Poll: Favorite 'PvP' era

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    For arenas, i prefered the tbc iteration.
    For bgs, i preferd the wrath one.
    Why? because in bgs you generally want a higher tempo were players kill faster and die faster. Else tanks an healers simply become to strong at defending any given point.
    But in arenas its the other way around, you want ppl to be hard to kill. you want a kill to happen when your team gets everything in perfectly. You dont want a game to end because a single dps got to freecast for 5 sec.
    Problem with wotlk bgs is, it added two stupid bgs with machines that were not fun at all, just increasing the time of invites.

Thus TBC had the best bgs, stuff died fast there, too. and no op rets/dks.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2018-09-21 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    Wotlk with engineering obliterated, otherwise MoP it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcarsenal View Post
    MoP by far. PVP balance was probably the best its ever been(IMO), and the gearing system was great. Reforging allowed for a lot of choice as well. And gemming was nice, being able to decide if u wanted to go for extra resil, pvp power, primary stat, etc I felt the game had the most freedom of choice and variability to play styles without anything being too OP. Also I liked that gear was accessible to all, I personally believe that everybody should have access to the same gear(at least ILVL) regardless of rating/skill. Then pvp is an even playing field. The reward for higher ratings/skills was transmogs and special recolors/enchants, and also you got the gear faster.

Lemme be clear tho I hated templates. I just think allowing people who are higher rated to have better weapons/gear sort of goes against the philosophy of competitive gameplay. Like in a shooter everybody's M16 is the same...its just how good you are with it that determines the victor.

That being said I have also been 2200+ many seasons so I have been on side that outgears and stomps people, and although its fun...for rated pvp I think everybody should have access to the same ilvl equipment, even if it it takes a bit more time for some that others.
    Wasn't mop the ret/hunter/healer one shotting people in 3gcd expansion?

7+ Year Old Account
    Aside from how bursty and unbalanced everything was I liked wrath the best.
    The structure and design of how to gear, arena participation, class uniqueness.
    All of it was great, now that I think about it I actually miss how fast paced it was.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Deleted
    I have had most fun in MoP cause so many of my friends play at that time, we got to 2170 with our ragtag RBG group and pvp gear set was different. But from gear acquiring and balancing point of view WoD was better unique gear at 2k at least for first season and it was more balanced than MoP. Legion was the most balanced pvp xpac cause of the stat template but reward wise it was awful. So yeah balance and reward wise best pvp xpac was WoD but most fun wise MoP for me.

It's hard for me to just pick one since I've played a different class for almost every xpac it feels like...
    TBC - I mained holy pala and didn't really have any alts...
    WotLK - I think frost mage might've been my favorite.
    Cata - Fire Mage probably.
    MoP - Not even sure what I played in MoP, I don't think I really had a main and I played around with mage rogue and priest so not sure...
    WoD - Shadow Priest
    Legion - Shadow Priest
    BfA - I really wanted shadow to be my favorite here, but it feels like we were just left in a weird spot after legion and I think some of that were due to changes made to make us more attractive in dungeons. It's still really fun, but I feel like SP is just not the way I want it to be so for now it's disc.

Overall though... Keeping in mind that PvP has always been a hobby and not my main pasttime because I never met any friends that love PvP apart from 1 person that quit in Cata. But I mean, me and him had alot of fun in Cataclysm, and I hate for me to say this, but I think I had the most fun in Cata when it came to PvP, which is weird because I really didn't like Cataclysm as an expansion, I think some of it was due to the changes it brought to the world, but Fire Mage was so much fun and I actually had friends that I could play with. Now they're all just in their own little bubble and I rarely play with anyone I actually know.

Hm, never thought I'd say that Cata was my favourite expansion. But when it comes to PvP I guess it was just because of how much fun I had with Fire Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    Problem with wotlk bgs is, it added two stupid bgs with machines that were not fun at all, just increasing the time of invites.

Thus TBC had the best bgs, stuff died fast there, too. and no op rets/dks.
    strand of the ancients was fun before they started messing up with bombs and destroyers in further xpacs

at least it had some tactics instead of bfa's bg brawl

i must say wotlk... even ele shamans were good... everyone was good it seems

TBC hands down. Sooooo many fun hours spent in Halaa with my shaman. Back when you could knock people off their flyers. I would get a group of players to chase me then fly up to one of the floating land masses and when they'd get close enough BOOM Thunderstorm. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    You've listed two possible healing debuff options. One that existed in WotLK and one that didn't.

My post mentioned a healing debuff that didn't exist in WotLK.

I believe in you Mr. Knolan, you can work this out!
    I thought you might have missed that they did exist on WotLK and, if that was the case, you could re-judge your opinion =p
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    hands down mop. move while casting incinerate, mw monk, arms war..had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyX View Post
    Wasn't mop the ret/hunter/healer one shotting people in 3gcd expansion?
    I think that was just in the first couple weeks before they realized zoo stable(i dont remember the name) was bugged and the 78 pets did full dmg instead of a fraction.

MoP, when bring the player, not the class was the motto.

Well, every expansion had horrible things going for it.

- Vanilla was just godhorrible and it was stuck in old MMORPG sense (no DRs on CC, Polymorph lasted up to a minute)
    - TBC saw some nice niches, but there were still crucial old MMORPG elements that ruined it - on top of some classes being broken (hello Druids, Warlocks and Rogues)
    - WotLK super fast-paced and very unforgiving grounds, PvE had too much of an impact though
    - Cataclysm first season was dominated by Warriors, S10 was arguably the best season balance-wise, but they ruined it with sudden MMR change, S11 saw the dawn of Triple DPS, which was just godhorrible to play against
    - MoP, unsure why the praises are there as this was the culmination of way too many instant casts, 1-macro BM Hunters dominating and Healers were CC'd (most of them unavoidable) for more than half of the arena match. (I remember watching a Tournament and they had "Time Spent CC'd" stat there, match lasted 8 minutes, the healer was CC'd for ALMOST 7 minutes - the only reason that team survived is because DKs were broken)
    - WoD - the dawn of chess-game arenas, You pop CD for their CD, they get CDs faster, if you don't kill, you're dead - it was heavily dominated by rock/paper comps
    - Legion - turned Dragonslayer, dunno

If I had to rank them, it would be: Cata > WotLK > MoP > WoD > TBC > Vanilla (and wherever Legion is in there)

That's my 13 cents at least.

I voted TBC. Not for balance reasons, but because it was so easy to get the best gear for PvP, arena was new and you saw all sorts of comps, and I just happened to be on a very balanced and active server for wPvP.

I've done casual PvP since TBC. So far the Bfa wPvP has been amazing (alliance here). Having so much fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    why people voted more wotlk and not mop?

logic?

i get that dks and paladins were great, but thats about it......1k winter was fail, timless isle were great fun times, pvp power was a great idea, next to reslience, too, class design was at its peak in mop.
    Because Wrath was miles better, MoP was nowhere near as good in terms of spec viability and comp variance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Players that didn't / don't do much rated pvp would have voted wotlk. MoP was definitely the best, by far, but ppl that didn't arena look back on wg (which was really fun), and focus on that for what pvp in wrath was.
    Na people that did high rated PvP voted Wrath because that's when it was the best. PvP didn't dwindle down to nothingness in player participation in and after Cata for no reason...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Nah MoP was shit because class diversity was gone and cc was too easy to land because it was all instant. In MoP every melee cleave was the same, every hunter cleave was the same, every spellcleave was the same and it was boring as hell to queue. Back then I also played shaman and they completely fucked up the class design. Resto was basically a glorified healing stream totem, ele was about lava burst procs procing and enha was about pushing ascendance and ele blast and hoping for a oneshot crit. fml
    Exactly, I agree. Ofcourse it's all opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath, Cata (before DS), and late MoP all had very good class design/pvp imo. OP legos and trinkets could be an issue at times, but the gameplay still felt much better. BGs and then RBGs used to be the main thing I did in WoW, but I don't enjoy them as much nowadays.

legion, the pvp template were a godsend, no stupid disparity inpower, only skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    I never got into high level pvp so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt but... I really liked Cata's as a warrior. Wrath felt really good as a Ret paladin too. Beginning of mop was completely lol as a warrior. Roll proc and completely shut down every caster in the game with gag order + interrupts. I think I got to 1800 in BC? We were going with 2 sl/sl warlocks in 2s but it stopped being fun after a while and that was towards the end of the expac. My favorite was cata though.
    Damn man, really? Warriors were poor for all of Cata apart from the start. It was fun obliterating geared people with ease with Reck and Avatar but it was obvious it was going to get nerfed. After that there was very little reason to pick a Warrior over a DK or other classes because they hit like wet noodles. I played my Warrior for the whole expac and did enjoy it, but I didn't do Arenas competitively on it because of this reason. I think Reckful also stopped playing his as much due to this too.