Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Movie title was a bit deceptive; I really enjoyed Captain Kitty though! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    There's that option, of course, but in general there is a sort of device you could call a reverse Chekhov's Gun - you purposely leave a minor element unsolved, open, contradictory etc. to engage elements of your audience that watch for this stuff. It need not ever be utilized or resolved (though you have that option in the future if needed) but it will hook people all the same.
    Those are usually a lot more obvious..they don't want it to be something that can be overlooked too easily.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I have not paid any attention to what Brie Larson have or haven't said about various things because they are woefully irrelevant to my enjoyment of the movie.

I didn't quite know what to expect given how polarizing this movie appear to have been but after watching it I will say this, I found the movie enjoyable from start to finish and I don't think Brie Larson did a horrible job, not the best acting I've ever seen but it wasn't bad. Is it the best MCU movie? Not by a longshot but its definitely not the worst.

Saw it again with my girlfriend this time. She loved it. I liked it a lot more the second round too. It's really funny and I like how it fit in with everything.

Biggest continuity hole is it's not quite clear if Shield is a grounded realistic agency in 1995, or is a super-science agency yet. Because the prologue in Ant Man had them well on the way to what they would become 20 years later, but Nick Fury's Shield in This is much more CIA basically. That hangar was filled with exactly what you'd expect in the mid 1990s... F-22s, a B-2 prototype

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Looks like the decline was about what was expected. The film should be ~$700M globally tomorrow morning. Which means it’ll flirt with $1B, but probably fall a bit shy.
    Yeah, if you believe those numbers...
    Meanwhile multiple sources report empty theaters since the second week.
    "MAHFEMENISM" can't fail, they will make sure about that.

Thread was warned to stay on topic and not derail. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-03-18 at 04:40 PM.

Haters gonna hate. Its a great movie.

Haven't seen it. Guess I'm burnt out on Marvel. Didnt see Black Panther til it hit Redbox, havent seen Infinity War or AntMan and the Wasp at all.

Can't point to why, I just don't feel motivated to go to the theater much anymore.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Haven't seen it. Guess I'm burnt out on Marvel. Didnt see Black Panther til it hit Redbox, havent seen Infinity War or AntMan and the Wasp at all.

Can't point to why, I just don't feel motivated to go to the theater much anymore.
    I skipped out on Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and Ant-Man and the Wasp. I actually loved all 3 of those when I saw them on netflix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post

https://i.imgur.com/46nLEVl.jpg
    I mean one showing at one theatre isn't really indicative of how the movie is doing. To be honest that theatre is really small.

Quote Originally Posted by Valehna View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes can manipulate all the reviews and ratings they want, but it's already clear by their blatant purging of over 54,000 reviews, that the vast majority of people are sick of this "Get Woke" mentality in films these days.

Funny how they're making this about women, when 'Alita Battle Angel' never had this issue... It's almost like a movie having a female lead isn't actually the problem, and has never been the problem...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, "trolling". The ever convenient excuse to dismiss valid criticisms, and keep your fingers in your ears... If you honestly think 54,000 people were "trolling" when the Audience Score was down to 34% (before RT straight up reset the ratings), you're just delusional...
    I do it got more reviews in 2 days than infinite war got over it's entire lifespan that's sketchy as hell. They can check comments for spamming, and track ip addresses. They don't just remove them for no reason something suspect was going on there and a lot of youtubers are being dishonest.

- - - Updated - - -

If disney lies can't they take a hit financially... I mean lying to shareholder or the irs is a crime and the irs doesn't play neither do shareholder honestly.

They're also going to be printing money once infinity war part 2 drops. Why would they risk it over another bad film like some of the previous marvel titles. Why didn't they do this for solo?

It must suck living a life where you need to invent constant conspiracy theories just to ignore reailty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post

I'm waiting for it to hit netflix. It seems like a week film but I'm totally gonna watch infinity war 2 though the first was awesome.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-03-18 at 08:20 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Multiple reports: shows none
    Anecdotal evidence of a random time in a theater: tries to prove point

Man, this movie doing well must've shattered your world.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    I'm waiting for it to hit netflix. It seems like a week film but I'm totally gonna watch infinity war 2 though the first was awesome.
    Netflix will no longer get NEW Disney/Marvel/LucasFilm/Pixar stuff. All 2018 and older stuff that they have now will slowly fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I counter your picture with https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4495&p=.htm.

