Poll: Is it right to shoot a bear that is attacking you in its territory?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm sure there's some natural predator by you that you need to watch out for. Bears are commonplace in the Pacific Northwest, I came across black bear scat on a hike in Portland a couple of weeks ago.
    Assuming nothing escaped from the zoo 7 miles from my home, literally the most dangerous animal where I live would be like, a large dog. There are no bears, mountain lions, etc in this area. Guy across the street from me owns a peanut butter-colored pit bull, which initially gave me pause. But as it turns out, she's just about the sweetest dog I've ever seen.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    No. But humans are racists and believe their lives is more valuable than that of animals and plants. That we have a tourism for the last few places were animals live in natural environment is cynical enough.

it's right to shoot anything that is attacking you. fuck territory.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I am sympathetic to the situation the bear was put in, it would not be right to simply let a person die. In the event of a bear mauling someone, it is clearly a case of self (or other) defense, even if it is in the bear's territory. Obviously, it would have been better to simply prevent the attack all together though.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. There should be certain areas of the world reserved for endangered wildlife and if you choose to go there, you should accept the risks. If a wild animal however comes into a area where humans are normally going to be outside of a wildlife preserve, then that is different. However, those who need to work in those reserved areas, of course should have the right to defend themselves with firearms.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Me Vs a Bear is survival of the fittest, location doesn't matter.

If I'm not prepared, I'm bear-chow.

I have a gun? Welp, that's a lot of meat and a new rug/blanket.
    If you claim to support the second amendment, and have to qualify it with preconditions, you don't support the second amendment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    A new incident is sparking outrage around the world, that revolves around a Polar Bear being shot for attempting to eat a cruise ship employee. The most obvious criticism is that they shouldn't have been in the Polar Bear's territory, but does that mean they should have allowed their fellow employee to be eaten by the bear?

Do bears and humans have equal rights? Some might see this like a burglar breaking into your house, and if you were a bear the most logical thing to do to a burglar would be to eat it. Of course, if you believe humans have superior rights to bears, then this argument, and the arguments of the PETA crowd in general, sound ludicrous.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polar-b...ay-2018-07-30/
    The bear attacked, defense is needed. That is how it is. The human race is still the higher up on the chain. Now, if the bear was shot for no actual reason, then I would've gotten angry.

And you can't, even though how some claim it, you can't compare an animal with a human as we speak. This doesn't mean you can shoot the burglar, nor does it mean it is okay to shoot a bear unless it is a necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

And if we are to go to the level of 'equal rights' between a bear and a human, then I can write it up differently.

Human pack arrives on bear's territory. Bear attacks pack for defending its own territory. Bear loses battle against the pack. Common thing in nature, bears lose and gain territories from other animals too. Humans are just more prepared.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Grizzly bear in the woods, yes. Polar bear on an island that you can see from a mile away, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Bear: "What the hell, I can see food up there but I can't reach it."

The Food: "OMG look it's so majestic!"
    Hahahaha, yeah it's just amazzing, I thought while watching this that bear looks a bit thin, I don't know if it's just part of their cycle or if it's still a juvenile I am not sure how Majestic I'd feel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Reason for the outrage is because polar bear population is decreasing and they did - well, that. I wouldn't feel sorry for the guy if he was eaten by bear. In general, I am not sorry for stupid people.
    Human beings by default are stupid, that's how we roll, it isn't our instincts that get us in trouble nearly as much as our choices, and if our stupidity were the measure, there would be almost not need for first responders at all.

These people were stupid, as to whether or not they deserve to die or should be forced to forfeit their lives, that might be a bit more harsh.

But as I said, they DID create the conditions in the first place where they would need to battle for the lives, I am not a believer that should be glossed over at all. This wasn't an accident, this wasn't a oops.

They should have to pay for it, a lot, and be barred from coming back less prison time or maybe both under the right conditions.

The polar bear has no power in this circumstance, it was just doing what it does.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Does this mean you are planning to fight against a bear?

Its ineffective.

You guys remind me of the biggest bear to have ever lived; (now extinct)

Short-faced bear
    (arctotherium)

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The bear attacked, defense is needed. That is how it is. The human race is still the higher up on the chain. Now, if the bear was shot for no actual reason, then I would've gotten angry.

And you can't, even though how some claim it, you can't compare an animal with a human as we speak. This doesn't mean you can shoot the burglar, nor does it mean it is okay to shoot a bear unless it is a necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

And if we are to go to the level of 'equal rights' between a bear and a human, then I can write it up differently.

Human pack arrives on bear's territory. Bear attacks pack for defending its own territory. Bear loses battle against the pack. Common thing in nature, bears lose and gain territories from other animals too. Humans are just more prepared.
    So if a huge alien warship appeared above where you live, say they are a few million years more advanced than humans, and they came down and asked you to make a compelling reason on the spot for why they shouldn't wipe out the human race, would you be able to give them an answer? Keep in mind that for an alien species that has been travelling the galaxy for millions of years, all of human progress would probably appear less significant to them then the difference in progress between humans and bears.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I remember that documentary, Grizzly Man. Boy, that guy could've used a gun.

But most states don't let you carry concealed in a bar.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You can believe humans have more rights than bears but also think we shouldn't go around killing bears in their own territory. There's no contradiction. Do I think it was okay to shoot the bear in this particular situation, or any situation where it's attacking a human? Of course. I also think they shouldn't put themselves in that situation in the first place though.
    See, you think the bears have territory over humans, but you're wrong. We are the second most deadliest thing in the world right now, with bacteriophage being #1. So as a bear if you see a human, you better run. Death is certain if you attack a human. So in that regard, bears are in our territory.

You can debate if we're in their territory or not, plenty of humans are going to just kill it in self defense.
    Your thought experiment is utter shit and doesn't reflect the actual debate.
    Sorry, you died. By not choosing one of the three given multiple choice answers, you are already polar-bear food. Darwin is proud of you. If this were Dark Souls, you'd be saying, "Thank you Dark Souls".

I know what the debate is, but try to imagine yourself in that persons shoes. I'm sure that you'll not only be yelling to "kill it hurt it", but you'll also be grabbing the rifle to fire the first shot. You have a very hungry and angry Polar Bear attacking you. You're not going to sit there and debate if you're in its territory. Shot first, reflect on your actions later.

A new incident is sparking outrage around the world, that revolves around a Polar Bear being shot for attempting to eat a cruise ship employee. The most obvious criticism is that they shouldn't have been in the Polar Bear's territory, but does that mean they should have allowed their fellow employee to be eaten by the bear?

Do bears and humans have equal rights? Some might see this like a burglar breaking into your house, and if you were a bear the most logical thing to do to a burglar would be to eat it. Of course, if you believe humans have superior rights to bears, then this argument, and the arguments of the PETA crowd in general, sound ludicrous.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polar-b...ay-2018-07-30/
    Is it right for the bear to attack you if it feels threatened by you outside of its territory? It's kill or be killed in those situations, obviously it's right. They shouldn't have been there to begin with, but letting the bear kill them would be fucking ridiculous.

Do bears and humans have equal rights? Is this even a fucking question? God damn.

No, this employee should let the bear eat him.

There are 6 billions useless people, but only thousands of soon extinct bears.
    Bear has more rights to live.

i mean, the wild is everyone's territory. out there, you're just another animal, and every animal has to defend itself when it's attacked.

so yeah, i believe it is right to defend yourself. now, should you be out there provoking shit at all? nah, we've got our habitats.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcho View Post
    But most states don't let you carry concealed in a bar.
    Not true.

And even that chart needs to be updated. You can carry concealed or open, a loaded firearm into bars in Ohio now.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Do bears and humans have equal rights?
    No
    Full disclosure: I'd shoot that bear under any legal circumstances, attacking someone or not.

I think a polar bear rug would look nice on my wooden floor and the meat would last me for months.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself