Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Oh yeah, the repairs Han and Chewie make certainly works, isn'it ?

Besides, here is the cold hard truth of SW. If you left in a room a technician that trained for 4 years at space community college as a mechanic and did 20 years in the space military vs. a 14 years old Jedi traine with a bunch of spare parts and instructions to build X device, guess which one will do it first ? Same for every task.
    Yeah, the person with experience would do it first. Every other "jedi makes improbable repairs" story that I know of has said jedi actually having a background in repairing things.

But hey, you still can't point out any flaws, because she has none. because mary sue's are boring fucking bullshit characters. I'm done discussing with you, troll.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    So... thoughts.

- "The Rise of Skywalker" refers not to Rey, but to a post-Jedi Force Wielder group she'll start by movie's end, that'll be a bit more "Grey Jedi". More generally, a clean break from a troubled past. She's the Last Jedi, and also the "First Skywalker".

--snip

If JJ Abrams were a brave director, he'd have Rey snap her lightsaber in half and throw it in the ocean, because Luke fundamentally was correct: the Galaxy was better off without Jedi or Sith.
    Might refer to Kylo.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Actually I'd imagine years of living in a junkyard, maintaining a home inside a ruined AT-AT, and searching wrecked star destroyers for components (and knowing which components are the ones you want) would help someone with doing repairs on the Millenium Falcon.

Also maybe I'm crazy, but I don't know why we ever assumed Chewbacca (who did almost every repair we ever saw) was good at it. He's a wookie. He lives in trees on a forest planet that is less technologically advanced than the rest of the galaxy.

In fact, didn't he set the Falcon on fire once when doing repairs?

I guess my point is that what she did in that instance isn't that far-fetched.
    Sadly, per Star Wars, they invented entire species ''characterizations'' to answer the movies (ergo, the famous ''Bothan spies'' : Bothans are spies). Chewie repairs the Falcon and is normal to have aboard the Death Star for the ''prison break'' sequence ? Wookies are master workers and are used to build the DS.

And as you say, it's obvious Chewie is not very good at repairing the Falcon.

If JJ Abrams were a brave director, he'd have Rey snap her lightsaber in half and throw it in the ocean
    Not even that. Rey shouldn't be using that lightsaber at all. It's almost like she's not going to make her own.

Yes it's just a teaser, but Luke completes his new lightsaber in the first scene of ROTJ. Is it really that important to be subversive to just use the same lightsaber three movies in a row? How monumentally boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Might refer to Kylo.
    Kylo is Han Solo's son not Luke's. But it would not surprise me that they pull a retcon within the trilogy and make Rey Luke's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Kylo is Han Solo's son not Luke's. But it would not surprise me that they pull a retcon within the trilogy and make Rey Luke's daughter.
    Yeah, but he obviously has Skywalker blood since he's Leia's son after all. I do agree it wouldn't surprise me either, it's likely even. Maybe they'll state that Snoke was lying, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Luke completes his new lightsaber in the first scene of ROTJ. Is it really that important to be subversive to just use the same lightsaber three movies in a row? How monumentally boring.
    huh? There is no scene in that movie of Luke building a lightsaber. Vader comments on it when they capture him, but they don't make a big deal out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    If it was the name of a new order it would be plural. Unless we're now dealing with an Avatar situation and Rey is the next in the chain of Anakin Skywalker's reincarnations.
    My point is the use of the word would be ambiguously pluralized, like Jedi and Sith are despite not being real words.

Why not pluralize Skywalker with an s? Because it eould sound dumb and blatantly give away the premise. Same if they used any other other fake or new name for the new order of Jedi.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-04-13 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    'OMG Rey is good at everything' in reference to the same movie where Kylo sweet talked her into a trap very reminiscent of RotJs throne room scene.
    Did he? The encounter ended with the details of her own vision fulfilled, from a certain point of view.

At the end of the movie she is running off with her tail between her legs...but they say Rey always wins...
    Well... she had him at a standstill in a force battle, then woke up first and could have killed him in his sleep if she wanted to. That's not exactly running off with her tail between her legs, that's someone with more important places to be.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    huh? There is no scene in that movie of Luke building a lightsaber. Vader comments on it when they capture him, but they don't make a big deal out of it.
    Nope he's right. It's an awesome scene albeit deleted, enjoy:

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    My point is the use of the word would be ambiguously pluralized, like Jedi and Sith are despite not being real words.
    But we already know the plural of Skywalker is Skywalkers. Making Skywalker ambiguously plural in-universe so it works as misdirection for the title of the film to refer to a group is a bit too many ridiculous hoops to jump through.

It’s not in the theatrical release, but the scene was filmed.

https://youtu.be/_ayT0EZwbks

Might refer to Kylo.
    It might, but I don't think it does. I think "redeeming Kylo Renn" is so glaringly something to avoid, that even JJ Abrams will stear clear of it. He killed Han Solo, his father and one of the most significant film characters in the last 50 years, for crying out loud. There's no recovery from that.

I think Kylo Renn dies a bad death. I think in the last moment he feels deep regret at the horror his life became and all the wrong choices he made, but he's basically put down like a dog. There won't be redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Risky retcon: Kylo is Luke's, and that's why he's so mad at him.

Hey we've had a decade of GoT normalizing incest, it might fly with audiences.

It might, but I don't think it does. I think "redeeming Kylo Renn" is so glaringly something to avoid, that even JJ Abrams will stear clear of it. He killed Han Solo, his father and one of the most significant film characters in the last 50 years, for crying out loud. There's no recovery from that.

I think Kylo Renn dies a bad death. I think in the last moment he feels deep regret at the horror his life became and all the wrong choices he made, but he's basically put down like a dog. There won't be redemption.
    I hope so! Although I hope he dies without regretting embracing the dark side. A main character going full dark side without bouncing back hasn't been a thing yet I think, which is weird all things considered.

Nope he's right. It's an awesome scene albeit deleted
    So pivotal to the story that it was...deleted. Hell, that scene isn't necessarily him building it, but could just as easily be him doing some maintenance before giving it to R2. Would have been pretty embarrassing for him to catch the thing on the barge and it didn't work when he tried to light it.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-04-13 at 04:02 AM.

Risky retcon: Kylo is Luke's, and that's why he's so mad at him.

Hey we've had a decade of GoT normalizing incest, it might fly with audiences.
    That would be weird lol. For some reason I've come to accept Cersei and Jamie as normal, but Luke and Leia it's just nope inside my head.

After the huge outcry over trying to shift the focus away from the Skywalker family (which was the whole point of Star Wars to begin with) in order to make all little kids believe they could be special little Jedi regardless of not being a Skywalker, this reeks of desperate fan service. Like, "let's resurrect Anakin" level, or "Luke goes to the dark." Though realistically, it'll most likely be Kyro Ren going to the light side since they're really good at copying the story pace of the original movies.

So pivotal to the story that it was...deleted.
    Point is? The fact of the matter is that it exists, it's also included in the novelization too, so.

Check out the continuity section, point 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did he? The encounter ended with the details of her own vision fulfilled, from a certain point of view.
    He played with her naive nature and insecurities to get her to sympathize him. He made it look like he was weak and a victim. A victim of look and a victim of Snoke but if given the chance he could be good. Rey believed she could save Kylo. He was playing with Snoke at the same time. If she had some sense she would've killed Kylo right when she had the chance, she was too naive to do so.

Well... she had him at a standstill in a force battle, then woke up first and could have killed him in his sleep if she wanted to. That's not exactly running off with her tail between her legs, that's someone with more important places to be.
    The end of the movie

At the end of the movie Luke was dead, most of the Resistance was dead, the First Order was still free to pillage whatever it wanted to (in perhaps more dangerous hands than Snoke. Hux and Kylo are inexperienced chaos), and all they had to show for it was a couple of books. As outside viewers we know things are going to be alright in the end but things were pretty grim for the actual heroes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive