Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 95 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedsOnDevTears View Post
    I liked Wonder Woman a lot, but Captain Marvel made the excellent choice to not include a romance sub-plot.
    Danvers/Rambeaux wasn't exactly on the down-low
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

just saw it today and it was awesome. cant wait for avengers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    How's Fury supposed to know her response time to decide it's not worth trying to call her in for an extinction level event? Even if she was somewhere during the events of Infinity War that took a month for her to respond, that doesn't mean she was that far away during the previous Avengers movies or Thor 2.

Maybe she should have said "Call me in an emergency, but only if your emergency doesn't need to be solved for 6 to 8 weeks."
    He doesn't have to.

He hits the button, it broadcasts the alert. I presume that either he or Danvers can turn it off. It broadcasts until Fury decides everything's settled so he turns it off himself, and Danvers can stop her trip back, or Danvers arrives and turns it off herself, which she does in the end-credits scene. They never bothered showing this to us, before, because it was never relevant to the narrative of that film; Danvers wasn't going to show up in time. Showing it would have been a Chekov's Gun that was never fired, which is bad writing.

If it's gonna take her 4-6 weeks to get home from Kree space, and Fury keeps turning the beacon off after a day or three, Danvers would never make it close to Earth. This was the first time the beacon stayed active and she kept coming.

It's worth noting that all the above is well within 90s-era pager technological limits, aside from the range thing, which they explain in the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it, especially all the 90's relics.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    blind rage, but we don't talk about it because they're Nazis.
    one thing that really erked me was that the germans were portrayed as nazi's when in WW1 they wern't the good guys but there weren't any real good guys and hey weren't at nazis levels of dicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    one thing that really erked me was that the germans were portrayed as nazi's when in WW1 they wern't the good guys but there weren't any real good guys and hey weren't at nazis levels of dicks.
    Oh, wait, right, it's WWI.

Scratch what I said about it being "okay" then; neither side of that conflict were angels, and really, if you're going to talk about that conflict, you need to be able to grasp the emergence of things like the Christmas Truce, where both sides in a trench battle just said "fuck it" on Christmas and violated orders to give the other side presents and sing carols and whatnot. There simply wasn't the "the enemy is evil" sense that we got in WWII onwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I dunno about Vision being stronger though. That would only be true if you assume all stones are equally powerful and I doubt that. They do different things. She was powered by the literal power stone.
    Quibble; the Tesseract is the Space Stone. The purple one Ronan had is the Power Stone.

Still, explains why the Space Stone is able to produce cosmic energies.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Box Office has been updated, and all can say is Disney has been smart with their marketing after here I was thinking it was silly of them.. Create some controversy in the marketing get people wondering all about it, then distribute the movie to as many cinema's as possible and then rake in the moolah..

How things will be going forward remains to be seen..

What is interesting is that of the total movie goers 55% we male and 45% were female, and of those 64% were 25 and over..

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4493&p=s.htm

Captain Marvel

Domestic Total as of Mar. 10, 2019: $153,000,000 (Estimate)
    Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: March 8, 2019
    Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 8 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $153,000,000 33.6%
    + Foreign: $302,000,000 66.4%

= Worldwide: $455,000,000

Domestic Summary
    Opening Weekend: $153,000,000
    (#1 rank, 4,310 theaters, $35,499 average)
    % of Total Gross: 100.0%
    > View All Weekends
    Widest Release: 4,310 theaters
    In Release: 3 days / 0.4 weeks
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...arvel2018a.htm
    Last edited by grexly75; 2019-03-11 at 02:33 AM.

I dunno about Vision being stronger though. That would only be true if you assume all stones are equally powerful and I doubt that. They do different things. She was powered by the literal power stone.
    Wasn’t it the space stone? Hence FTL travel. I thought the power stone was in Guardians.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people think Captain Marvel is powerful wait till they introduce Adam Warlock, that is if he has anything close to his real powers sans the soul gem.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    If people think Captain Marvel is powerful wait till they introduce Adam Warlock, that is if he has anything close to his real powers sans the soul gem.
    Introduce whoever they like.

After end game.

If Cap America gets outstaged by Cap Marvel in end game im gonna puke

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m pretty sure his death won’t be getting “outstaged”.
    I know its coming and im still not ready.

Chris Evans was perfect casting for Cap. Will be hard to replace.

The one plot hole that actually bothers me is that Thor didn't just go to Titan and fight Thanos before he got the last two stones. He almost fucked him up when he had all six (he probably would have if he went for the head) so I imagine he would completely shit on him if he went to Titan instead of Earth.
    It is not a plot hole though. Stormbreaker can summon the bifrost. The bifrost is only connected to the 9 realms, which Titan is not part of but Earth is. Thor also knows that Thanos and his "children" are after the mind stone and the time stone, both of which were on earth. (Until strange got beamed up and went to Titan with Tony Stark and Peter Parker)

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He doesn't have to.

If it's gonna take her 4-6 weeks to get home from Kree space, and Fury keeps turning the beacon off after a day or three, Danvers would never make it close to Earth. This was the first time the beacon stayed active and she kept coming.

