Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think you mean blind.
    That's the one. All sensory disabilities look alike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    If you ask me someone this powerful needs something to offset that power. That’s why I like the Steve vs Tony dynamic. He’s basically the perfect character but he’s vulnerable. Sure he has superpowers but in a fight he’s very likely to die given he has no real defenses. Meanwhile, Tony has brains and the armor, yet he has multiple personality flaws. You feel like he’s going through a journey of discovering how to be a better person, which extends all the way back to IM1, where he stops the Stark weapons manufacturing.

Carol has all of Tony’s power with all of Steve’s morality. I’m hoping that in Endgame, we’ll see a conflict Carol can’t blow away by raising her fist, because as of now Captain Marvel is the weakest part of this movie (obviously imo). I just can’t bring myself to care. No stakes. Perhaps Thanos can raise them to match her level. After all, the Russos did create the best version of Thor (again imo).
    Yeah, no. Carol wants to be a good person, but she has a real tendency to punch first and ask questions later. Look at what happened when she crashed on Earth; she turns, sees a figure in the dark, and blasts its fucking head off. Not only was it not a threat, it wasn't even an actual PERSON, it was a cardboard cutout display. Imagine if that had been some poor 17 year old kid sweeping up the Blockbuster before closing out for the night; that kid would've been dead. It took the Kree threatening Rambeau's daughter to get Carol to take a pause long enough for them to explain they're not the baddies and need her help. Because if they HADN'T carried that implicit threat, Carol would've tried to kill them both, without quarter, without giving them a chance to speak.

This is a pretty massive character flaw. One true to the comics, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Think you missed the point of my discussion. The dude I quoted was saying that Marvel havent had enough diverse heroes due to the amount they preach, and I corrected him to say there are some coming. Whether they checks lists or not, they are heroes that exist.

Although if you find that offensive I am sure they'll be plenty of white heroes in between these too. Still got another Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Eternals movies to come yet. Plus Fantasic Four and the X-Men have plenty of white for you.

As long as the movies are good I don't care what the heroes are.
    Personally i'd rather see more non-binary non gender roles. But i'd settle for more robot/alien/clouds of mist characters and the superhero genre dip more into Sci fi because im getting a bit bored of the origin formula and the space epics work better for me.

But sure ill take some more "whites" as you put it

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, no. Carol wants to be a good person, but she has a real tendency to punch first and ask questions later. Look at what happened when she crashed on Earth; she turns, sees a figure in the dark, and blasts its fucking head off. Not only was it not a threat, it wasn't even an actual PERSON, it was a cardboard cutout display. Imagine if that had been some poor 17 year old kid sweeping up the Blockbuster before closing out for the night; that kid would've been dead. It took the Kree threatening Rambeau's daughter to get Carol to take a pause long enough for them to explain they're not the baddies and need her help. Because if they HADN'T carried that implicit threat, Carol would've tried to kill them both, without quarter, without giving them a chance to speak.

Is this your first time seeing the "Panic shoot something that turned out to not be dangerous" joke? I loved it in the original Ghostbusters. And people laughed like it was a joke, not gasped because she could have just killed somebody.

That is something that definitely kneecaps the tone of the movie. It's too comedic to be taken seriously in the serious moments. The same thing that dragged down Ragnarok, even if I did enjoy it.

Youre forgetting the part where that flaw does not exist anymore. The chances of Carol taking a leap like that again are slim to none. That’s her entire development.

Why should I care about that when the problem is already resolved?

Carol has all of Tony’s power with all of Steve’s morality. I’m hoping that in Endgame, we’ll see a conflict Carol can’t blow away by raising her fist, because as of now Captain Marvel is the weakest part of this movie (obviously imo). I just can’t bring myself to care. No stakes. Perhaps Thanos can raise them to match her level. After all, the Russos did create the best version of Thor (again imo).
    JFC, maybe wait for Endgame.

He's still very clearly a field agent. As you can see by him being in the field.

If you want a comparison to Agents of Shield, he's at or below where Coulson was at the start of that show, when SHIELD was still strong; Coulson was a team lead but that's it, not part of upper management at all. Fury isn't even that, in Captain Marvel; he's got one subordinate partner. He's the senior agent of a partnership, that's it.
    I think hes closer to K from Men in Black. Clearly the next in line but not there yet.

Yeah, no. Carol wants to be a good person, but she has a real tendency to punch first and ask questions later. Look at what happened when she crashed on Earth; she turns, sees a figure in the dark, and blasts its fucking head off. Not only was it not a threat, it wasn't even an actual PERSON, it was a cardboard cutout display. Imagine if that had been some poor 17 year old kid sweeping up the Blockbuster before closing out for the night;
    He'd have been thrown 40' against a wall, then grumbled about how it hurt a lot, but he'd be okay so not a problem...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    JFC, maybe wait for Endgame.
    That’s exactly what I’m doing. I often compare this to like how Superman deals with Batman villains for comedic effect because of how low the stakes are for Supes. Even liking Superman takes a certain kind of taste. It isn’t for everyone.

I’m hopeful that the Russos will give her something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Well, see. Which is it? Is diversity so important that it mattered more that she was a female superhero or do you not care and you're just as childish as the manchildren you complain about and making a big deal out of it?
    Not the type of person you should be asking, the diversity quota doesn't apply to me, I just want a good movie. I see it and judge it for what it is.

