might be weary of a troll.

People just want/expect to be instantly accepted. They don't enjoy or consider the idea that they have an opportunity to slowly become part of the community in a meaningful way that develops their character.

I mean hell, there was a long time priest on Alliance who was openly undead. Took them ages, but they got accepted over time. I thought that was a cool idea, they worked that story and it developed into a good arc. Haven't been on ally in a while, not sure if they're still active.
    Last edited by Sixnalia; 2018-06-30 at 04:58 AM.

There are plenty of non absolute bad rp.

My voidelf warrior for example. Former bloodelf. Took up a farming job in the valley of the four winds. Because the size of the produce astonished him . Set down a plot where he was told not to. Grew some turnips in said plot that absorbed some sha energy. When he ate one he became tainted with the void. This turned him into his current form. Now he absolutely hates turnips. Short simple and for the most part plausible.
    The ritual finished and a demon was pulled through the void, kicking and biting, forcibly bound to the mortal world. The warlock, a quizzical expression on his face, regarded his familiar, who now quite unfamiliar, and inquired, “Who in the hell are you?”

This.

I've only really noticed this on Alliance moonguard and horde WRA, basically if your character isn't a mary sue and you piss someone off, or say something in character that makes them OOC mad, you get shit on in whispers and then ignored.
    Makes sense, largest faction populations align with it. Highest chance of those communities going there since you want a high population for RP potential.

I have seen it a couple of times on Horde MG though, but rarely. Usually it is isolated within Silvermoon City in the inns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    I think the usual problem is, while content like My Immortal can be considered funny and fun, it isn't forced into anyone's face.
    Some of these mary sue, over the top RPers, leap into anything purely to troll.
    Or they think they're actually being creative, and harass people for trying to ignore them.

Joke profiles are usually very obvious as well.
    But some are actually serious, mostly younger or inexperienced roleplayers trying to be as unique or progressive as possible.
    I'd actually like to start roleplaying again just so I can run into people who are being serious about their over the top roleplay. It kinda fascinates me and I'm really curious about how the conversation will go.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2018-06-30 at 05:09 AM.

Yep. It is pretty insane when politics and such leak into a fantasy video game.
    With a game that has so many races, where in the past they may have had major issues with one another, it is baffling that people get offended when a blood elf might be weary of a troll.

People just want/expect to be instantly accepted. They don't enjoy or consider the idea that they have an opportunity to slowly become part of the community in a meaningful way that develops their character.

I mean hell, there was a long time priest on Alliance who was openly undead. Took them ages, but they got accepted over time. I thought that was a cool idea, they worked that story and it developed into a good arc. Haven't been on ally in a while, not sure if they're still active.
    I tried to do something similar with a half-elf character I created. He was basically born of rape and pretty traumatized from a young age, spoke with a stutter and was a novice mage. The idea was to sort of develop him to a more powerful mage that would learn to accept his human and quel'dorei heritage...but it ended up being pretty boring because outside of a few people, nobody really discriminated/treated the character differently.

Maybe I'll try and do something similar with a more controversial half-breed character one day, but regardless, a lot of roleplayers really just don't care about portraying a character from a completely different culture. It's more or less just humans of a different shade...purple humans, void humans, blue humans, panda humans, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    I'd actually like to start roleplaying again just so I can run into people who are being serious about their over the top roleplay. It kinda fascinates me and I'm really curious about how the conversation will go.
    Alliance Moon Guard and head for the Cathedral Square. You'll find a couple of people that RP religious zealots.
    Be a Void Elf if you want a quick and easy confrontation.

Those types usually don't have much of a clue on how to properly write from a fanatic's PoV.
    But it usually makes for a scene and divides the groups at the Cathedral.

People enjoy the drama in Stormwind. It breaks up the monotony.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I tried to do something similar with a half-elf character I created. He was basically born of rape and pretty traumatized from a young age, spoke with a stutter and was a novice mage. The idea was to sort of develop him to a more powerful mage that would learn to accept his human and quel'dorei heritage...but it ended up being pretty boring because outside of a few people, nobody really discriminated/treated the character differently.

Maybe I'll try and do something similar with a more controversial half-breed character one day, but regardless, a lot of roleplayers really just don't care about portraying a character from a completely different culture. It's more or less just humans of a different shade...purple humans, void humans, blue humans, panda humans, etc...

Honestly, people are just afraid to discriminate these days. Because they either feel bad for being mean, they can't separate their OOC and IC. Or they do not want to have it backfire, and everyone around supports the victim of the discrimination.

Alliance Moon Guard and head for the Cathedral Square. You'll find a couple of people that RP religious zealots.
    Be a Void Elf if you want a quick and easy confrontation.

Those types usually don't have much of a clue on how to properly write from a fanatic's PoV.
    But it usually makes for a scene and divides the groups at the Cathedral.

People enjoy the drama in Stormwind. It breaks up the monotony.

Honestly, people are just afraid to discriminate these days. Because they either feel bad for being mean, they can't separate their OOC and IC. Or they do not want to have it backfire, and everyone around supports the victim of the discrimination.
    Makes sense, when I make my DID and Zandalari characters, I probably won't pull any punches when it comes to xenophobia/racism since they're naturally isolationist/xenophobic races, but I'll probably manifest them in separate ways.