Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Older player looking for guidance with healing

hi, I am an older player looking for guidance with healing - from the level 110 trail character I have enjoyed Shaman and Priest as far as healing. Druid seemed a little complex for me personally.

Why do you play your Shaman, what keeps you logging in?

Additional notes:

I have around 6 hours a day to play

I want to focus and learn on ONE class and be the best I can.

I'm retired and have a lot of time.

My first healing toon was a Resto shammy (i started healing in MoP) and it was so much fun. Fast forward to today, I had to abandon my poor resto shammy at the start of BFA cause Blizz screwed up resto shammies (atleast to how I play) that being said Im having so much fun on my mistweaver monk and until they fix resto shammies i will not go back to it.

Oh, ok. I have not considered a monk due to the are melee damage and I fear I will not do as good. Just not comfortable with melee as of yet. I’ve tried 110 trials with a warrior and paladin and feel like I’m a sitting duck and easily killed.

Thank you for your honest feedback

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    My first healing toon was a Resto shammy (i started healing in MoP) and it was so much fun. Fast forward to today, I had to abandon my poor resto shammy at the start of BFA cause Blizz screwed up resto shammies (atleast to how I play) that being said Im having so much fun on my mistweaver monk and until they fix resto shammies i will not go back to it.
    Oh, ok. I have not considered a monk due to the are melee damage and I fear I will not do as good. Just not comfortable with melee as of yet. I’ve tried 110 trials with a warrior and paladin and feel like I’m a sitting duck and easily killed.

Thank you for your honest feedback

I think he meant monks Mistweaver tree, which is for healing.

Ive tried all the healers myself, and the shaman is my favorite healer, its a bit weak on focused healing (tank damage and such) but has nice group heals and a very interesting toolkit. in the form of totems mostly. The summonable elementals can save a wipe sometimes. My favorite class fantasy by far, water everywhere, and the chain heal is just too cool to miss.
    Next I would have to say monk, nice mobility, some nice tools too, and powerful burst healing, debuff cleanse.
    Then discipline priest, it prevents a lot of damage with its shields, and a good chunk of its healing comes from dealing damage, holy spec is the "big heals" spec.
    Thennnn, druid, a lot of healing over time, so best mobility, good defensive cooldowns and powerful aoe cooldown, a lot of versatility thanks to the shapeshifting, can shift into other forms as resto to provide support in other roles when healing is not as necesary, like tanking in bear form for a brief time or dealing damage in moonkin form.
    And last I choose paladin, its the best tank healer, but in order to squeeze it full it requires of you to be melee range. I dont dislike it because of it to be honest, I just dont like the class fantasy as a whole.

This is just my subjective opinion, over 10 years of playing now and then, I hope it helps guide you a bit

edit: i might be wrong somewhere there, easily 75% of my healing has been as shaman, so im not so experienced in the rest, paladin and priest the least of them, they are lvl 100 so 2 expansions ago. anyone correct me if im wrong
    Last edited by Spiel; 2018-10-16 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeHumble View Post
    Mistweaver monk is healing and not melee (but they do have a build where you do melee to heal) and its alot like resto shamans. Look into them cause they also got a really awesome toolkit.

hi, I am an older player looking for guidance with healing - from the level 110 trail character I have enjoyed Shaman and Priest as far as healing. Druid seemed a little complex for me personally.

Additional notes:

Dont. Just. Dont start playing rshammy. It feels so usless and boring during mraids and m+ runs. Zero utulity (well, okay, we have slt, oh wow), zero mobility, zero burst healing, zero st healing, zero spread-aoe healing. I'm literally asking myself: ffs why i keep playing shammy, and i cannot find the right answer. May be i'm too afraid of giving up a 377ilvl charachter, huh.
    Rdru is pretty straight forward, but also pretty boring and cannot offer anything except tranquil. Monk is the best pve healspec with best utility ingame now, both in m+ and raids, and pretty solid in pvp.

Additional notes:

Hey I love my shaman just for the way it feels. The other healing classes were too proactive and relyed heavily on watching DBM (deadly boss mods) timers to migrate (reduce or eliminate) damage. Shaman was simply pick an injured target and heal them. Cast chain heal when it's multiple people and so on. Now it's cast wellspring and downpour for your AE and just riptide/healing wave (HW)/healing stream totem (HST). As long as your picking your targets right and using your cds at the best times and as often as possible you do well. I love the totems, I fell in love when i first dropped searing totem and kited a boar around it with frost shock until it died.

Also advance warning don't listen to anyone saying they dropped the class because they suck at the game and can only play what's OP (overpowered)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    Hey I love my shaman just for the way it feels. The other healing classes were too proactive and relyed heavily on watching DBM (deadly boss mods) timers to migrate (reduce or eliminate) damage. Shaman was simply pick an injured target and heal them. Cast chain heal when it's multiple people and so on. Now it's cast wellspring and downpour for your AE and just riptide/healing wave (HW)/healing stream totem (HST). As long as your picking your targets right and using your cds at the best times and as often as possible you do well. I love the totems, I fell in love when i first dropped searing totem and kited a boar around it with frost shock until it died.

