Help Me with Island Expeditions

I'm an old guy who played a lot in BC and quit toward the end of Wrath and I struggle with modern day wow. I mostly do LFR and some normal content because that stuff is closer to the difficulty level I was accustomed to in BC.

But I'd really like to get good at Island Expeditions.

I ran as Aff, 3-3-2-2-1-2-2 and I felt like I was struggling because a) my voidwalker died pretty often b) when PS was on CD I could really only multidot.

Is it fair to say Island Expeditions are all about AOE? Should I switch to Demo? Seems like Demo has more aoe options.

Thanks so much for any help!

I typically run Affliction with this setup. 3-2-1-2-2-2-2. One of the things that will help with you and your pets survival is Demon Skin. Siphon Life is just too many dots to maintain. I use Mortal Coil as a heal/CC/Int for when Mobs/Alliance need to be dealt with. What's your Ilvl sitting at? Your Demon also scales with your gear. If you must have Siphon Life. Drop Creeping Death for Dark Soul: Misery. It'll slow down your rotation and allow you to maintain more. and Burst the important Elites/Alliance as needed.

3 2 2 2 3 3 2
    Be feared, or be fuel

Deleted
    3 2 1 1 1 2 2.

What i do is. Tag with Agony, then use seed, then apply unstable, and make sure all dots are up, Darkglade + deathbolt if they are elites. As a warlock you can take advantage of summoning a new voidwalker when it is about to die.

Tonight I ran expeditions as demo and I did a lot better. If you talent the felhounds as aoe, combined with lots of hand of guldan and implosion, you can sustain a lot of aoe. Also the aoe isn’t really ever on CD so you always feel like you’re contributing. Felguard seemed to outlast voidlord but that could be because I switched to demon skin like you guys suggested.

I didn’t like the cd on phantom singularity, so I might try sow the seeds next time I run aff.

I don’t think either spec is necessarily better, has everything to do with my execution and lack of experience.

Ps - can’t keep up with melee on the charts on aoe pulls

Deleted
    destro is the current AOE king atm by far the best spec for Islands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminandjen View Post
    I'm an old guy who played a lot in BC and quit toward the end of Wrath and I struggle with modern day wow. I mostly do LFR and some normal content because that stuff is closer to the difficulty level I was accustomed to in BC.

But I'd really like to get good at Island Expeditions.

I ran as Aff, 3-3-2-2-1-2-2 and I felt like I was struggling because a) my voidwalker died pretty often b) when PS was on CD I could really only multidot.

Is it fair to say Island Expeditions are all about AOE? Should I switch to Demo? Seems like Demo has more aoe options.

Thanks so much for any help!
    When I run Islands I usually just tag and the tank picks them up. Then Seed and UA spread. Our AoE isn't strong and if was never strong, we as Warlocks just got spoiled by Soul Flame in Legion.

What talents do you like for destro and what do you cast on aoe pulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Santoisms View Post
    When I run Islands I usually just tag and the tank picks them up. Then Seed and UA spread. Our AoE isn't strong and if was never strong, we as Warlocks just got spoiled by Soul Flame in Legion.
    You people keep bringing up soul flame but soul flame was worthless on anything that wasn't Scorpyron or Blackrook Hold.

In high M+ your soulflame was a tiny, tiny portion of your total aoe.

The fact is they nerfed sow the seeds and then seed of corruption's damage on top of it in addition to losing the artifact traits that boosted SoC's damage. And currently dots aren't hitting that hard because if you look at your boss's damage breakdown on affliction the vast majority of your damage is clustered into the darkglare opener with UA following second.

So your spread dots like agony and corruption are doing piss poor damage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running with Cata and CDF, can push some great damage with those 2.

Deleted
    Cata CDF opener then havok one mob and switch to another target and conflag. Then your options basically depend on pack size really if there is more than say 5 enemies then RoF and another conflag then spam incinerate till you can RoF again Orrrrrrr if its 4 or under just Chaos bolt after the havok conflag. Pushes very large numbers.

I hate how slow I feel after the opener of destro AOE, well, all lock AOE pretty much. It is basically burst for 6-8 seconds, then futz around for 20 seconds until the CDs are up again.

I tried all three specs in island expeditions (keep in mind I have a low skill level) and I found demo the most favorable. I didn't realize implosion gave me free demonbolts, which lead to more hand of guldans. There's a lot of aoe. Felhounds when talented and don't forget felstorm - don't let your demon autocast it.

However, I still can't keep up with melee. I don't know if that's because of my skill level, or if it's just locks in general. Hey maybe it's my ilvl? I'm like 302 and doing 5kish on aoe pulls while melee is 6kish.
    Last edited by benjaminandjen; 2018-08-22 at 02:25 AM.