I aint taking part in this culture war people are turning geek culture into, in fact I am kind of sick of hearing about it. I just wanna enjoy shit and it's really hard to these days without two sides turning everything to be about anything but the media it's trying to promote. Lucky for me I aint on social media so I don;t get to hear about the real toxicity of it all, but like a raging battle in the distance you can still hear it, even though you aint there. That's the worst part.

Both of the extreme sides of this drama are the ones being childish, I am just a guy who wants to see a movie. And Captain Marvel was a fine flawed, but enjoyable movie to me. So anyone who wants the drama can take it and shove it, because I don't care what side you sit on, I aint having none of it. Getting too old for that shit.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-12 at 12:21 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Not the type of person you should be asking, the diversity quota doesn't apply to me, I just want a good movie. I see it and judge it for what it is. I aint taking apart in this culture war people are turning geek culture into, in fact I am kind of sick of hearing about it.
    See, you can't say you're not apart of this when you talk about how triggered people are by the money the movie is making. That's just disingenuous.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, you can't say you're not apart of this when you talk about how triggered people are by the money the movie is making. That's just disingenuous.
    You right I totally was. And I don't care. I just wanna see movies, and have fun, and I had fun watching Captain Marvel because I ignored the drama. Wish more people would just enjoy shit again instead of focusing on the 'he said she said bullshit' even if I do find the people getting outraged completely meaningless.

I still don;t even know what the drama was about. Something about Brie Larosn saying she wanted more diverse audience of movie reviewers... I have no idea.

You right I totally was. And I don't care. I just wanna see movies, and have fun, and I had fun watching Captain Marvel because I ignored the drama. Wish more people would just enjoy shit again instead of focusing on the 'he said she said bullshit' even if I do find the people getting outraged completely meaningless.

I still don;t even know what the drama was about. Something about Brie Larosn saying she wanted more diverse audience of movie reviewers... I have no idea.
    But you care that some minority on the internet is pissed the movie is making it's money. Sounds like the mortal enemy of that group, alright.

But it's cool. People need this movie to be hyper successful just like other people want it to be an utter failure. It's cute.

That’s exactly what I’m doing. I often compare this to like how Superman deals with Batman villains for comedic effect because of how low the stakes are for Supes. Even liking Superman takes a certain kind of taste. It isn’t for everyone.

I’m hopeful that the Russos will give her something.
    This sounds good, but saying "as of now Captain Marvel is the weakest part of this movie" does not sound like waiting for Endgame.

But you care that some minority on the internet is pissed the movie is making it's money. Sounds like the mortal enemy of that group, alright.

But it's cool. People need this movie to be hyper successful just like other people want it to be an utter failure. It's cute.
    Why does every conversation with you turn into you trying so. damn. hard. to argue with somebody?

This sounds good, but saying "as of now Captain Marvel is the weakest part of this movie" does not sound like waiting for Endgame.
    I’m not sure what point you’re making here. If I liked Carol in this movie I wouldn’t be waiting for Endgame to see what the Russos would do with her. What they did with Thor was a pleasant surprise since I liked Taika’s version of him too. I didn’t expect Thor to get even better. Thor was utterly boring in his own first two movies and was given some fun banter in AoU, but it took some time for Thor to come into his own.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Number of times Disney has paid lip-service to Minorities, Social Justice, Identity Politics etc to sell movies:

Number of Asian/Latino/Arab/Indian/Gay/Trans/Handicapped Superheros:

we are going to have a Chinese superhero - Li Bingbing is apparently starring in a film called Realm which was written by Stan Lee. dunno when it will come out but it will

Why does every conversation with you turn into you trying so. damn. hard. to argue with somebody?
    Pot, Kettle? What are you doing here?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    So the movie is doing well it seems. Good good. Funny as the packed cinema I was in when I went to see the movie consisted of a lot of men. :P

So the man babies crying online are a loud minority it seems. Doesn't surprise me. More reasons why I am thankful I don;t use social media or watch drama youtubers. :P
    the loud minority always dominates because they are often controversial and are almost always news ready - goes for religions, ideologies like veganism and many other things. they make the news because of how bat shit crazy they are and the news media eats it up and presents it as the majority view when it isn't really

10+ Year Old Account

I care only as far as it being because the outrage is ridiculous, on both sides, more so on the side that was offended to begin with, because you people have turned it into a dick v vagina argument again.

I wish you would just zip it when people offend you, stop and think 'is this really worth getting mad about?', 'do I really wanna die on this hill?' a movie about Captain Marvel? Really? I didn't get mad about Captain Marvel. I aint mad that you are offended by the movie, I find it hilarious. So you wanna argue with the feminists thats fine with me, you keep stoking that fire. I am over here just enjoying my pretty average but fun movie.

I mean I got more important things to do with my time than be mad at a movie about Captain 'frikkin' Marvel, got bills to pay and a house to keep and a horrible job thats keeping a roof over our head. I got my priorities.

But I am gonna end it there. I have said all I wanted to, I don't wanna get an infraction for talking about forbidden topics like this. So good day.

I'm still wondering how someone who essentially got her powers from the space stone will be able to go against Thanos who has all of the infinity stones. Sounds pretty stupid to me.