Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    I doubt he would have finished training her if she was rejecting his teachings. He believed in the code which means any force user not following it would be in danger of going rogue and falling to the dark side. This seems like a mighty fine hair to try splitting.
    I mean, Jedi are celibate (at least in the prequels, don't know if Luke was following this, but there's no hint of any romantic entanglement for him), and Leia very obviously didn't adhere to that. She married Han, and had Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    So if Darth Maul lives, and Qui-gon kills Palpy, Qui-gon becomes the new Sith Master and Maul is his apprentice? I can't tell even begin to count on how many levels that makes no sense.
    Maybe? Perhaps the transfer requires some sort of bond to start with, be it familial or such as that between a student and teacher.

Would it really even be Qui-gon though if he were possessed, or would it be Darth Bane?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, Jedi are celibate (at least in the prequels, don't know if Luke was following this, but there's no hint of any romantic entanglement for him), and Leia very obviously didn't adhere to that. She married Han, and had Ben.
    This is one of those fine points I'm not so clear on. They're not allowed romantic attachment, but that is not the same as being celibate at all. Also, a lot changed about the order after it fell. Not sure the prohibition against attachment still stands. It was attachment which Luke depended on, which saved both he and his father.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She was already married and had a child when she was being trained so presumably like the EU that was one of the reforms Luke made to the Jedi Order.

At the same time, there's no Mara Jade in the new sequels, so we don't really know if Luke was adhering to the principle of no romantic attachments, or if he just never found the right person for him.

But there's also the original Jedi texts which are on Luke's island to begin with. Again, never really explained what was in there, but iirc, they were before the Old Republic, and were more philosophical and not really rules like "Though shalt not get laid." But maybe there was something from there he was drawing on.

So looks like I'll be watching this on Friday. lol Why? My niece wants to see it, and I can't say no to her. Eh, at least one day I can say "yeah... I saw it in theaters." At least I can always proudly say I watched Revenge of the Sith in theaters.

Too bad Yoda and Ben didn't tell Luke about the hereditary loop hole where you can take over your family member's body if you die. Basically the person who gets killed wins 'cause they just take over their family member's body.
    Given that Jedi didn't have families, it's reasonable that they wouldn't know about it. Given that Jedi didn't study the darkest arts of the Sith, it's reasonable that they didn't know about it. Given that it didn't exist within the setting when the characters were still around, it's reasonable that they didn't know about it.

I'm just giving you what I was able to interpret based on what I saw. The movie was not well written, and you've already pointed out several of the problems. Having had a week to reflect on the content, I think it's not worth the mental gymnastics required to make it into some sensible plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I thought it was fine as a popcorn flick. I mean, you have to be able to ignore the absurdity of someone standing on the surface of a star destroyer shooting a bow and arrow, but if you can do that it’s entertaining.
    Don’t understand how ppl can do that.
    Maybe it is just me but I can’t switch off my brain when I watch a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Given that Jedi didn't have families, it's reasonable that they wouldn't know about it. Given that Jedi didn't study the darkest arts of the Sith, it's reasonable that they didn't know about it. Given that it didn't exist within the setting when the characters were still around, it's reasonable that they didn't know about it.

I'm just giving you what I was able to interpret based on what I saw. The movie was not well written, and you've already pointed out several of the problems. Having had a week to reflect on the content, I think it's not worth the mental gymnastics required to make it into some sensible plot.
    That's basically my view on it. Some of the mental gymnastics aren't necessary for me. It's fantasy, some of the stuff won't make much sense. I really enjoyed RoS, so I just accept some of the stuff didn't make sense and move on.

I get caught up on some of these comments however, because I see folks doing mental gymnastics to make stuff work, and I have more problems with the gymnastics then what actually happened in the film. I tend to go for the simplest answer I can think of. So for me I justify what Palpatine said as bluffing. To me that makes more sense than the stuff he said actually happening. "if you kill me you'll turn bad" or "if you kill me I'll get you". Neither of those outcomes seem likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Don’t understand how ppl can do that.
    Maybe it is just me but I can’t switch off my brain when I watch a movie.
    People have been doing that since A New Hope, 42 years ago, so it might be just you. Lots of stuff in all 9 of the movies didn't make a lot of sense. It's fantasy, so we accept it for what it is and enjoy it.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

What I would have done to save the ending is pull a Zuko.
    They could have revealed to Rey through the force that though Palpatine was her grandfather on her mother's side, on her father's side her grandfather was a Skywalker. Then it would give sense she'd find motivation to fight back and take on the name.

