Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Well that was a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, it doesn't matter what I or you or anybody else consider canon.
    Canon is what Disney considers canon.
    If in doubt whether something is or is not canon - consult Wookieepedia.
    George Lucas created StarWars he makes the choices whats canon no matter if he sold it, Disney just had the money.
    It is pretty mutch a fan buying it what makes it all fan-fiction.

If George Lucas would tomorrow think by himself F this i make episode 7 then the whole world would consider that as the real StarWars storyline.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2019-12-21 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    George Lucas created StarWars he makes the choices whats canon no matter if he sold it, Disney just had the money.
    It is pretty mutch a fan buying it what makes it all fan-fiction.

If George Lucas would tomorrow think by himself F this i make episode 7 then the whole world would consider that as the real StarWars storyline.
    He can't, Disney bought the IP legally from him, Disney owns it now. He'd get sued, and lose. Disney says what's canon and not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Also do people think 1 is really worse than 2? I mean its more worthless in terms of adding to the franchise, but the clone wars is so mind numbingly horrendous.
    2 is the second worst after TLJ no doubt. There were apparently massive rewrites which caused a very rushed shooting schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    He can't, Disney bought the IP legally from him, Disney owns it now. He'd get sued, and lose. Disney says what's canon and not now.
    For you this is the case, if George Lucas says that Anakin was the chosen one then that is canon for me, even when Disney tells that its Rey.
    You see the difference? you follow the IP owner and the money, i myself follow the creator and the creative mind behind StarWars.

So its up to yourself what you like to follow.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    For you this is the case, if George Lucas says that Anakin was the chosen one then that is canon for me, even when Disney tells that its Rey.
    You see the difference? you follow the IP owner and the money, i myself follow the creator and the creative mind behind StarWars.

So its up to yourself what you like to follow.
    That's not how it works, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She literally says, "You're dangerous, and not what we need right now. Go to your post, follow orders." She definitely says nothing about him needing to have hope. Hell, giving him the plan would actually give him hope.

You're deliberately trying to twist her words to mean something else. As for what happened later? It should be over when she commands him to just stand down and follow orders. But fine, let's scrub forward to their other interaction:

Poe (storming the bridge): "She in there?"
    Random Commander lady: "The Admiral has banned you from the bridge. Let's not have a scene."
    P: "Naw, let's........(yelling towards Holdo) "....Holdo!"
    H: "Flyboy."
    P: "Cut it lady [my note: she's his fucking military superior. Most people would be thrown in the brig for this]. We had a fleet, now we're down to one ship and you've told us nothing! Tell us that we have a plan! That there's hope!"
    H: "When I served under Leia, she would say, 'Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you see it..."
    P: "...you'll never make it through the night."
    H: "Yes."
    (pause)
    P (looking to a screen): "Are you fueling up the transports?"
    H: (silence)
    P: "You are. All of them? We'e abandoning ship, is that you got, that's what you brought us to?" (starts throwing a tantrum, officers move to arrest him, Holdo holds them back.) "Coward! Those transport ships are unarmed, unshielded. We abandon this cruiser, we are done, we don't stand a chance. No, not just a coward, you are a traitor!"
    H: "Get this man off my bridge."

He literally asks her for hope. She says hope is a matter of faith, if he wants to have hope, he has to have faith. She doesn't say "I'm not telling you because you need to have hope!" He's the one with a need for hope, and she's saying to him "It's need-to-know, and you should trust in your superiors."

Again, this is a fairly standard reading of it. You'd have to have, dare I say it, a biased viewpoint to argue she's saying "I can't tell you because you need hope!" when the scene is literally saying, "Hey, we'd have more hope if we knew the plan!"
    There is literally no military in the world where Holdo's actions would fly. You don't just expect people to follow orders when you are vastly outnumbered that's when you draw together as a group. You expect people to follow order or die when you are the side with overwhelming force and every member doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    Yeah it's like there was an awakening of the Force or something since then. But we'd know about it wouldn't we? /s
    It's almost like that a stupid thing put down to excuse bad writing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Rian is a lifelong SW fan who pulled Force Projection out from the fucking extended materials. He became a rather good filmmaker, but definitely not in the space opera genre, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a Star Wars fan. From Rian Johnson himself:

