Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

7,000 UK households still watching TV in black and white

They need to come to the US for Black Friday sales and get their 50" 4k smart TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...e-tv-licensing

More than 7,000 households in the UK are still watching television in black and white, more than 50 years after the advent of colour programming.

London has the largest number of black and white sets at 1,768, followed by the West Midlands with 431 and Greater Manchester with 390.

In total, 7,161 UK households have not switched to colour transmissions, which started in 1967.

The TV Licensing spokesman, Jason Hill, said: “Over half of the UK’s TVs now connect to the internet so it’s interesting that more than 7,000 households still choose to watch their favourite shows on a black and white telly.

“Whether you watch EastEnders, Strictly or Question Time in black and white on a 50-year-old TV set or in colour on a tablet, you need to be covered by a TV licence to watch or record programmes as they are broadcast.

“You also need to be covered by a TV licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, on any device.”

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    In 1967, Billie-Jean King was the first woman to lift the Wimbledon title in colour on British screens (seen here in black and white). Photograph: Popperfoto
    Regular colour broadcasts began on BBC Two in July 1967 with the Wimbledon tennis tournament. The number of black and white licences issued each year has since been in steady decline since. In 2000, there were 212,000 black and white TV licences but by 2003 that number had shrunk to 93,000. By 2015, the number had dipped below 10,000.

The television and radio technology historian Jeffrey Borinsky said: “There are hundreds of collectors like myself who have many black and white TVs. Who wants all this new-fangled 4K Ultra HD, satellite dishes or a screen that’s bigger than your room when you can have glorious black and white TV?

“Thirty years ago, you could still buy black and white TVs, mainly small portables, for as little as £50 and it’s interesting to know that some of people still have them.”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of these people don’t buy new TVs is because they don’t want them for various reasons.
    It’s not like colour TVs are expensive.

Deleted
    It's also because TV license for colour TV is more expensive than black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Atikkus View Post
    It's also because TV license for colour TV is more expensive than black and white.
    What people won't do to avoid taxes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    We have Black Friday sales here. Don't really know why this is important, 7k is a ridiculously small number and probably people that either don't watch TV, like the novelty or just didn't buy a new TV ever

10+ Year Old Account
    I just avoid TV altogether and turn to the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They need to come to the US for Black Friday sales and get their 50" 4k smart TV.
    yeah these 80+ year old people are really going to travel to the US for a TV.

they'll be dead soon no need to worry about their TV's.

Also they wouldn't even have a clue how to work a smart TV.

What an absolutely pointless thread.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    What hubcap didn't mention is that the survey is based entirely on trust since there is no practical means of checking, which means it is likely 7000 people are either having a laugh with the researchers or filled in the wrong box. So he's posting horseshit again basically.

I'd add: the analog signal cathode ray TV's used was switched off years ago. Getting a digibox to work with a CRT is pure pain unless you like watching one frame per minute when it is windy. For a CRT from the 1980's (when b&w tv's stopped being made) I suspect it is actually impossible. I doubt any one other than retro tech nerds is doing this-it is a lot easier to just buy a normal tv and turn the colour off.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    What an absolutely pointless thread.
    Well as you can see it's hubcap, he posts anything he can find to go FUCK YEAH 'MURICA!

and his first line is "They need to come to the US"

7th word and it's really about bragging about the US like he thinks people in the UK really can't afford a colour TV, what an idiot.

They are considered a first world country?
    I'm a little bothered public television in america dosn't broadcast 4k HDR yet

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yeah these 80+ year old people are really going to travel to the US for a TV.

they'll be dead soon no need to worry about their TV's.

Also they wouldn't even have a clue how to work a smart TV.
    I have a feeling you vote democrat.

Most do it cause of the stupid fucking TV license and that TV licenses for Black and White TVs is half of what a colour TV license is.

I really does sound retarded when you type that out that Brits have to have a license to own a peice of near obsolete technology but the BBC doesnt want to go it alone so they keep at it with the government to keep there funding through the License fee.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Well as you can see it's hubcap, he posts anything he can find to go FUCK YEAH 'MURICA!

and his first line is "They need to come to the US"

7th word and it's really about bragging about the US like he thinks people in the UK really can't afford a colour TV, what an idiot.
    Quick! Someone find one of those charming videos of retro tech nerds in the states making a 1970's apple computer run the internet as proof of the decline of America!

Quote Originally Posted by VarsityAthlete View Post
    I have a feeling you vote democrat.
    well your feelings are wrong. try again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Druuge View Post
    Most do it cause of the stupid fucking TV license and that TV licenses for Black and White TVs is half of what a colour TV license is.

I really does sound retarded when you type that out that Brits have to have a license to own a peice of near obsolete technology but the BBC doesnt want to go it alone so they keep at it with the government to keep there funding through the License fee.
    Most people in this country are proud of the BBC and happy to pay a licence fee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of miss the old black and white and tube TV's. The U.K goes old school.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Just as outdated as theater, which for some reason still attracts a crowd too.

They need licenses to watch TV? How does that work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atikkus View Post
    Yeah, I believe it is because it is cheap/free.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..