As it stands, it was pretty dumb and didn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Finn had a story arc going for him at the very beginning of the movie in TFA and he felt like the main character up until Rey grabbed Anakins saber with the force. .
    Finn is one of the biggest letdowns in TFA. Being a Stormtrooper there was a while different world and complexity and depth that could have been explored but that was all thrown out nearly instantly.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2019-12-25 at 09:39 AM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    You are trying so hard for something to be upset about. It's explicitly clear that Luke trained Leia from RoS. Whether or not Leia became a Jedi doesn't mean she can't train Rey in force techniques. Luke didn't become a Jedi until the end of RotJ, when he faced Vader. But that doesn't discount all his training.

So, since we know Luke trained Leia on force techniques, it follows that Leia would have taught Rey those techniques. Jedi title or no, that part is irrelevant. At the very least, Rey learning those techniques is consistent with the story, so if your only problem is where did she learn the things, you have a plausible answer right in front of you, and there's nothing in any of the movies that said it couldn't happen.
    Seems pretty clear Leia is as good or better than Luke...which kinda defeats the purpose of trying to track down Luke as the savior when Leia was there the whole time. If all it took was on Jedi to turn everything around then Leia was there the whole time.

Just another asspull in a mountain of asspulls and stupid shit that is the Disney Trilogy.

People have been doing that since A New Hope, 42 years ago, so it might be just you. Lots of stuff in all 9 of the movies didn't make a lot of sense. It's fantasy, so we accept it for what it is and enjoy it.
    That depends, i can beleave that magic, the matrix, the force or something like that can happen in a fantasy universe when it is explained and set up but it needs to have some rules otherwise you will enter the dragonball effect and the story will be something a 8 year old comes up with when he plays with his action figures.
    That is why in a new hope the biggest thing force-wise we see is like Vader choke a officer. (we are right now btw on a level of force lightning a fleet of starships dont know if you can see a power difference between these two things?)

But when you break things like space, gravity, ghosts (afterlife) or heck even change magic use from everything that came before then it either needs explaining or else it will break stuff to a level of unbeleave. For example when you introduce force healing you need to explain a thing or two, if Rey would be able to fly next episode and have the ability to force crush a planet then you need to set it up not just put it in and expect me to go along with it just because it looks cool. And also as an creator you need to understand if you make Rey able to crush a planet that all that came before her look pretty weak when some of them had a 700 year training period.

When Leia can just force pull in space, a bommer can just open the hanger doors into space and Rey jumping into space to enter the millennium falcon then my mind starts to counter that with, why do these spaceships even have cockpits when space rules dont apply in Disney StarWars and clearly the space rules did apply in the George Lucas StarWars universe so what changed?

Force ghosts worked in episode 4-5-6 because they could give advice and help the living out and only those that trained themselfs could return. When Disney is making force ghosts being able to shoot lightningbolts and interact with objects in the real world then that will create a problem. Because in fact Luke could had have been fighting Palpatine in rise of skywalker when he can still handle his lightsaber but i guess he still is a coward.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2019-12-25 at 10:31 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That depends, i can beleave that magic, the matrix, the force or something like that can happen in a fantasy universe when it is explained and set up but it needs to have some rules otherwise you will enter the dragonball effect and the story will be something a 8 year old comes up with when he plays with his action figures.
    The Force is explained. There's literally no Force ability that is not explained by the Force. So you should believe it.

That is why in a new hope the biggest thing force-wise we see is like Vader choke a officer.
    And it wasn't explained in that movie, the Force was a myth for all we knew back then.

(we are right now btw on a level of force lightning a fleet of starships dont know if you can see a power difference between these two things?)
    That was explained in Episode 5. And then reiterated in episode 8.
    All that is within the rules of the Force.

But when you break things like space, gravity, ghosts (afterlife) or heck even change magic use from everything that came before then it either needs explaining or else it will break stuff to a level of unbeleave. For example when you introduce force healing you need to explain a thing or two,
    Do you really need an explanation of how Force can heal? it's the fucking Force. It can do anything. It is literally in everything. It is everything in SW universe.
    if Rey would be able to fly next episode and have the ability to force crush a planet then you need to set it up not just put it in and expect me to go along with it just because it looks cool. And also as an creator you need to understand if you make Rey able to crush a planet that all that came before her look pretty weak when some of them had a 700 year training period.
    I don't remember Rey flying or crushing a planet... please leave the strawman alone, it is tired.
    When Leia can just force pull in space, a bommer can just open the hanger doors into space and Rey jumping into space to enter the millennium falcon then my mind starts to counter that with, why do these spaceships even have cockpits when space rules dont apply in Disney StarWars and clearly the space rules did apply in the George Lucas StarWars universe so what changed?
    Nothing has changed, the rules are the same. They need cockpits because there's no air in space. Leia could use the Force hence she did it to survive. Force can heal, Force can protect, Force can sustain. Even in space. Also, force fields in hangars were a thing back in Episode 4.
    Force ghosts worked in episode 4-5-6 because they could give advice and help the living out and only those that trained themselfs could return. When Disney is making force ghosts being able to shoot lightningbolts and interact with objects in the real world then that will create a problem. Because in fact Luke could had have been fighting Palpatine in rise of skywalker when he can still handle his lightsaber but i guess he still is a coward.
    Force ghosts, are FORCE ghosts. Force can do anything. The yare not really ghosts, you know, they became ONE WITH THE FORCE. And Force can do anything.
    I am really baffled that you need all of this explained.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

