Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warlock Discord: Do you use it?

I'm curious to know whether or not you use discord, why/why not, how you use it, and what you like and dislike about it. And if you don't use it at all, what other source(s) do you use?

For me I find it very much a mixed bag of: useful info on traits, endless memes, trolling/smart asses, parroting things not understood by discord rats, useful links, and some useful/clever strats on bosses/mythic+. I always thought this of MMO Champ tbh: really mixed, mostly bad but some useful stuff. Does warlock discord seem better or worse to you? Most discussions on there I've found are pretty obnoxious; so I almost never contribute to a discussion. I only read.

I do very much appreciate the work the theorycrafters do there and on LOSS. But why is it that every time i jump in there I feel like I'm eavesdropping on a cult?

(And I get the sense this post is gonna hurt some feelings)

Just musings.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you. Way too many memes. I remember before Legion came out and i played warrior, Discord used to be niche and not that popular. It was much more helpful and in depth. It has become too mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better than MMO-C, that's for sure.

At least has actual decent people who know wtf they are doing and up to date info as well.

I find MMO-C to be much worse nowadays here, just a bunch of whiners and people who can't play shit to save their life arguing about stuff they don't understand.

Its usefull if you just read the pins by the helpful people and ignore the toxic chat of the regulars and even some of the people with colored names.

Never interact with these people as they are not worth your time. (I'm talking mostly about the Affliction Channel btw)
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2018-09-18 at 09:02 AM.

Way too many puffy man titty nerds in there licking each others butt hole but othere than that its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    arguing about stuff they don't understand.
    This is probably the most frustrating thing for me, aside from the blatant disrespect people give for no reason on MMO-C and discord.

Humility just seems to be a thing rare in the WOW community. It makes jumping into convos frustrating.

Deleted
    Pins are useful but the chat itself is a cesspool that I don't have the patience to wade through.

Makes me miss ElitistJerks's clinical conditions back in it's prime.

Nowdays I just check pins and go to LOSS if I need to see something.

There are a lot of good guys there (or were at some time) that you can start and keep a nice conversation going, but the ammount of annoying people meddling in is much worse.
    Basically Pyro, Gahddo, Woz and some other few keep that going, but only for info. I rather talk in here than there.
    Thanks for the heads up!

10+ Year Old Account

At least has actual decent people who know wtf they are doing and up to date info as well.

I find MMO-C to be much worse nowadays here, just a bunch of whiners and people who can't play shit to save their life arguing about stuff they don't understand.
    Oh bugger off then mate. No one wants to hear you sprout this shite. Many people cheered when you were banned and so did I.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    Oh bugger off then mate. No one wants to hear you sprout this shite. Many people cheered when you were banned and so did I.
    Someone needs to keep bullshit in check, although I am more and more convinced it is akin to casting pearls before swine, so I bother less and less with it.

It's not a big loss to be banned here really and I won't really cry a river if that happens. There is no useful information here, no decent and active people to talk with, just a bunch of unmoderated bullshit, dev conspiracy theories and green-parsing people generally whining about how everything is shit. In Discord at least there is some moderation the moment people start bullshiting too much - here - nobody gives a damn.

- - - Updated - - -

In-between pepes and ignorant bads sprouting nonsense unchecked, I'll take pepes.

I genuinely don't get the attitude some people have on the various message boards - none of this matters enough to get shirty about and some perspective is needed.

The pepes annoy me and Discord seems hyper cliquey.

The information is decent if you are willing to wade through the junk.

To be upfront I am one of the people with a coloured name so yes I spend a fair bit of time on the Discord.

Post SO nerfs the Affy channel has been very hectic and at least when I have paid attention generally not been a pleasant place to be. People panic, others like to feed the fire, people clash and yes the same question gets asked 50 times per hour.

However, there is a whole another side of Discord where people actually learn stuff or just to be a little social. There are many people, coloured names and not, who take time out of their day to genuinely help others. I wish there was a lot more of this and not of the negative stuff, it is a losing battle at times.

I actually really miss elitist jerks. I thought their no nonsense was great. They actually had expectations and enforced them pretty well.

You're one of the good ones Spikey, on here and the Discord. I've always appreciated your approach to posts and convos.

This is really just a minor point about Discord; but one thing I'm pretty convinced of after every single nerf when discord goes nuts and people spaz about Q's being asked over and over again: I think people get off on saying "OMG just check the pin WTF". I swear people wait just to read the same question so they can be one of those guys who are apparently pissed at reading the same question. And yeah, I'd say this is true of those in charge as well. It is what it is I guess, but I don't feel sorry in the slightest for people implying they are frustrated by the same question over and over again. I think they get off on it actually.

But ya Spikey I've definitely appreciated some of the very helpful discussion there, especially the work that goes on behind the scenes and the pinned info. It can be an excellent resource.

MMO-C: I don't always like the tone or the details of the responses; but I get Gaidax's frustrations with this site. It's horribly monitored. The infractions are so inconsistent as to be inexplicable and pretty much anyone can spout off any kind of misinformation based on their little anecdote that it makes having any kind of real convo pretty impossible. I can't tell you how many times I've started to type out a response to people on these forums only to erase the entire thing and think 'what's the point, the post i'm replying to is so far off base, so clueless, so emotional, so disconnected from reality I don't think this will do any good'. I've had people respond to my posts, or at least that's what they've claimed to be doing only to find that their response has pretty much nothing to do with mine or actually supports my post instead of disagreeing with it.

And people here disagree I swear just for the sake of disagreeing. Like someone could say the most obviously true thing and what happens? Some jack ass comes along and purposely tries to 1 up that post by pointing out something imagined to be relevant but isn't. I think for me the most frustrating thing, and I think where Gaidax loses his mind the most, is that there are far too many people on here who aren't simply wrong (cause that's perfectly OK, we're here to learn anyway), it's that they don't even know how to think critically and coherently. Like, you can disagree with Gaidax, his point, his tone, whatever. And sometimes I do; but even his posts where I think he's got it wrong, someone will go make a response to him and inadvertently give evidence that supports his view; but they are so cognitively deficient they can't even identify what would count as evidence for or against his view. Or they misrepresent him altogether.

I don't even wanna get started on people's inability to link stats from warcraftlogs. I could teach a course in statistical fallacies based on the warlock forums alone. But I guess that's where we are at with people's knowledge/education and the lack of site monitoring? I'm not trying to insult people here, truly. But for those of us who have some background in statistical evidence, the posts here are more often than not cringe worthy.

And then there's the "ok show me where this happened" posts (as I'm sure someone is just craving to post in reply, show me where someone misused a stat from warcraft logs or didn't happen!). Yah, I'm gonna go take time out of my day to do the work for you and teach you some basics about the nature of evidence...no thanks, I do it for a living, not going to in my spare time. Related to this, there are far too many posts where the person either plays dumb or genuinely is dumb/ignorant and their questioning amounts to questioning the colour of the sky. On a site like elitist jerks these people were banned asap for asking stupid questions or playing dumb or wasting everyone's time. I appreciate that they do this as well on Discord, which to me is one huge advantage of it. So I know the discussion CAN be a lot better than it is on MMO-C and Discord. But I guess it takes a lot of effort? Consistency. And I guess the for profit sites really won't be monitored this way.

I'm sure there's this attitude of, "well then just leave" by posters, as they've said to Gaidax. I'd say be careful what you wish for. MMO-C has been abandoned by a lot of theorycrafters. Trying to knock off the few remaining ones, even if their personalities/views conflict with yours, won't serve this community well.

I think the discord format is worse for meaningful convo, but its great for people who enjoy twitch chat.

MMO-C was definitely a better source of info when the theorycrafting etc was being done here, but that's long since gone. People mostly just come here to complain these days, with the occasional person looking for info.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Let's all go back to Skype.

I noticed quite a few of the discord "resource" pages flat tell you to go to icyveins now instead of the old break down of the spec with data and such.

The forums have always been full of trolls and whiny people, but the discords have devolved to that as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    The lock discord is fine. I visit occasionally, the amount ofpeople who can't be fucked to check pins before posting a question that's been asked literally 10 seconds ago is incredibly high. I'd start to get snarky too if I was a mod there.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Someone needs to keep bullshit in check, although I am more and more convinced it is akin to casting pearls before swine, so I bother less and less with it.

It's not a big loss to be banned here really and I won't really cry a river if that happens. There is no useful information here, no decent and active people to talk with, just a bunch of unmoderated bullshit, dev conspiracy theories and green-parsing people generally whining about how everything is shit. In Discord at least there is some moderation the moment people start bullshiting too much - here - nobody gives a damn.

- - - Updated - - -

In-between pepes and ignorant bads sprouting nonsense unchecked, I'll take pepes.
    Then why do you visit this forum? genuine question, if you dislike it and the people here so much why keep posting multiple times each day?
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordaine View Post
    I noticed quite a few of the discord "resource" pages flat tell you to go to icyveins now instead of the old break down of the spec with data and such.

The forums have always been full of trolls and whiny people, but the discords have devolved to that as well.
    Warlock Icy Veins is outright shit and is frowned upon every time it's mentioned. There is no mention of it in Warlock Discord resources.

Icy Veins has some decent info, but not for warlocks, because it's not maintained by an actively playing and involved player.

This, for example, is one of the benefits of Discord - anytime someone asks whether source is good or not he gets instant reply and in this case reply would be negative.

I also do not understand this whole "wade through shit" notion - everything you need is in pins and resources and it's actually up to date, you are not forced to participate in chat.

- - - Updated - - -

As a whole this place here has died out, because everyone decent moved out and Discord is the place for actual useful stuff nowadays.

Warlock Icy Veins is outright shit and is frowned upon every time it's mentioned. There is no mention of it in Warlock Discord resources.

Icy Veins has some decent info, but not for warlocks, because it's not maintained by an actively playing and involved player.

This, for example, is one of the benefits of Discord - anytime someone asks whether source is good or not he gets instant reply and in this case reply would be negative.

I also do not understand this whole "wade through shit" notion - everything you need is in pins and resources and it's actually up to date, you are not forced to participate in chat.

- - - Updated - - -

As a whole this place here has died out, because everyone decent moved out and Discord is the place for actual useful stuff nowadays.
    Sorry, I meant other classes. Failure of clarification on my part.
    The dk one is a great example. It used to have well maintained google docs, now it is quite literally links to wowhead and icyveins for the resources.