$760M in 12 days. Have fun with the conspiracy theory though.
    You "countered" a picture with an article about estimated numbers from a website called boxofficemojo... okay, you won. Back to the gay frogs

You "countered" a picture with an article about estimated numbers from a website called boxofficemojo... okay, you won. Back to the gay frogs
    Lol at least it's an actual source rather than a "multiple sources" and a random pic.

15+ Year Old Account
    I went to see it this weekend and the theater was completely packed. I mean completely. Even the terrible front row seats. One picture of one theater in probably a morning showing doesn't mean much. I'd love to know what these "multiple sources" you claim are. Side note, I enjoyed the movie. I did not think the scene after the credits was worth anyone's time. If you see it, watch the mid-credit scene, then go home.

What's this I hear now about Disney manipulating box office by buying out theaters to try to convince the public the movie was not mediocre?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-03-18 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Biggest continuity hole is it's not quite clear if Shield is a grounded realistic agency in 1995, or is a super-science agency yet. Because the prologue in Ant Man had them well on the way to what they would become 20 years later, but Nick Fury's Shield in This is much more CIA basically. That hangar was filled with exactly what you'd expect in the mid 1990s... F-22s, a B-2 prototype
    I think they made it clear that Fury's just a field agent at this point in time. I think his clearance level is give as 3, in the film.

To put that in perspective, at the start of Agents of SHIELD, pretty much everyone in the team except Skye is Clearance Level 5 or higher.

I'm guessing Fury's just not in the loop on the weirder shit.

Boxofficemojo is a pretty well known site for determining ticket sales and how well a movie is doing. Your picture on the other hand is...totally random, and proves nothing. Maybe that picture was a 10 am showing on a weekday, when NO movie is very packed(that's when I usually go to movies, since I work overnight), one lone picture of a mostly empty theater proves nothing other than that one theater, at one point in time, didn't have many people at the showing, which means nothing since we don't know a)where that theater is(maybe it's a small local theater in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere that never draws a big crowd for anything, the pic alone shows it's a pretty small theater), or b)what time that showing is.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/17/capt...ox-office.html

kek. but yeah, keep going with your fantasy that people give a shit about 10 white guys on the internet's crusade against disney.

Finally watched the movie... and it's a standard character intro MCU movie. Not great, not terrible, probably low tier in the realm of MCU movies in general. Was constantly jarring when it came to the tone of Marvel and the movie in general, maybe a result of having two directors who weren't on the same page or scripting issues. Constantly back and forth between stoic and dry humor, even within the same scenes. Of all the performances, Jackson and Mendelsohn carried the movie, the rest were mediocre to terrible (I will give a shout out to the science officer, that bit was rather humorous). Jackson and Larson did start having some chemistry in terms of interactions over time, but such interactions were never capitalized. Maybe they were removed from the final cut, who knows, but they were at least entertaining.

The movie went the route of "Look! A Blockbuster and a Radio Shack and an AOL reference! That's the 90's!", which could've been fine if the tone of the movie was going more towards a Ragnarok/GotG instead of trying to be serious business. Did a literal sigh when during the penultimate scene when the movie queued No Doubt's 'Just a Girl'... again, they didn't set up the movie to be a Ragnarok or a GotG leading up to the scene, and it just screams a cheap "woman power!" attempt instead of making the audience feel like she's an actual hero. Didn't help the character was written to have almost no arc and Marvel barely struggled when handicapped, and this is where movies like Wonder Woman did a helluva lot better job at making an impactful hero moment. Sure, I get her power level needs to be super high to transition into the next Avengers movie, but this is what happens when you release a new character introduction a month or two before their big moment movie and doesn't make for good story building opportunities.

There were a ton of other inconsistencies and issues I had with the film, but it's still a film you can walk away from having enjoyed at least. There are far worse movies than Captain Marvel. Do I think it's worth a $1B movie? Not really, I think the majority of the 'hype' is from people thinking you need to see Captain Marvel in order to see Avengers: End Game, and I think the release timing was done on purpose to exploit such hype, especially since the movie is so mediocre. However, Captain Marvel doesn't add any plot points that will have any effect on Avengers. About the only thing this movie does is (sort of) explains where Marvel gets her powers and that she knows Fury, and the post-credit scene is guaranteed to be in the next Avengers movie.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    RedLetterMedia did the best review on this I think of everyone so far. Pretty valid points and pretty much what everyone expected. A generic movie with a bunch of Retcons.