Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do people in semi-poor countries think that every westerner is filthy rich?

What got me thinking was this clip; https://youtu.be/foGtGPc27kk

A thai woman expecting her future husband to just be able to throw away 6800 dollars for jewelry like it's nothing. When she realises that he doesn't have that amount of money, she turns cold. Her idea of being "taken care of" is apparently having her husband spend hundreds of thousands of dollars like it rains money, and a normal, middle-class life, where the husband earns like 3-400k a year (which is still well above what they earn themselves) is simply not enough.

There is also a similar clip with a Russian woman who gets extremely mad because her husband can't afford a 150 000 dollar wedding dress or something

The sad thing is that I have experienced this in my life as well two or three times, in my family. Distant family members who meet a cute thai lady to bring home, and when she realises that he isn't rich she files for divorce and leaves him.

The discussion isn't necessarily about these specific cases, but the image of westerners from the p.o.v of someone who lives in a semi-poor country, such as Russia and Thailand. Do people there honestly believe that every westerner is filthy rich? Is it completely out of their viewpoint that most people aren't rich at all and live very average lives with average salaries, and that an even bigger portion are actually poor?

These women are called Gold Diggers and can be found anywhere in world. I doubt poor/semi-poor countries has a higher concentration of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    These women are called Gold Diggers and can be found anywhere in world. I doubt poor/semi-poor countries has a higher concentration of them.
    I know of the term, but when it comes to these situations, where men meet women from other, poorer, countries it feels like the amount of gold diggers ten och hundredfolds. IRL I have yet to see a case that was made of pure love, it has always been for either financial gain or getting a visa, and when either the economy comes crashing, or the visa is settled, the wife leaves. Obviously I don't think that every woman in poor country is like that, but it does feel like there's an "industry" to scam western men looking for love outside of their own country. It's too common to just blame it on just a few gold diggers.

I'd love to be proven wrong and finally see some cases that's been made simply from true love, but IRL I have yet to see it.

Deleted
    I mean, if you're going to marry someone twice your age, and not getting jewelry worth almost 7000 dollars, what's the point even?

I think there's a little bit of skewed perception and confirmation bias at work here. Women who aren't out for the money won't just leave their homes and families for ugly middle aged men, no matter numerous they are, so you won't learn their stories unless you move there. The average american IS filthy rich compared to the average thai, and some women think it's a good trade to marry an unattractive man to escape their life of poverty. While this isn't legally prostitution, from a moral standpoint it's pretty close to it. It's mutual exploitation, one financially, one sexually. The men are at fault as much as the women are. If they were decent persons they could just find someone in their league. Any relationship is a compromise, and if you can't bring youth and/or character to the table, it will have to be other things. Face reality, 24yo women don't fantasize about divorced, overweigth middle aged men. These men lack self awareness and reflection, no sympathy from me.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2018-08-11 at 10:26 AM.

LOL she isn't even hot and I have a thing for Asian girls. What a loser, letting a fat plain girl push him around. There are so many hot ones running around why not get them?

Also 6800 isn't that much money. 68000 I'd be like Nope but 6800 is about what I'd expect to spend on a wedding ring for an American girl.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2018-08-11 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    LOL she isn't even hot and I have a thing for Asian girls. What a loser, letting a fat plain girl push him around. There are so many hot ones running around why not get them?

Also 6800 isn't that much money. 68000 I'd be like Nope but 6800 is about what I'd expect to spend on a wedding ring for an American girl.
    What the fuck? Here, it's very common for both the engagement ring and wedding ring combined to cost like 1000 dollars, 2000 if you take both parts into account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I think there's a little bit of skewed perception and confirmation bias at work here. Women who aren't out for the money won't just leave their homes and families for ugly middle aged men, no matter numerous they are, so you won't learn their stories unless you move there. The average american IS filthy rich compared to the average thai, and some women think it's a good trade to marry an unattractive man to escape their life of poverty. While this isn't legally prostitution, from a moral standpoint it's pretty close to it. It's mutual exploitation, one financially, one sexually. The men are at fault as much as the women are. If they were decent persons they could just find someone in their league.
    I've seen too many cases off uggo being with pretto to believe in leagues, but I kind of get your point. Still though. Like you said, even a middle-class life in the western world, where the man earns like 3-400k a year, is still vastly better than what they have in, say, Thailand. Yet there seem to be so few cases where western middle-class man and thai girl fall head over heels over one another and move to the man's country, where the woman won't live like Bill Gates but still better than at her family's farm in the thai countryside.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    What the fuck? Here, it's very common for both the engagement ring and wedding ring combined to cost like 1000 dollars, 2000 if you take both parts into account.
    Marriage is a burden in America, thats why marriage rates are falling. Fake reality TV gives women high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen too many cases off uggo being with pretto to believe in leagues, but I kind of get your point. Still though. Like you said, even a middle-class life in the western world, where the man earns like 3-400k a year, is still vastly better than what they have in, say, Thailand. Yet there seem to be so few cases where western middle-class man and thai girl fall head over heels over one another and move to the man's country, where the woman won't live like Bill Gates but still better than at her family's farm in the thai countryside.
    My friend just got married the ring was 8k. He makes 160k a year. https://smartasset.com/debt/how-much...ngagement-ring abd here, so your wrong, was closer to my guess.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2018-08-11 at 10:39 AM.

