Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is fire mage viable at all?

I just got to 120 yesterday with my mage. I lvled him as frost, since fire just seemed really weak to lvl with. I have some low lvl azerite gear for both frost and fire, but I notice frost is far better in dungeons than fire. I know with the new blizz system they want us to equip highest ilvl, but it feels weird not stacking crit, since I often get 5 fireballs without a crit. I get procs faster with frost than I get crits as fire. Feelsbad. Does fire get better with gear? I see no one playing it, but it has always been my favorite spec. Anyone tried fire with gear? Is it decent? Right now it seems frost outperforms fire on both aoe and ST. I don't feel like playing fire if I won't get into raids and m+ because the spec is bad.

Sidenote, which spec is best of frost and arcane? I quite liked arcane in Legion, but haven't given it a go in BFA. Is it still fun?

Fire does get better with gear, although for me that's more to do with how it feels to play than raw damage output, which overall feels very low at the minute

If you ask these kind of questions every spec is completly viable for any content you do. Just play what you enjoy.

Deleted
    Not sure what "viable" means to you, but at the moment Warcraftlogs shows Fire as the best mage spec.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19

Quote Originally Posted by Siniwelho View Post
    Not sure what "viable" means to you, but at the moment Warcraftlogs shows Fire as the best mage spec.

Huh, that is very interesting. Viable to me just means I contribute rather than pull down the group. I don't need to be the top dps, but I don't want to be below the tank either. In the start of Legion I played fire for EN and Nighthold and it felt great. I was usually top 3 dps and felt I contributed to progression. If I can only hope to do half the dmg of a frost mage forexample, it feels like I am sabotaging myself playing fire. But if these warcraftlogs are anything to go by, all specs seems kinda close and fire is apparently much better than I thought. So thanks! I'll think I'll stick with fire and see how it matches up when I get some gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fire is indeed the best spec but ONLY with End game gear.
    Reason behind is simply because it scales better than the other two.

According to Logs and personal experience Fire is the LAST spec in the entire Normal and Heroic Uldir content.
    And there's a really good reason for it...

If you care about bringing the best possible dmg, then its a one way road till Mythic.
    Otherwise, play whatever you want, as long as you doesn't hinder your group / friends.
    Reckoning Bomb - Unleashes the Reckoning upon the Scourge, inflicting ridiculous amounts of damage. Some might even say the damage is ludicrous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire is good on G'Huun apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Siniwelho View Post

Are you familiar with the phrase "small sample size"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Are you familiar with the phrase "small sample size"?
    Yes it is a small sample size; but those logs are with at least 50 public kills on the fights. (~15-20K parses per spec)
    Note: public kills not include logs which are private or unlisted in WCL and many high end guilds dont log publicly for various reasons.

Now the question is - how big a sample size would you want given acc to wowprogress only 2% of the guilds doing mythics clear all mythics anyways (e.g. only 893 Kiljaeden kills in Mythic last expac)?

We can wait a couple of weeks and gather new data. But that log summary implies that all mage specs are fairly close to each other at the middle of the pack and they all suck bigtime compared to Aff lock or pretty much most melee classes that seem to dominate Mythic Raiding (yet again).

But hey, at least we arent shaman, whose all 3 specs are pretty much worst of their kind in everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    But hey, at least we arent shaman, whose all 3 specs are pretty much worst of their kind in everything.
    This is the kind of thing that puts it all into perspective. Poor fuckin' shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing about "viable" and "competitive" and all that, is that this only applies when you progress so far that your raid looks at removing classes from their STRICT MYTHIC ROSTER OF 20 in order to stack others

Or when M+ groups pushing high keys look for very specific group comps.

Otherwise, everything is fine. As long as you're a decent player and you know your spec, you'll get into groups and kill bosses no matter what you are.

