How's boomkin feeling in prepatch pvp?

This is on my lists of alts to try so depending on response I'll move it up or down my list.

How's damage? Survivability? Any cool (hidden gem) talents or combos?
    Can you 1v1 a strong melee?

I can survive through a Kidney Shot on my Druid. I can't say that about many class or spec combinations, which is why I'm playing Moonkin.
    The damage is probably too strong, but I have no idea what you are "supposed" to take.

I've been playing with a standard ST build and the numbers are pretty high in bgs. Been taking Clone, Faerie Swarm and Thorns as pvp talents as all work well in most situations. Tiger Dash isnt quite as good as Displacer, but its a decent talent for catching flag carriers or running away. Self heals via Regrowth are better than they were.

They do a lot of dot damage. But even so, I dont seem to get many KBs. I can do the same thing on my Lock if not better and rack up way more KBs. 1v1 Balance is still crap. If a melee decides to focus you, you better hope that your teammates help you because youre most likely going to die. Ide rather Blizz fix the MF spam BS and give Boomkin some nice ST damage. We are no longer Boomkins, we have no boom, just spread dots. 1v1 vs Melee even most Ranged, youre prob going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    They do a lot of dot damage. But even so, I dont seem to get many KBs. I can do the same thing on my Lock if not better and rack up way more KBs. 1v1 Balance is still crap. If a melee decides to focus you, you better hope that your teammates help you because youre most likely going to die. Ide rather Blizz fix the MF spam BS and give Boomkin some nice ST damage. We are no longer Boomkins, we have no boom, just spread dots. 1v1 vs Melee even most Ranged, youre prob going to die.
    I mean the biggest issue is the amount of interrupts/CC. Trying to cast Solar Wrath (especially Lunar Strike) results in a pretty much guaranteed lockout. It'd be nice if there was a (PvP) talent that gave you bonus AsP if you recast a DoT that a target already has. Then you could actually get some Starsurges in there. Virtually no chance that Balance will get far in that Dueler's content thing I heard about.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcash80 View Post
    This is on my lists of alts to try so depending on response I'll move it up or down my list.

How's damage? Survivability? Any cool (hidden gem) talents or combos?
    Can you 1v1 a strong melee?
    Damage is okay...its not like you are going to see 15k hp glacial spike crits like frost mage. If you are left untouched you can do some serious damage, especially in larger caster groups with moonkin aura PvP talent.

Survivability is meh. Moonkin form armor reduces damage by some 38-ish % (used to be 50-55 % in legion I think) but almost everyone uses magic attacks anyway. Then there is barkskin which you just press anytime you get stunned and dont even feel it´s effect. Thorns and fearie swarm are okay, especially fearie swarm. I use thorns but I dont think it really hurts the enemy.

No cool hidden gem Im afraid. I use force of nature with fury of elune which gives me a little chance in 1v1. Moonkin is still very weak in almost any 1v1 situation, especially against melee. Its still almost impossible to get away (I cant think of any melee I could kill, 1v1 with both sides having all CDs ready). There is no oh shit button, 2-3 people focusing you = you are dead, nothing you can do. I dont think its great against caster either. Just before release they killed deep roots PvP talent which really hurt (zero control over melee, no roots+solar beam lockdown).

Moonkin got some tools to survive for a few seconds, basically you trade offensives and defensives during first maybe 10 seconds and then you die. This is why people cry its OP or whatever, but they were just used to attack moonkin and get a free kill...now they can get killed. Its super fun in BGs thats for sure.

If you haven't messed with it, our roots by default are much sturdier than prior to pre-patch. If you take Deep Roots, you can have your roots last between 50-75% of the target's HP before breaking. I've been personally going Deep Roots, Cyclone, and either Celestial Guardian or Ironfeather Armor depending upon the RBG and opposing comp. I also like going Mass Entanglement with the roots buff, as you can cause some pretty nasty situations for the opposing team. I've been able to consistently Tiger Dash + Mass Entanglement the entire opposing team before they reach the water to get Waterworks in Battle for Gilneas, works well with anytime you can separate the team from your objective.

Damage-wise, I'd say we're pretty good, if anything the problem is how strong healers can be right now. Priest I run with can consistently survive against 4-5 melee at once with no problem, same with MW monks, it's a little ridiculous. Also, some melee are pretty brutal right now, which compounds the power of some healers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    Damage is okay...its not like you are going to see 15k hp glacial spike crits like frost mage. If you are left untouched you can do some serious damage, especially in larger caster groups with moonkin aura PvP talent.

