Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie AVENGERS: ENDGAME™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    TV series "and winter solider"

so thats a no to solo film then, sounds about right. I guess all future marvel flicks are space/Ragnarok comedy with cap OP now
    I'm going to say they're testing the waters and being safe with a team movie. To be honest, they did just complete a major characters's story and, a lot like RDJ, Evans fit the role amazingly well.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Not wasting any time...

Disney announced today that Avengers: Endgame will be released on Digital on July 30th and on Blu-ray on August 13th, making that a fairly short wait between the film's late April theatrical release and mid-summer home video release.

6 hours ago
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Endgames total worldwide box office is now $2,749.6 million, bringing it above Avatars total box office for its initial release.

Endgame is now the highest grossing movie (in its initial release) ever!!
    With todays money, Avatar made 3.2 Billion dollars (Titanic 3.8 B). Let me know when Avatar gets even 3 Billion...I don't understand why you guys keep persisting in this fantasy that endgame will become #1...like you are expect to get a trophy or something..and who even bothered to speak of initial release as some metric anyone gave 2 shits about before this movie?

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/av...202131547/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Not wasting any time...

- - - Updated - - -

With todays money, Avatar made 3.2 Billion dollars (Titanic 3.8 B). Let me know when Avatar gets even 3 Billion...I don't understand why you guys keep persisting in this fantasy that endgame will become #1...like you are expect to get a trophy or something..and who even bothered to speak of initial release as some metric anyone gave 2 shits about before this movie?

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/av...202131547/amp/
    And if you take off the multiplier for everyone having to pay extra for 3D for Avatar then it goes right back down again. It's not just inflation and 3D though; the entertainment industry is now so far removed from what it was in Avatar and Titanics days that reaching a number like Endgames today is a serious feat.

To be honest, in talking about "top movie" I think Avatar barely even counts in the competition. Avatar was a technical showcase of a brand new technology. More like one of these 3D Disney rides on tour, with a bare-bones story worked in to show off the 3D.

As a movie in its own right, it doesn't hold up at all. It says a lot how shockingly little impact it's had on modern culture as a sci-fi/fantasy - No cosplay, little merchandise, no memes, no forums theorycrafting all the little details. I doubt many people could even name you two characters from the movie. The new Disneyland ride is the most anyone's even talked about it in 10 years. Few people seem to even really care about the sequels.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2019-06-26 at 10:05 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

...and yet, we all should remember how much Avatar put a lot more science in science-fiction.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    And if you take off the multiplier for everyone having to pay extra for 3D for Avatar then it goes right back down again. It's not just inflation and 3D though; the entertainment industry is now so far removed from what it was in Avatar and Titanics days that reaching a number like Endgames today is a serious feat.

To be honest, in talking about "top movie" I think Avatar barely even counts in the competition. Avatar was a technical showcase of a brand new technology. More like one of these 3D Disney rides on tour, with a bare-bones story worked in to show off the 3D.

As a movie in its own right, it doesn't hold up at all. It says a lot how shockingly little impact it's had on modern culture as a sci-fi/fantasy - No cosplay, little merchandise, no memes, no forums theorycrafting all the little details. I doubt many people could even name you two characters from the movie. The new Disneyland ride is the most anyone's even talked about it in 10 years. Few people seem to even really care about the sequels.
    Who said u could take off monies for 3D? You simply decided that would be neat for yourself, sorry, then u would remove it from endgame too, imax, iSense costs too etc.

You cannot simply cherry pick. Counting for inflation is the closest to level playing field as it gets.

No forum theory-crafting huh n memes? No toys? Well you could say the same for most top movies, from titanic to gone with the wind.
    Avatar is a movie, Endgame is a postcard to previous movies instead of a movie in its own right. It should be the very last in the mcu to be used as a comparison to actual stand-alone movies, it's really sad that ur marvel fanboi'ism over-rides ur critical thinking.

As for avatar names, not its strong point, either mediocre names like jake sully or weird alienish smurf names. Thanos is so much easier to remember. Neytiri, so much uninteresting than a name like Pocahontas.
    The Omaticaya clan, that's a mouthful.
    Pandora, that's a good name n the world is what draws people, fleshed out really well

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, tons of science with the unobtanium and people being resurrected by trees. Let alone floating islands in the sky.
    Endgame already beat Avatar's initial release. We'll see if this re-release puts them over the top or not. We're already pretty close to the digital and blu ray releases.
    Okay, I get that most people here prefer the stupidity of Endgame over Avatar.
    But selective memory just to shit on Avatar...The Real Science of 'Avatar'

Avatar gets graded on the science

Credit to where it's due. Most science fiction films rarely focus on science.
    And Cameron has always loved science. (In particular ocean science. He's literally one of the few to dive into the Mariana Trench.)

Let's not delude ourselves; Avatar pulled in the most in it's initial run when you account for inflation. Given the decline of the cinema, that reputation is pretty much cemented as I doubt any film will come anywhere near as close.

I'm interested to see what the drop off for MCU tickets will be now that the Thanos arc is finally over, the original characters that held down that story and presented the MCU in 2011 are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'm interested to see what the drop off for MCU tickets will be now that the Thanos arc is finally over, the original characters that held down that story and presented the MCU in 2011 are gone.
    Yeah, for the time being I don't imagine a huge success for the rest of the franchise from what they've planned so far, unless we get some nice surprises as GotG1 was (nobody expected that, ended up being really good). I only see Spider-Man movies to hit the box-office tops as it has always done, but the Strange 2, Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, all this seems meh. I wouldn't bet anything on GotG3 either given the tons of drama it had with James Gunn and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    I wouldn't bet anything on GotG3 either given the tons of drama it had with James Gunn and all.
    Most of the moviegoing audience won't care, if they're even in the know at all. They'll just see "oh another Guardian's film" and they'll go, unless the word of mouth is really bad.

5+ Year Old Account
    Lol

Won't get the new stuff in my country, they couldn't be bothered

I just thought the whole thing about how the team tries to stop thanos and then captain marvel appears and just makes them all look weak really didn't do the other characters justice.

34M left. So fucking close.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Lol Disney sure is thirsty. It's not even adjusted for inflation, geez. I'll never defend Avatar, it's the most overrated blue CGI piece of shit ever, but End Game isn't even better than Infinity War to get this nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Lol Disney sure is thirsty. It's not even adjusted for inflation, geez. I'll never defend Avatar, it's the most overrated blue CGI piece of shit ever, but End Game isn't even better than Infinity War to get this nod.
    Heh, they should have just added Infinity War to the start of Endgame as extra footage and done a 5 hour triple-fee movie to really make the Marvel fans pay.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Did you see the netflix shows? They were dark. Hopefully this can be the same
    /shrug. Pretty obvious its just to help their streaming service compete with Netflix

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...lady-gaga/amp/

The much-discussed and debated re-issue of Avengers: Endgame earned a perfectly okay $5.5 million over the weekend in North America. Its tenth weekend went up around 189% from last weekend’s $1.9 million gross. Its per-screen-average went from $2,018 per-theater in 985 auditoriums to $2,716 per-theater in 2,025 auditoriums. So, yeah, it got a bump for sure, but it wasn’t exactly the earthquake that hardcore MCU fans were hoping for. The film has now earned $841.3 million in North America from that initial $357 million domestic debut in late April.

That gives Avengers 4 a 2.35x weekend-to-final multiplier. That’s still the lowest multiplier for a $200 million-plus opener, but (obviously) the leggiest run ever for a $300 million-plus opener, and it’s now just above Iron Man 3 ($409 million/$174 million) and just below Avengers: Age of Ultron ($459 million/$191 million) and Iron Man 2 ($312 million/$128 million) in terms of legs. At the very least, the reissue will let the Russo Bros-directed epic avoid becoming one of the very least-leggy MCU movies in domestic release.

Since the movie never actually left theaters, you can argue that this still counts under the initial theatrical release. That only really matters if it moves up more than a spot on the inflation-adjusted list, as Return of the Jedi‘s $847 million adjusted-for-inflation cume includes it share of theatrical re-releases. When that happens, it’ll bee 13th-biggest adjusted gross for an initial theatrical release and the 16th-biggest counting (now including (The Empire Strikes Back, 101 Dalmatians and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) any and and all reissues.

