Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, in the trailer, it's inferred that she spent a lot of time with the Kree Military, and if...IF they did that right whatever bitchiness we see might be moderate by such standards. The Kree were never a fun-loving race...and they thought human emotion led to insanity.
    To play devil's advocate, we know the film's set in the mid-'90s, and it shows Danvers flying what looks like an F-15 in her flashbacks, which only entered service in '76. That puts a fairly specific window on her timeline, though we can infer that she was likely taken by the Kree much later, unless they're introducing some aging prevention stuff they might have done to her; if she'd been 20 in '76 to get into that first bunch of F-15s, she'd be in her mid-40s in the mid-90s. I don't think they're pushing for that, and Larson definitely doesn't look that. She may have only been with them a few years, but if they wiped her memory, that would still be "her entire life" until the old stuff starts coming back to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Lol, good one...
    TYL what opinion means I guess.

Plank shows more emotion than her.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think that was a rare success that even the people involved were surprised about. Plus, many of the actors were imo crowd magnets. I have no idea who Brie Larson even is.
    I wouldn't know who she was until that King Kong movie last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    As a woman, I'd love to see a commanding woman in a lead role, but there's a difference between bitchy and commanding, and imo, she came off bitchy in the trailer. Maybe it won't come off like that once I watch the movie, idk.
    She really just comes off as bland to me. Not much facial expression, not much vocal change, just sort of bland.

Larson reminds me of Cavill as Superman.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I wouldn't know who she was until that King Kong movie last year.
    I don't know the character, and I've only seen Brie in Scott Pilgrim and King Kong, but she always seemed so dispassionate, except for when she was singing in Scott Pilgrim... dunno. She seems bored most of the time, no matter what happens around her... cannot speak for her other work. She seems to lack energy.

Yeah, but her flashback shows her flying the fighter jet, right? I don’t think women could be fighter jet pilots till the early 90’s.
    I doubt that real world fact matters in MCU.

Others have mentioned comic-Marvel being a merged kree-human DNA-wise, but I never read it. My thought was that she was physically merged and she has dual memories of a kree life and a human life, but the kree kept her in the kree forces so she's not sure if the human memories are real since the current kree life matches up to her memories of a past kree life, if that makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but her flashback shows her flying the fighter jet, right? I don’t think women could be fighter jet pilots till the early 90’s.
    1> The Marvel universe isn't our universe. Technically.
    2> My point was that she almost certainly was picked up post-1976, and most likely much later, and thus would only have been with the Kree for a few years.

I don’t even remember her in Scott Pilgrim. First time I recall her in a movie was 21 Jump Street.
    Scotts ex, Envy, the singer. Only a minor role.

I don’t know the specifics, but that Blockbuster video that was shown in the beginning leads us to believe it’s definitely our universe, and it was shown to give us a time table of when she returned back to Earth (sometime between 1985-2013).
    Right, the universe is basically the same as real world, but they can change whatever they want to for the story.

The real world had myths of a Thor, the MCU has a real Thor.
    The real world didn't have female pilots until the 90's, the MCU has female pilots in the 70's or 80's who then meet aliens.

Though, I wouldn't doubt if they toss a "we're the first female pilots cuz we're so kewl, but we're super duper secret pilots, lolz!" as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Trailer didn't do her justice in my opinion. She's actually more interesting than she seems. If you wanna know more about her look at her more classic stories (except Avengers 200 don't read that lol).

Over the last 4-5 years though she has been terribly written in the comics and badly forced down everyone throat as a WOMAN POWER message, which is fine if you wanna do that sort of thing subtly. She already had that vibe about her anyway at least to me, she was always strong, but flawed, she had her own issues but she also overcame them, she's always been a kind of hot head and headstrong but also has a heart in the right place.

Recently in the comics she is written as this cold, stone faced, emotionless vapid woman. And don't get me started on the art style they did for her, think Marvel saw Zarya from overwatch and modeled her using that as Captain Marvels new image. It's so sad because she is a great character (or was). I haven't read her recent run in the comics, People have been telling me it's gotten better, so maybe I'll pick them up. I hear she has her long hair back now, thats a plus.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-09-19 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    Reed is the only man to have to deal with his son with the powers of a god.
    Franklin is so powerful he subconsciously created an after-life universe for the souls of the recently dead heroes to live, Galactus has confirmed he will be there standing with him at the end of the multiverse.
    Xavier had a similar issue with Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    So, what, she has no recollection of her life on Earth or something?