My friend just got married the ring was 8k. He makes 160k a year.
    Well then, obviously, as he's rich
    That's like 60% of a months salary which is okay even for me, even if still a bit over the top imo.

Deleted
    Nope, my mother is from Philippines, my father is Swedish. She had no illusions that she would live a life in luxury just by being with a Swedish man.

I think there's a little bit of skewed perception and confirmation bias at work here. Women who aren't out for the money won't just leave their homes and families for ugly middle aged men, no matter numerous they are, so you won't learn their stories unless you move there. The average american IS filthy rich compared to the average thai, and some women think it's a good trade to marry an unattractive man to escape their life of poverty. While this isn't legally prostitution, from a moral standpoint it's pretty close to it. It's mutual exploitation, one financially, one sexually. The men are at fault as much as the women are. If they were decent persons they could just find someone in their league. Any relationship is a compromise, and if you can't bring youth and/or character to the table, it will have to be other things. Face reality, 24yo women don't fantasize about divorced, overweigth middle aged men. These men lack self awareness and reflection, no sympathy from me.
    This sums it up pretty well, like every con, if its too good to be true, its to good to be true.

7+ Year Old Account
    Normal women will never complain about money like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    Gold Diggers are definitely a thing. But in many cases, I think it's a major misconception of what western "wealth" means and stands for.

In Sweden, it's become very common, for average men to bring home Thai wives.

Some really hate the lives they get to live here, some divorce, and some return home.
    Some stay and learn to appreciate our "way of life". I know quite a few women of this kind.

Western wealth, in a Swedish sense, is the ability, to even on an average wage, from an average joe job lead a very nice life.
    Own your home, filled with everyday & material comforts.
    Have a vehicle of your own, the ability & freedom to go wherever you wan't to.
    A very well functioning healthcare system that will help you should you need it.
    A very well functioning legal system, basically free from corruption.
    Your children will have many opportunities to excel, excellent education and will never be forced into labor before "adult" age.
    Afford to take a vacation, time of, probably able to afford to return home every, or every second year to visit your family.

Some women will despise, the average, potentially dull life you most likely get to live here.
    To some, my country is a paradise, compared to where they came from.

Yeah, I agree with most of this.

Are you mental. 6800$ on a ring, to be expected? Not that much? No way.
    In my experience, even wealthy Swedish couples rarely go beyond 2000-3000$ at the most.
    Last edited by Snowfunk; 2018-08-11 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese and onion View Post
    Nope, my mother is from Philippines, my father is Swedish. She had no illusions that she would live a life in luxury just by being with a Swedish man.
    That's good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    Gold Diggers are definitely a thing. But in many cases, I think it's a major misconception of what western "wealth" means and stands for.

In Sweden, it's become very common, for average men to bring home Thai wives.

Some really hate the lives they get to live here, some divorce, and some return home.
    Some stay and learn to appreciate our "way of life". I know quite a few women of this kind.

Western wealth, in a Swedish sense, is the ability, to even on an average wage, from an average joe job lead a very nice life.
    Own your home, filled with everyday & material comforts.
    Have a vehicle of your own, the ability & freedom to go wherever you wan't to.
    A very well functioning healthcare system that will help you should you need it.
    A very well functioning legal system, basically free from corruption.
    Afford to take a vacation, time of, probably able to afford to return home every, or every second year to visit your family.

Yeah, I agree with most of this.

Are you mental. 6800$ on a ring, to be expected? Not that much? No way.
    In my experience, even wealthy Swedish couples rarely go beyond 2000-3000$ at the most.
    https://smartasset.com/debt/how-much...ngagement-ring Your dead wrong. fact check before arguing. Americans spend about 2-3 months of salary on it.... its you know, kinda a big deal?

Face reality, 24yo women don't fantasize about divorced, overweight middle aged men. These men lack self awareness and reflection, no sympathy from me.
    False, unless I'm the only guy in the world who hunts cougars and gilfs.
    There must also be women who hunt rhinos and dilfs.

divorced, overweight middle aged WOmen
    yeah, give me that

- - - Updated - - -

LOL she isn't even hot
    That chick is ugly af, I wasn't even going to click on the link but I read your comment so I had to peek and now I'm mad lol
    Someone needs to tell this guy to go to Pattaya instead of Beung Kan and he can at least get someone who looks better that wants his money lol or go to Chiang Mai for an average lady who will actually be normal.

I want to introduce YOU mmo-champ to a word I hope will have a place in your vocabulary, possibly taking the place of "cuck" since you all misuse that word.

Last edited by Drusin; 2018-08-11 at 10:57 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

https://smartasset.com/debt/how-much...ngagement-ring Your dead wrong. fact check before arguing. Americans spend about 2-3 months of salary on it.... its you know, kinda a big deal?
    From a Swedish point of view, that's just insane.
    But then again, Americans are known to reckless with their finances. Living far beyond limitations. Getting a new credit cards to pay of the old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Gol diggers here, gold diggers there, gold diggers everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    $6100 on average means you're expected to spend $6800? You ought to learn some statistics.

Median value is what you are looking for. That'd be slightly below 3k, as per 2015 data:

That's because you can't average between uncle Joe and Mariah Carey. American wealth distribution is very skewed up.

Also, a $6800 ring in Thailand would be paragonable to a $138k ring in the US, adjusted for median salary. That ugly girl is definitely not worth a $138k gift
    Last edited by S7orm; 2018-08-11 at 11:01 AM.