But, no, it’s not going to pass the inflation-adjusted domestic totals for Avatar, be it the initial theatrical release ($749 million in 2009/$866 million adjusted) or the whole cume ($760 million/$877 million). The overseas gross of this “new” version of the movie (with includes an unfinished deleted scene, a Stan Lee tribute and the first few minutes of Spider-Man: Far From Home) was just $2.3 million. With a $7.5 million global gross and a new $2.761 billion cume, this reissue won’t be enough to get past Avatar‘s $2.788 billion worldwide cume.

5+ Year Old Account
    Now I'm glad I didn't miss anything..

but James Cameron took a very different approach to Marvel. For the Avatar re-release, Cameron went back to material he'd cut from the finished film and completed its CGI (at a cost of $1 million a minute). He then stitched nine minutes of new footage back into the movie, meaning the re-release had a sense of value to it. The new version was so long that the end credits had to be cut down, because at the time the IMAX platter had a maximum of 170 minutes.

Contrast this with Avengers: Endgame, which features only a single unfinished deleted scene that runs after the credits. It's an alternate introduction to the Professor Hulk character, showing the Hulk operating as a superhero and diving into a burning building. The CGI is low quality; the flames lack definition, the Hulk's mouth doesn't move at all when Mark Ruffalo says his lines, and at one point he pulls out a mobile phone that's literally just a gray rectangular block. It's easy to see why this single deleted scene was cut, because it doesn't add anything at all to the story.

Making matters worse, this wasn't the deleted scene audiences wanted to see at all. Avengers: Endgame cut one of Iron Man's most important moments, a metaphysical experience he went through after snapping his fingers and defeating Thanos. In this scene, which deliberately paralleled Thanos' experience in Avengers: Infinity War, Tony Stark found his consciousness transferred into the Soul World inside the Soul Stone. There, Tony found himself face to face with his daughter Morgan - but an older Morgan played by 13 Reasons Why star Katherine Langford. The Russos cut this scene because test audiences found it confusing, but the people who are likely to turn up to an Avengers: Endgame re-release aren't your average moviegoers; they're the hardcore Marvel fans who are eager to see this particular scene, and wouldn't be confused by it at all. Had Marvel included this, rather than the Professor Hulk scene, they'd have had a far more positive reaction.

Finally, even the Spider-Man: Far From Home clip was disappointing as well. It's just the pre-credits roll, in which Nick Fury and Maria Hill head to the remote Mexican town of Ixtenco and meet Mysterio; it lasts barely a minute, and almost all the footage has been shown in trailers and TV spots, meaning it contained absolutely no surprises. Marvel would have been smart to do something special, something that got fans buzzing ahead of the imminent release of Spider-Man: Far From Home, but instead this just fell flat.

Again, the remarkable thing about this is that it didn't need to be this way. Far From Home director Jon Watts has confirmed that some scenes from the trailers were actually cut, showing Peter Parker getting ready for his European trip. These scenes all looked pretty cool, and included an action sequence in which Spider-Man took down a crime gang in New York and traded banter with the police before excitedly telling them he's going on vacation. According to Watts, they'll be released on the Blu-Ray as a "little short film" called "Peter's To-Do List," which sounds rather like one of the old Marvel one-shots. There's absolutely no reason Marvel couldn't have screened this at the re-release of Avengers: Endgame; it's already been shot, after all, and it wouldn't have given away any spoilers because it happens before Peter has even headed out on his European trip.

There's nothing wrong with doing a re-release, but the additional content has to make the rewatch worth it. Over the last decade, Marvel has built a strong and positive relationship with their fanbase, but the Avengers: Endgame re-release frankly feels as though they've taken advantage of their most devoted fans. It feels cheap and cynical, and strangely desperate, as though Marvel really felt Avengers: Endgame wouldn't have been enough of a hit if it didn't dethrone Avatar. That's not a good look for the House of Ideas, and it seems fitting that they failed to achieve their goal. Hopefully Marvel never try anything quite like this again.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    /shrug. Pretty obvious its just to help their streaming service compete with Netflix
    None of the Netflix material or anything that dark will appear on Disney+. They have made it clear that their service is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is what I've been asking myself, why on Earth do people even care about this? In what way do Disney making money no matter what enrich their lives? Is it just complete and utter fanboyism for a specific series of movies?
    I think its a matter of opinion on which movie deserves it more. I've never made it all the way through Avatar so I'm confused as to why it did so well in the box office.