It's worth noting that all the above is well within 90s-era pager technological limits, aside from the range thing, which they explain in the film.
    She'd have to be a lot farther out than Kree space to take weeks to reach Earth, they got there in a day or two without a FTL ship in the movie.

She made a real-time communications device from a Radioshack and a payphone, I don't think 90s era technological limits exist.

It appears she shows up relatively soon after the snap. It’s not hours, but also not years.
    I'm going to see it tomorrow but what's been posted about the mid credits sequence for CM didn't indicate that. Hmmm. She almost certainly hadn't shown up when Scott pulled up to the gate of the Avengers compound in the mid credits sequence for IW in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Introduce whoever they like.

After end game.

If Cap America gets outstaged by Cap Marvel in end game im gonna puke
    Adam Warlock has already been introduced to some degree in the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 after credits scene.

Also how exactly is Cap'n America supposed to not get outstaged against Thanos? He has super strength and is inspirational, that's about the extent of it.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Adam Warlock has already been introduced to some degree in the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 after credits scene.

Also how exactly is Cap'n America supposed to not get outstaged against Thanos? He has super strength and is inspirational, that's about the extent of it.
    He was name dropped in guardians 2. Thanos was name dropped/introduced for how long?

And Cap was underused in infinity war, he should have a strong arc in end game. Its not always about power level. If it was black widow, hawkeye, falcon, nick fury whoever else is human would be killed in milliseconds into any of the battles in any film.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-03-11 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The jump points allow for ftl travel. The drive would simply allow for point to point travel in a way that they don’t. Think of it like a helicopter vs a car. The car has to follow roads. The helicopter just goes from a to b.
    To expand on this point, one of the central maguffins in Captain Marvel is the light-speed drive Mar-Vell was trying to build. She wasn't crashed on Earth, she was trying to build something NEW. A drive that could travel AT or possibly FASTER than light. The jump drives we see the Kree (and earlier, the Guardians of the Galaxy and such) use are "FTL", but function by wormholing; they skip intervening space, and only work at "jump points", mentioned in the film. The drive Mar-Vell was creating? Could let you go ANYWHERE, limited only by time and fuel. Find a habitable planet WITHOUT a jump point in its system, and you've got a refuge the Skrulls can use, because the Kree won't ever find them (without similar tech, at least).

When we see them leave, it's via FTL travel, NOT the jump drive. The jump drive is nearly instant, minus some maneuvering, the light-speed drive isn't. And Danvers' own travel is the same principle; it's the same core powering her, after all. She's got a travel time, unless she uses a vehicle with a jump drive, and even there, we've seen that those drives can take hours to get you places (in the film, they cite 22 hours for the Kree's transit at one point, heading to Earth).

Just got finished with the movie and all I gotta say is

HOLY FUCK!!!!! This movie has shown me just how completely PATHETICly STUPIDly and ASSININGly GULLABILE the world has become with the age of instant gratification of Tweets videos articles and posts.

My old company has a business phrase "content in Context". The WORLD needs to understand the meaning of this phrase. Everyone grabbed at the Bait and everyone got hooked and suckered.

I tell my son all the time "The person who says something about anything just to say something, never has anything worth saying at all". Everyone so quick to say something about feminism, sexism, misogyny and all those other buzz words ate the bait and it was all for nothing.

Whoever was the Social Media marketing team for this movie.... they deserve a MILLION dollar raise for getting this to be the most talked about movie, the biggest con job of getting the masses to push them in the direction they wanted and market the movie with little work as possible.

NOW on to the movie. It was a great ride. I enjoyed the story and its pacing. It was fast but easy to keep up with.

The plot was very easy to see through though, knowing her past and her present to see where her future would be. We also got a good idea that the Kree are not the "Heros" of the galaxy from the seasons of Agents of Shield. So it was not that hard to see how events turned out. Also knowing Ronin before hand from GotG did not help things either.

The action was decent, the end battle was fun to watch, good eye-candy. It could have used a bit more fisticuffs i think. That was a STUPID way of telling the tale of Fury's eye patch >.<

We got alot of shoutouts to Agents of Shield and the Avengers Initiative too which was really cool to see. This movie did a good job tieing into the first Avengers film. I liked it

I think that this was a solid movie all told. But the final end credit scene has me scratching my head now. I do not know if spoiler tags are allowed but those who saw the movie know what I mean and I am now wondering how the events in Infinity War were able to happen with that scene.

Everyone was bitching about her lack of a smile, unless they did millions in re-shoots, yeah....... the world took the bait.
    Everyone bitching about lack of emotions, again unless there were millions in re-shoots yeah....... the world took the bait. Considering her background and her time with the Kree, I expected her to have a lack of them but she did good in what I saw.
    Everyone bitching about the diversity bullshit, and the white male bullshit,yeah....... the world took the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Whoever was the Social Media marketing team for this movie.... they deserve a MILLION dollar raise for getting this to be the most talked about movie, the biggest con job of getting the masses to push them in the direction they wanted and market the movie with little work as possible.
    Did literally anyone but the anti-SJW butthurt brigade care about the evil feminist agenda apparently being pushed by the movie? Somehow, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Really, all was done was Brie Larson called for more diverse journalism.

The butt-hurt manbabies did the rest, really.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."