Survivability is meh. Moonkin form armor reduces damage by some 38-ish % (used to be 50-55 % in legion I think) but almost everyone uses magic attacks anyway. Then there is barkskin which you just press anytime you get stunned and dont even feel it´s effect. Thorns and fearie swarm are okay, especially fearie swarm. I use thorns but I dont think it really hurts the enemy
    I think the best we can do as Moonkin right now is either AoE pressure or burst single target windows. I like building up a full AsP bar on a healer, then roots/Solar Beam when they're roughly half health while unloading SS's into them (Deep Roots will usually allow the roots to persist until they die). If the healers stack or stand close enough, Mass Entanglement + Solar Beam still works well to force some major CD's to be used.

Yeah, I wanted Thorns to be more powerful, but I dropped it because it didn't seem to be doing much damage. Also for peeling, I've found better results with Mass Entanglement than Thorns snare.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2018-07-23 at 07:02 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

It's interesting how we all seem to be playing completely different games. I'm entirely convinced that Balance has the best damage in PvP. It has, so far, given me the best oppourtunities to 1v1 melee. It can burst down healers. Not that this is a feat, given how weak healers are right now. Still. Healers may be strong in groups of them, yes. But if you are a lone healer, all you need is one stun and you die 1v1, not even figuratively.
    And I don't get how Thorns isn't "more powerful", I can sit in bearform, spamming moonfire while a Rogue or spin-to-win kills themselves on me.

Survivability is easy #1 amongst casters.

The biggest problem with the game remains the amounts of stuns though. I thought they were gonna rein it in with BFA. This has not happened.

Balance is grossly overpowered atm (like some other specs)
    PVP is a mess overall, should wait for some much needed balance hotfixes and bugfixing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3-fw_liDs

Not really an argument but you can also have a ton of fun with that spec :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It's interesting how we all seem to be playing completely different games. I'm entirely convinced that Balance has the best damage in PvP. It has, so far, given me the best oppourtunities to 1v1 melee. It can burst down healers. Not that this is a feat, given how weak healers are right now. Still. Healers may be strong in groups of them, yes. But if you are a lone healer, all you need is one stun and you die 1v1, not even figuratively.
    And I don't get how Thorns isn't "more powerful", I can sit in bearform, spamming moonfire while a Rogue or spin-to-win kills themselves on me.

Survivability is easy #1 amongst casters.
    In terms of survivability, I'd definitely agree with how sturdy a Moonkin can be. While we have the capacity to burst down healers, it heavily depends on the class and the skill of the healer(s). Healers I normally play with can currently 1v1 many melee classes and kill them, and I mentioned in a previous post how tanky priests/MW's can be. Against Moonkin, the healer has to be moderately low on health with no CDs/trinket to burst them down. Maybe it's different in non-rated? In non-rated PvP, I can destroy most healers before they realize I'm focusing them, in rated PvP it takes a lot more setup and team play to do it. Same with Thorns: in non-rated, melee will just train you with Thorns up and kill themselves, in rated they immediately break off or CC the target until Thorns falls off before resuming (assuming it doesn't get dispelled).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

But there isn't a rated season going on, right? Aren't we between seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    But there isn't a rated season going on, right? Aren't we between seasons?
    You can actually do rated right now.
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhorn View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3-fw_liDs

Not really an argument but you can also have a ton of fun with that spec :-)
    Nice dude! Ive watched a few of your BFA dueling videos. Good stuff!

Boomkins are the GO TO CLASS

What is the proper way to burst as a moonkin? I tried it in bgs for the first time today and am still at the spam dots stage of skill. I will say, I feel a lot more sturdy as moonkin than I do as feral.
    Last edited by dwightyo39; 2018-07-24 at 03:06 AM.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I think people are seeing boomkin on top of the meters and proclaiming them to be OP, when you know that 50% of that is Moonfire/Sunfire padding.

We can focus targets down, if we're given a chance, especially with WoE, but still very easy to counter. Its a strong spec, but there are far more efficient casters out there, regarding damage to KB ratios.

Quite fun tho, a nice pace of fast casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeranath View Post
    I think people are seeing boomkin on top of the meters and proclaiming them to be OP, when you know that 50% of that is Moonfire/Sunfire padding.

We can focus targets down, if we're given a chance, especially with WoE, but still very easy to counter. Its a strong spec, but there are far more efficient casters out there, regarding damage to KB ratios.

Quite fun tho, a nice pace of fast casts.
    Yeah, in some BG's it's a lot of padding, but depending upon your comp the spread cleave can help create targets of opportunity by spreading the enemy healer's attention. At the very least, we can provide decent pressure in AoE or ST. Greatest boon probably is Cyclone and roots/Solar Beam, especially when you catch someone off guard while you have your resources built up to burst.
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Nice dude! Ive watched a few of your BFA dueling videos. Good stuff!
    Sorry, I should have mentioned they are not my videos But I agree with you this guy is awesome

Deleted
    As usual. Very strong in bgs, shit at 1v1 against melee.