On a sidenote, how exactly is she gnna age from 90's to 2019's Avengers 4?
    easily explained by her heritage

as half human half kree she would age slower, although her kree part has had a few variations in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I wouldn't say that's "her whole character". She's also career military, from before she developed powers. I think a better boil-down is that she deeply believes in service, and her desire to be loved is about her being recognized for the service she's done, and continues to do, for humanity. It's not like she wants to sit around being fed grapes by adoring fans. Not getting due respect has been an ongoing thing; it's why she eventually got pissed and dumped the "Miss Marvel" moniker, since she was the only Marvel around, doing the job, anyway.

Definitely closer to Supes than Bats, but she's got a hardass streak to her that Supes really just doesn't. Superman doesn't like killing. Danvers will annihilate you and the warship you flew in on just for pointing your guns in the wrong direction.
    Danver's desire to be appreciated comes from her father never believing in her, to the extent he wouldn't even allow her to go to college. She's also wrestling with the fact that her father can never give his approval due to being dead so she's stuck always pushing herself to do better whilst never feeling she's dones enough. That's why it took Steve a long time to persuade her to dump the "Ms." moniker (they purposefully chose Ms. to make it clear that Ms. Marvel was a feminist superhero) and take up the mantle of Captain Marvel.

/shrug

Looks okay. Unfortunately, I'm now entering people I didn't see in my childhood. So, I don't get that feeling of "Ooh" like normal.

Again. Should at bare minimum be an adequate movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    TYL what opinion means I guess.
    No. Whether you enjoyed a character is certainly a matter of opinion. Whether a character can be classified as a "strong female lead" is pretty objective.

You're flat out (and laughably) wrong if you think "Hunger Games is the only movie to successfully pull off strong female lead". Or you just haven't watched all that many movies. Sure Katniss makes for a good action figure every now and then, but the rest of the time she's either giving up her agency being used as a pawn for one faction or another, or crying about her boy problems. It's typical, formulaic young adult fiction. Sorry not sorry to bust your bubble.

On the plus side, if you want to watch movies that did the strong female role better than Hunger Games there are plenty. Start with Aliens, The Blind Side, Erin Brockovich, The Descent, Terminator 2, Legally Blonde, Kill Bill, Underworld, Max Max Fury Road, Star Wars ep 4-6, Mulan, and many many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    Reed is the only man to have to deal with his son with the powers of a god.
    Franklin is so powerful he subconsciously created an after-life universe for the souls of the recently dead heroes to live, Galactus has confirmed he will be there standing with him at the end of the multiverse.

- - - Updated - - -

i think you're underestimating how fucked shit is gonna get.
    killing half of a single universe is only the beginning.
    I, and many others, don't consider Franklin canon. That's the great thing about comics, you can decide for yourself what is and isn't canon and so can the writers. You know how many times spider-man's been retconned!?

Franklin is so obviously broken and badly written he's best ignored imo. His only character flaw is he's a child, which is the stupidest and most overdone character flaw around - just look at why everyone hates Med'an.

As a woman, I'd love to see a commanding woman in a lead role, but there's a difference between bitchy and commanding, and imo, she came off bitchy in the trailer. Maybe it won't come off like that once I watch the movie, idk.
    What made her come of as bitchy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I, and many others, don't consider Franklin canon. That's the great thing about comics, you can decide for yourself what is and isn't canon and so can the writers.
    Yeah, no. That is not how it works.

The writers decide what's canon. Fans don't get any say. What fans have, when it disagrees with existing canon, is what is known as "headcanon", which is often used pejoratively, because it's literally shit you're either making up or ignoring because you won't accept the canon as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, no. That is not how it works.

The writers decide what's canon. Fans don't get any say. What fans have, when it disagrees with existing canon, is what is known as "headcanon", which is often used pejoratively, because it's literally shit you're either making up or ignoring because you won't accept the canon as-is.
    Cough hydra cap cough.