Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question If Blizzard retired Mail Armor, what are the Pros and Cons?

Blizzard has discontinued things like HIT chance, Armor Penetration, and a whole slew of other things and just reclassified ALL items bearing those terms as something else. They've done it many, many times. "Item X is now Item Y". So...

What would happen if Blizzard decided to reduce armor type to the holy trinity: Plate, Leather, and Cloth?

I don't play a Mail Armor class, nor do I know much about it other than hearing for years that those players that do wear it are consistantly unimpressed with it's appearance. What would happen if Blizzard said "All classes that wore Mail now wear Leather. ALL Mail Armor in the game is being reclassified as Plate or Leather, depending on it's appearance"?

I know Leather and Plate classes would have more tier sets in their Appearance tabs to farm, but I'd be okay with that. Farming appearances is pretty much what many players do. And the classes that used to wear Mail Armor would gain access to all Leather gear, while a few players will have the novelty of having some unuseable gear pieces in their bags (common enough already. