Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the point of Soulfire?

Can somebody tell me? After testing it it's just ~ 6% overall damage. And it's red and not green... so what's the use of this skill in Destro repertoire? Which gap should it fill?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

remeber is a good shard generator

does it generate double shards from havoc? if yes then it may be ok for fights where you fight 2 bosses at the same times, like dogs in antorus, but outside of that i dont see how it would be better than eradication

10+ Year Old Account
    People wanted another button to press so there it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I, personally, am not interested into extra pointless buttons, but some are, so there goes.

Visuals are surely placeholder that will get adjusted eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

In general, the spell is decent - it does decent damage, gives decent shards, I am just indifferent about it because it's nothing Flashover is not doing already anyway and passively at that.

The visual is awful, I hope it's a placeholder and not something they'll delay for next expansion, but we're warlocks so... probably for 10.1 maybe?, but the spell is pretty good in my opinion. It's better for cleaving porpuses than single target, but since I hate Eradication and Flashover is good but not very special, it's a nice addition in my opinion.

7+ Year Old Account
    sad they remove from demo, to put into destro, like destro rly needed another fire spell

demonbolt is so boring

Seems like its another button for the sake of it.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    It's for people that like a slightly more complex rotation. Having said that, it's currently undertuned.

When did they implement the recent version? I mean the skill is... meh? I don't know. Neither very interesting nor special.

Undertuned trash for people that want more than four things to push?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    When did they implement the recent version? I mean the skill is... meh? I don't know. Neither very interesting nor special.
    Was at the very end of beta. Before that it was I want to say a 4 second cast that cost 1 shard on a 45s CD that did a lil more damage than a CB base. Was an awful talent that pretty much amounted to 1 shard every 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Was at the very end of beta. Before that it was I want to say a 4 second cast that cost 1 shard on a 45s CD that did a lil more damage than a CB base. Was an awful talent that pretty much amounted to 1 shard every 45s.
    So every version of Soulfire has been pretty bad then? *lol*

10+ Year Old Account
    Current Soul Fire is not bad, for all intents and purposes it's a very decent spell. I simply consider it redundant.

So every version of Soulfire has been pretty bad then? *lol*
    I actually think this talents pretty neat. Destructions core spells are solid but it could always use another button to press even if that button doesn't do anything crazy. Just having a lil something extra to pay attention to is good.

The only issue I have with it is the spec is set up to fall back into the start of legion trap where you stack haste and high generation and then spam weak CB's. Hopefully they avoid that.

I mean isn't Channel Demonfire enough of a new spell? It looks amazing and deals a great amount of damage. Soulfire otherwise... it's not green. It's damage is quite low. Sure it's a generator with a nice build in mechanic but it's overall so boring...

I really loved Destruction with the rifts. Right now the spec feels so watered down.

I mean isn't Channel Demonfire enough of a new spell? It looks amazing and deals a great amount of damage. Soulfire otherwise... it's not green. It's damage is quite low. Sure it's a generator with a nice build in mechanic but it's overall so boring...

I really loved Destruction with the rifts. Right now the spec feels so watered down.
    I wouldn't call a 2 year old spell new personally.

I also like how Soulfire plays.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeySquad View Post
    I wouldn't call a 2 year old spell new personally.

I also like how Soulfire plays.
    With "new" I meant a spell that's not baseline (new via talent choice).

I tried Soulfire but the results are very underwhelming, it's quite a huge DPS loss (10-15%) for me compared to the other options.

10+ Year Old Account
    With "new" I meant a spell that's not baseline (new via talent choice).

I tried Soulfire but the results are very underwhelming, it's quite a huge DPS loss (10-15%) for me compared to the other options.
    Look, I'm all for bashing Soulfire, but let's not make shit up? Simulated it is about 2% DPS loss.

Heck, not taking any talent at all first row is like 7% DPS loss. So it can't be 10-15% DPS loss like in no way or shape even if you bloody never cast it. Literally, picking Soul Fire and NEVER casting it is 7% DPS loss.

Some people...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Look, I'm all for bashing Soulfire, but let's not make shit up? Simulated it is about 2% DPS loss.

Heck, not taking any talent at all first row is like 7% DPS loss. So it can't be 10-15% DPS loss like in no way or shape even if you bloody never cast it. Literally, picking Soul Fire and NEVER casting it is 7% DPS loss.

Some people...
    I didn't make shit up, I just confused two of my parses (in the one where the DPS difference was about 10-15% I chose Sould Conduit instead of Channel Demonfire). With the exact same talent layout Soulfire vs. Flashover (Eradication is baseline for me due to legendary ring) the difference is ~ 5%.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2018-08-03 at 12:27 PM.

They're kind of worlds apart in design though.

CDF has the immolate restriction which serves as an annoying hindrance and doesn't interact with the kit in any way.

SF cleaves with havoc, generates resource, and scales further with shard gen.

Soulfire is the polar opposite of CDF in terms of design, even if the end result is just *press this button whenever its off CD*. All those little nuanced things matter, those kinds of things are what the current destro design most lacks.