Also advance warning don't listen to anyone saying they dropped the class because they suck at the game and can only play what's OP (overpowered)
    got big favor to ask, could You stream how You heal m+ (10+ key) with current affixes? i would gladly see that done as shaman |
    so exagerating both sides is bad but truth is curently shaman is not best class healing wise (not counting pvp), would even say its dead last a long with pala

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

For simplicity and versatility, you can't beat the restoration shaman. We don't have a huge toolbox, but the tools we have are effective. There are limits to how far we can push our effectiveness, but that can be said for all classes. Some classes have higher limits than others. Resto shaman isn't going to put up the big sexy numbers that the kids like these days, and that's just fine. Personally I like being the support. I like the responsibility of being the person that oversees the well being of the group as a whole. Utility is our strength, not throughput. There is little wrong with the resto shaman if you understand it's purpose and how to best utilize that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by kosajk View Post
    got big favor to ask, could You stream how You heal m+ (10+ key) with current affixes? i would gladly see that done as shaman |
    so exagerating both sides is bad but truth is curently shaman is not best class healing wise (not counting pvp), would even say its dead last a long with pala
    We all know that resto shaman can't handle mythic 10+. I understand that people enjoy this class and want to be able to do that, but the reality, we just can't. I love playing this class and spec as much as anyone else, but I've had to accept the limitation. Despite that, we aren't as broken as people think we are. Could we use a boost for 5 man mythic say... 8+ and up? Absolutely. We aren't the only ones that need it though. I feel like we do well enough to keep up with progression unless you're pushing hardcore mythic raids and/or timed mythic keys.
    Last edited by Surreality; 2018-10-17 at 01:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    We all know that resto shaman can't handle mythic 10+. I understand that people enjoy this class and want to be able to do that, but the reality, we just can't. I love playing this class and spec as much as anyone else, but I've had to accept the limitation. Despite that, we aren't as broken as people think we are. Could we use a boost for 5 man mythic say... 8+ and up? Absolutely. We aren't the only ones that need it though. I feel like we do well enough to keep up with progression unless you're pushing hardcore mythic raids and/or timed mythic keys.
    well resto druid can push 10+ same as monk and priest, so the problem is with rsham and pala, still i would not recomend going full shaman at this point of time, maybe 8,1 will bring some decent changes but for now its not the right way beyond doing some 5+ once per day or plaing some pvp which is decently good

well resto druid can push 10+ same as monk and priest, so the problem is with rsham and pala, still i would not recomend going full shaman at this point of time, maybe 8,1 will bring some decent changes but for now its not the right way beyond doing some 5+ once per day or plaing some pvp which is decently good
    I already said that shaman can't do 10+. The OP stated that they felt like druids were complicated and that their interests at this point in time are shaman and priest. I didn't tell the OP which way to go. I gave my honest opinion of one of the two classes that they said they are interested in. You're trying to say that shaman is unplayable:
    still i would not recomend going full shaman at this point of time
    , which is false. There's just a limit to how far you can take them. They can be used in raids, normal and heroic. They can be used in mythic+ up to around 7 or 8. Like I said, I don't see a problem with that unless they want to push mythic raids and/or most timed mythic+ key runs.

Depends on the content you want to play. I'd also recommend checking out Discord (a social app) for the Shaman there should be some solid tips and links for guides etc in there.

Shaman you are a compliment healer for raids, basically keeping the raid group alive. 5 mans is a tad harder, you can heal just fine in most lower key Mythic + which I imagine will be your starting spot if you are just coming into the game and trying to learn and get active.

I recommend finding a nice guild as well, really helps the learning curve having a group that can work with you and other members to ask questions of.

Shaman is a cool class, but be ready for a ride, Blizz seems to have a hard time figuring them out each expansion. Thankfully, resto is normally the one spec they get right the most often. I think 8.1 will fix some of the issues, but the issues folks are talking about are a lot more related to high end, end game content, which might be a little while before you reach that area of the game.

Get some good healing addons, Vuhdu is a nice one, Weakauras/Tellmewhen, Deadly Boss Mods are all recommended. Look for a guild and really if you enjoy the fantasy and the mix of reactive and proactive healing that shaman brings then stick with it and enjoy yourself.

My personal 2 cents. I love priest. It was my first healer and I'll always love it. But that is purely a personal choice. You get two healing specs that have different applications and styles. And I love the aesthetic of priest as well over shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're trying to say that shaman is unplayable: , which is false. There's just a limit to how far you can take them. They can be used in raids, normal and heroic. They can be used in mythic+ up to around 7 or 8. Like I said, I don't see a problem with that unless they want to push mythic raids and/or most timed mythic+ key runs.
    Yea, op also sayed he want to spend ~6h per day on playing, how long you think it will take to play of M+ where he hit the wall? imo its 2-3 weeks top.
    So yea i still dont recomend it atm, better go priest and wait with shaman to se what they do in 8.1,
    even without geting in all raider io problems and whole community that dont really want to take shamans on M+ mostly (with good reason) which generate a lot of frustration and time spend on looking for group window...
    Last edited by kosajk; 2018-10-19 at 01:55 AM.