5+ Year Old Account
    Movie flopped in china, they don't know the original trilogy, so the positive about, that they don't let vanilla be a crutch, they see jar jar abrams movie on its own merit, that it's not very good.

Doubt I'd care a lot too about star wars without vanilla...

So without the original trilogy the franchise is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Leia could use the Force hence she did it to survive. Force can heal, Force can protect, Force can sustain. Even in space.
    If I had to pinpoint the moment Star Wars truly died, it was that scene. Quite possibly the most retarded scene in all of Star Wars. Mary Poppins in space.

My quick summary and feelings from the movie right after I had seen it on premiere, it haven't changed much after all this time:

Just finished Star Wars Episode 9: The Apology
    Or Star Wars Episode 9: Please Forgive Us?
    Or Star Wars Episode 9: Look We Did Everything You Asked Please Accept Pandering
    It felt like they tried to rush 2-3 movies worth of material into one movie
    Because first two movies in the new trilogy are worthless
    So it was paced like constant plot action sequence after plot action sequence
    Not a single moment to breath
    Or let the story build itself
    And since there was no real previous investment in characters because of how bad the first two movies were it was pretty distanced. The chemistry between them felt great for first time in entire trilogy but there was very little to root for because we're supposed to believe the former adventures made them friends like these
    5.5/10 - It tried
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The Force is explained. There's literally no Force ability that is not explained by the Force. So you should believe it.

And it wasn't explained in that movie, the Force was a myth for all we knew back then.

That was explained in Episode 5. And then reiterated in episode 8.
    All that is within the rules of the Force.

Do you really need an explanation of how Force can heal? it's the fucking Force. It can do anything. It is literally in everything. It is everything in SW universe.

I don't remember Rey flying or crushing a planet... please leave the strawman alone, it is tired.

Nothing has changed, the rules are the same. They need cockpits because there's no air in space. Leia could use the Force hence she did it to survive. Force can heal, Force can protect, Force can sustain. Even in space. Also, force fields in hangars were a thing back in Episode 4.

Force ghosts, are FORCE ghosts. Force can do anything. The yare not really ghosts, you know, they became ONE WITH THE FORCE. And Force can do anything.
    I am really baffled that you need all of this explained.
    And i'm really baffled you accept the "Force" as a plot device in order to gobble up anything a bad scriptwriter adheres to it. Even Lucas didn't do that.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Seems pretty clear Leia is as good or better than Luke...which kinda defeats the purpose of trying to track down Luke as the savior when Leia was there the whole time. If all it took was on Jedi to turn everything around then Leia was there the whole time.

Just another asspull in a mountain of asspulls and stupid shit that is the Disney Trilogy.
    Wait what? How do you get the Leia is on par with Luke? The only thing she did was pull herself back to a ship and rich out to Kylo, basic stuff. And the latter killed her even though Jedi can reach out to others all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    And i'm really baffled you accept the "Force" as a plot device in order to gobble up anything a bad scriptwriter adheres to it. Even Lucas didn't do that.
    You know you're watching SW, right? The same franchise where spaceflight fly like airplanes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    So if Darth Maul had died instead of being mutilated, Obi Wan would have become a Sith. He tried to kill him, and thought he did kill him, but because he lived, Obi Wan gets to be a Jedi. Same thing with Mace Windu. Anakin actually says, "It's not the Jedi way!" before Mace raises his light saber in anger to kill Palpatine.

If this whole "kill in anger turns you into a Sith" thing were real, it seems confusing the number of Jedi who get angry and get into light saber fights with Sith.

And it's only killing Sith that seems to affect you in this way. Jedi kill tons of other random guys in anger throughout the movies and they're fine.
    Star Wars has always had a bizarre morality to say the least, and it falls prey to the same old trope where faceless nobodies are a moral blank zone and killing them en masse in no way affects the hero's psyche or morality.

The games are even worse about it. In KOTOR or The Force Unleashed or SWTOR or what have you, you can be a Jedi mowing down hundreds of mooks with no repercussions whatsoever, but trying to actually kill the villain directing them gives you bad guy points.