Ackbar is literally a character (in the movie universe) known for the battle of Endor, where he says an iconic line after some less memorable ones before that. If you put him in Holdo's role, he serves the same purpose as Holdo for casual fans who won't remember him from the OT, and you run the risk of making him seem stupid to hardcore fans who've read books about him, especially since he served on the same ship as Poe, and Holdo didn't.
    Lets the past die kill it if you have to. Definitely was a huge fan that made the garbage character Jake Skywalker /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    That's not what a Mary Sue is.
    Constantly liked by everyone. Suffers no true setbacks or they are temporary at most. Displays knowledge and aptitude far beyond level of experience. IS LITERALLY THE CHOSEN ONE. Yes she's a mary sue.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Constantly liked by everyone. Suffers no true setbacks or they are temporary at most. Displays knowledge and aptitude far beyond level of experience. IS LITERALLY THE CHOSEN ONE. Yes she's a mary sue.
    She is constantly liked by everyone ... that is false. Han didn't trust her when they first met, he grew to like her when he saw her knowledge. And any trust before he liked her was more out of his loyalty/caring of Leia then anything Rey did.
    So like most Star Wars Protagonists ... you know Star Wars where losing a limb is a temporary set back.
    So like Luke does and Anakin does in the PT ... nothing new, move along. If you are talking about flying the Falcon, that is literally so much bs that I can't be bothered to do anything more than laugh at it.
    Is she ever addressed as the Chosen One? No, stop making shit up. Even if you argue, Luke was a Chosen One and so was Anakin.

Honestly, the Mary Sue complaint is nonsense at best and an outright lie at best.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

One thought just came to mind. How could Kylo-ren think he had been talking to Vader when I'm sure he knows Vader redeemed himself by killing Sidious at the end of Return of the Jedi? Is this a case of Kylo-ren somehow not knowing that, it couldn't be the case, right? Luke had to have told Ben Vader turned back to the light side. So is Kylo-ren just stupid that he thought he was talking to Vader through Vader's helmet when Vader technically no longer existed?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    One thought just came to mind. How could Kylo-ren think he had been talking to Vader when I'm sure he knows Vader redeemed himself by killing Sidious at the end of Return of the Jedi? Is this a case of Kylo-ren somehow not knowing that, it couldn't be the case, right? Luke had to have told Ben Vader turned back to the light side. So is Kylo-ren just stupid that he thought he was talking to Vader through Vader's helmet when Vader technically no longer existed?
    They’ll likely flesh it out in the new rise of kylo ren comic series they started on Wednesday. Pretty pointless series with how they threw kylo away but it seems to be there to explain things like how the first issue covers the Jedi temple being destroyed.

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/u...173812266.html

Quote Originally Posted by J.J. Abrams
    Of course I've shown it at a friends and family screening, but we've never done like a test screening

LMFAO they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper in their pit of lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    They’ll likely flesh it out in the new rise of kylo ren comic series they started on Wednesday. Pretty pointless series with how they threw kylo away but it seems to be there to explain things like how the first issue covers the Jedi temple being destroyed.
    Will be really interested to see how they justify that and his thought process of speaking with whom he thought was his grandfather who had turned away from the dark side of the force just before dying, had seen by Luke as a Force Ghost, and here he was trying to "honor his legacy" by subjugating the universe to a new empiric rule.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    That's not how it works, sorry.
    That's exactly how it works. Do you think in a few decades, people will care about anything Star Wars related that wasn't created by Lucas, its original maker?
    Usually when it comes to fictional literature, the matter of canonicity is decided based on who's the creator of the piece of fiction and everything made by any other writer who adds to the setting is usually non-canonical.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/u...173812266.html

LMFAO they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper in their pit of lies.
    At this point, he'll just make excuses to save face and try to maintain his reputation regardless of whether or not the movie financially under-performs, which isn't likely. But I don't see Disney hiring him for another Star Wars anyway, he seems more interested in spearheading a new Superman movie and new DC movies for WB, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Well that was a disappointment.
    why? care to elaborate or just mirror someone else's opinion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    God damn that was just.... pretty bad...
    same question to you
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Will be really interested to see how they justify that and his thought process of speaking with whom he thought was his grandfather who had turned away from the dark side of the force just before dying, had seen by Luke as a Force Ghost, and here he was trying to "honor his legacy" by subjugating the universe to a new empiric rule.
    If I had to guess it’s likely gonna be a fake force ghost of some kind then he’ll just say like lied to him or something.

A really bad movie
    9/10 art and scenario
    2/10 acting
    1/10 plot
    2/10 star wars lore points
    7/10 humor
    2/10 action and coreography

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    That's exactly how it works. Do you think in a few decades, people will care about anything Star Wars related that wasn't created by Lucas, its original maker?
    Usually when it comes to fictional literature, the matter of canonicity is decided based on who's the creator of the piece of fiction and everything made by any other writer who adds to the setting is usually non-canonical.
    ever heard of star trek?
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Edgy teen hears his grandfather's distinctive voice, thinks it's his grandfather. Master manipulator manipulates child. It's not actually a logical sticking point in a film that was stuffed with them.

You honestly think a young boy would trust the account of his boring goody uncle over the magical voice of the galaxy's preeminent badass? That voice almost certainly saying things he wants to hear?