10+ Year Old Account

Dot Refreshing & Haste

Hi guys! I'm unsure of this. So I play boomkin and I'm not sure what the right answer is here..

So if I put my dots up with lets say 15% haste (which I think is my base anyways). And then hit my CA /w 3 stacks of starlord, how does that affect my dots?

What I'm asking/meaning is: If I dot up @ 15% haste, then pop 3 stacks of Star Lrod And CA should I refresh my dots? Does the dot damage scale with the haste or do I need to refresh my dots to then reflect the 40% or whatever I'd be at with those buffs? - At the same time, and this may be dumb - but do they "slow" down after I dot up @ that higher % rate of haste after the haste wears off? Meaning no need to refresh till re-buffed with haste?

Just unsure and can't find a concrete answer/ the right way to ask.

Secondly, with our opener we start with dots. Is it worth refreshing the dots /w starlord if they are affected by the haste increase after its been done? How many stacks of Star Lord should I wait for 2/3/1?

Thanks in advanced,

Droobear
    Last edited by Droobear; 2018-08-29 at 04:08 PM.

What you're describing is called 'snapshotting' and nope boomkins don't have it. Everything scales dynamically. (I.E. no need to refresh your dots at high haste.)
    Last edited by nlc; 2018-08-29 at 04:27 PM.

Wait, a good question that was well asked with a good answer that was straight to the point and wasn't douchey in any way?

What is this place?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tauton View Post
    Wait, a good question that was well asked with a good answer that was straight to the point and wasn't douchey in any way?

What is this place?!
    I'm also confused.
    The OP wasn't even called a noob, neither was his mother insulted in any way. Worst of all: the answer given was absolutely correct.

Deleted
    If i can extend the question : What are the classes who use that "snapshotting" mechanic ?

I can remember Feral using it on Legion but i don't play Drood anymore until Zandalary are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Samym23 View Post
    If i can extend the question : What are the classes who use that "snapshotting" mechanic ?

I can remember Feral using it on Legion but i don't play Drood anymore until Zandalary are available.
    Feral is the only class that has 'snapshotting' anymore via specific Feral abilities (such as Tiger's Fury and Bloodtalons), unless I'm going senile (which is a legitimate possibility, I'm becoming an old bear).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Samym23 View Post

It's only Feral and only for Bloodtalons and Tiger's Fury. So no more trinket snapshotting shenannigans.

I'm done with this place, I come here for the toxic drama and endless, childish insulting not this... this.... this... pleasantry!

You've ruined my morning break!

(I'm proud of you guys, keep it up! I actually loved the snapshotting times but too many others didn't realise it existed and it made us look quite poor, plus sometimes luck got in the way which caused issues. Anyway, i'm rambling. Good job all!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    It's only Feral and only for Bloodtalons and Tiger's Fury. So no more trinket snapshotting shenannigans.
    IIRC, they also call this out explicitly in the description. Though i'm not entirely sure when they removed default snapshotting. WoD perhaps?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a BT/TF Rip only keep its higher damage until you use FB? I'm under the impression that if you use FB the buffed Rip will no longer keep its higher damage. Also, would a BT/TF FB "refresh" Rip with higher damage (I don't think that's how it would work but I'm just curious)?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVX View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a BT/TF Rip only keep its higher damage until you use FB? I'm under the impression that if you use FB the buffed Rip will no longer keep its higher damage. Also, would a BT/TF FB "refresh" Rip with higher damage (I don't think that's how it would work but I'm just curious)?
    If you refresh a buffed Rip with FB (via Sabertooth or sub 20% 25%), it keeps all buffs. That's why you should aim at having a fully buffed Rip up once the boss reaches 20% 25% hp.
    FB does not change the buffs on your active Rip, either way.
    Last edited by ChrisKoe; 2018-08-30 at 02:52 PM. Reason: derped at execute threshold

If you refresh a buffed Rip with FB (via Sabertooth or sub 20% 25%), it keeps all buffs. That's why you should aim at having a fully buffed Rip up once the boss reaches 20% 25% hp.
    FB does not change the buffs on your active Rip, either way.
    If I apply a Rip that has been buffed by a trinket, potion, and SR as well as BT and TF, do only the BT and TF buffs remain when Rip is refreshed? I was testing out my rotation against a dummy and Rip seemed to change its damage when I refreshed it with Sabertooth.

If I apply a Rip that has been buffed by a trinket, potion, and SR as well as BT and TF, do only the BT and TF buffs remain when Rip is refreshed? I was testing out my rotation against a dummy and Rip seemed to change its damage when I refreshed it with Sabertooth.
    Yes.
    Snapshotting for Feral only applies to BT and TF.

Yes.
    Snapshotting for Feral only applies to BT and TF.
    Thank you!

The Trinket, potion and SR benefits are lost as soon as the respective buffs are lost, not when you refresh.

10+ Year Old Account
    SO OMG! . Thank you everyone! I totally forgot I posted this because I've been leveling other toons - came back to my druid to DPS and was like shoot.. I still don't know - Oh but wait I asked a QQ!.. TY!!! Time to read MUCH appreciated all that responded <3 <3 <3

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate this greatly.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You Thank you! Much appreciated!! Soooo good to know! Thank you! I can't even! Been 3 weeks I've been unsure. Dunno why I waited so long to ask. I can't believe I forgot that its called snapshotting. All questions answered and educated <3. TYYYY!

All character stat changes update dynamically, percentage based effects are on ability application.

Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    All character stat changes update dynamically, percentage based effects are on ability application.
    I have to disagree.
    In general, the damage of all dots changes dynamically according to character stats. No matter if it's a flat increase in a stat (from a proc, pot or anything else) or a percentage based buff on the player / debuff on the target. The moment a modifyer comes into play, the damage is updated. So there is no more snapshotting, where you would wait for a certain buff to apply a dot you can refresh for the rest of the fight like warlocks did in WoD with the 100% crit trinket.

The only exception now is feral druid and only for Blood Talons and Tiger's Fury (not Savage Roar).

ass rogue with nighstalker or subterfuge talent i think

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to disagree.
    In general, the damage of all dots changes dynamically according to character stats. No matter if it's a flat increase in a stat (from a proc, pot or anything else) or a percentage based buff on the player / debuff on the target. The moment a modifyer comes into play, the damage is updated. So there is no more snapshotting, where you would wait for a certain buff to apply a dot you can refresh for the rest of the fight like warlocks did in WoD with the 100% crit trinket.

The only exception now is feral druid and only for Blood Talons and Tiger's Fury (not Savage Roar).
    Thank You to clearing up my immediate doubt to others :P. AND re-clarified !