My alt is an ele shaman, and we all know how much ele shamans love to moan that they are worthless, the spec is currently garbage and no-one wants them. With that all said, I still output very high damage in my raid group, and no-one in the guild is going to say "Sorry Nik, you can't come to alt runs because you're an ele shaman".
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudence View Post
    I just got to 120 yesterday with my mage. I lvled him as frost, since fire just seemed really weak to lvl with. I have some low lvl azerite gear for both frost and fire, but I notice frost is far better in dungeons than fire. I know with the new blizz system they want us to equip highest ilvl, but it feels weird not stacking crit, since I often get 5 fireballs without a crit. I get procs faster with frost than I get crits as fire. Feelsbad. Does fire get better with gear? I see no one playing it, but it has always been my favorite spec. Anyone tried fire with gear? Is it decent? Right now it seems frost outperforms fire on both aoe and ST. I don't feel like playing fire if I won't get into raids and m+ because the spec is bad.

Sidenote, which spec is best of frost and arcane? I quite liked arcane in Legion, but haven't given it a go in BFA. Is it still fun?
    With the reduction of secondary stats (Crit) you still have crit protection on spells like fireball I believe but overall with the drastic reduction of crit it has negatively affected fire. I believe sims are showing mastery over crit for all situations. Secondly while all spells seem to hit like a wet noodle pyro seems to be very weak and with the reduced crit rate you already have few pyros. In short the spec is viable but the shift from Legion to BfA has left the spec feeling like something was seriously lost in translation.

Deleted
    Instead of looking at logs from "All Bosses", look at individual bosses. There is a clear reason why Fire is best on Zek'voz and Frost is best on Vectis, for example. It becomes quite clear if you look at the given timings and how the fights are designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    With the reduction of secondary stats (Crit) you still have crit protection on spells like fireball I believe but overall with the drastic reduction of crit it has negatively affected fire. I believe sims are showing mastery over crit for all situations. Secondly while all spells seem to hit like a wet noodle pyro seems to be very weak and with the reduced crit rate you already have few pyros. In short the spec is viable but the shift from Legion to BfA has left the spec feeling like something was seriously lost in translation.
    I played and geared up my mage yesterday, got to ilvl 330ish. I think fire is fine, but it is no doubt not as good as the legion version. It feels weird with the short combusions and the lack of power I had in combustion before with the dmg and crit dmg boost from consequtive crits. Also, not having phoenix flames feels a bit weird, mostly during combustion. However, with pyroclasm I find the play style satisfying, although everywhere I try to get some info they all say meteor is the go to. Still more fun than frost. I gotta say though, casting 5 fireballs without a crit feels really bad and it happens way to often. I remember hating losing my tier bonus from nighthold in Legion because I could go over 2 fireballs without a crit, which rarely ever happened with the tier bonus. This is like 10 times as annoying as that.

Deleted
    No its not viable . dont bother spending time on fire go frost or arcane mate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    Instead of looking at logs from "All Bosses", look at individual bosses. There is a clear reason why Fire is best on Zek'voz and Frost is best on Vectis, for example. It becomes quite clear if you look at the given timings and how the fights are designed.
    I'm curious, as I'm not raiding Mythic currently. Why those specs for those bosses?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    I'm curious, as I'm not raiding Mythic currently. Why those specs for those bosses?
    Zek'voz: Long-living adds spawn with an interval of 2 minutes throughout phase 1, lining up with Combustion. Not necessarily useful, but it looks nice on logs and tricks ignorant players into thinking fire is best for single target. Fire is viable on some fights because of Searing Touch, making fire insanely good for hectic execute phases. Like G'huun, for example.

Vectis: A single long-living add spawns throughout phase 1 on a fixed timer. This is the precise niche for frost with Splitting Ice and Glacial Spike.

Deleted
    What do you guys think of fire with the new buff coming on oct 2 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holo4ever View Post
    What do you guys think of fire with the new buff coming on oct 2 ?
    That's a 11% damage buff all in all recently, or am I wrong? Sounds good.

I learned fire mage at the very end of Legion in order to do its Mage Tower and boy it was REALLY fun. Then I felt sad that it would probably be redesigned in BfA. Interesting reading about its future in this thread. I loved the chaos of bouncing around, dodging things, and healing by blinking. Felt REALLY good. Here's the video of how it hooked me.

https://vimeo.com/292512696
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-09-29 at 09:03 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.