You should roll a monk.

I would say druid, but you said druid is hard, which is hilarious. Would also mean disc and holy priest are too hard for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoy the Resto Shaman style of healing (some of us just really do enjoy it!) then you should give the Ancestral Guidance discord a chance. They are the premier Shaman healing place to go to.

You could also try Icy-Veins for some basic healing advice for Resto.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/restor...-healing-guide
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Deleted
    Resto Shaman is probably one of the easier classes to learn in a mechanical sense. You just need to get used to keeping track of a few abilities that have shorter cooldowns (Riptide, Healing Stream Totem, Earthen Wall Totem if you specced into it, Earth Shield stacks if you specced into it, Healing Rain if you're raiding... installing a few WeakAuras for these things should help you with this).

If you are interested in 5 man content more than raiding, Mythic+ is doable with Resto Shaman especially if you have a solid group that can play around you, but at the moment it's definitely a bit more difficult to heal a Mythic+10 on a Shaman than on another healer, you're essentially just spamming Healing Surge mixed with Riptides to keep Tidal Waves up. I also have a Monk and the difference in how difficult it is to heal others is huge, or at least it feels that way to me. We do bring a lot of utility, you've got Purge, a reliable interrupt, Earthbind (slow), Capacitor totem (stun), Hex (for beasts and humanoids only) and Tremor Totem. It's mostly throughput we suffer with, Healing Tide is very underwhelming in Mythic+ so you've mainly got Ascendance and Spirit Link. We have no immunities and we don't have an external cooldown for tanks. Poison and disease debuffs are very common in BFA Mythics and Shamans cannot dispel either of them so that makes life a little bit harder too.

Perhaps the upcoming Chain Heal change (more upfront healing but more of a drop after IIRC) will help but I think it also needs a shorter cast time to truly compete. It could easily have the same cast time as Vivify, for example... but that's just my opinion.

For raiding, Resto Shaman is still a bit behind on HPS in many scenarios but perfectly viable to bring, unless you were in one of the bleeding edge guilds racing for world first or at first page on WoWprogress. Only fight that's really awful for us is (Mythic) Fetid Devourer and it's common to see Mythic guilds benching their Shamans for that fight if they can. Everybody has to be spread out constantly and there's a lot of movement, which puts Shaman at a disadvantage. Most of our spells are hard casts so the more we get to stand still, the better we can compete (HPS-wise).

I'll end this by saying if you want to play Resto Shaman and if you think you'll enjoy the playstyle, you should play it. Buffs and nerfs come and go, the balance constantly shifts. Right now Shaman is definitely near the bottom of the totem pole (hah) but that could all turn on its head. You never know with Blizzard especially right now.

15+ Year Old Account

That's amusing, because our GM is a Resto Shammy and has logged 10-12 keys on time for most dungeons
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    That's amusing, because our GM is a Resto Shammy and has logged 10-12 keys on time for most dungeons
    I'm not saying it's impossible. I've only done a few, but I can do at least up to +8, although I'll admit that one was a little tough. It would have hurt my pride a little, if I burdened myself with such things. With some more gear (my item level is only at 352), I'm confident I'll be able to handle much more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    everything is doable, problem is with how much effort you have to put in it and/or how overgeared you have to be,
    taking in consideration that there are ppls doing +18 his 12 is not that grate and i would assume that if he would have same team and would be playing similar ilvl monk for instance they could probably go for +14-15.
    But if you assume everything is fine cause one guy did +12 as shaman then things must be ok i suppose...

I would take all of the doom and gloom about Resto Shamans you're going to see on forums with a grain of salt. Yes, their HPS that shows up on healing meters is lower than other classes currently, but tuning patches can change that overnight. The utility they bring to a raid is top tier, if not the best. They are probably the best pvp healers. Their M+ is probably where they're the weakest, but they are capable of pushing high keys, just maybe not like top progression level high keys which doesn't matter to 99.999% of us.

Overall I'd play what you feel you like the best. Holy Priest is pretty easy to blow up healing meters with, but they have next to no utility. Disc Priests take more skill, have good utility, and will usually have less healing thoroughput than holy. Resto Shaman can put out a ton of healing on stacked fights, struggles on spread out fights with movement (which is half or more of Uldir), and arguably have the best utility in the game.

Personally I play Holy Pally, which has melodramatic doom and gloom forums like Resto Shaman. I like it and am progressing into Mythic with it. I'm leveling Resto Shaman for my healing alt because I've always liked them. Played one on and off since Vanilla. Pally and Shaman have always had good utility and generally always been in demand for raid teams.

Only caveat is you said Resto Druid was too complicated. Resto Shaman also has a bit of complication if you're really trying to maximize your effectiveness. When to use spirit link, totems, purges, etc. If you want simplicity and have noobs that live and die by healing meters call you a beast healer, go Holy Priest.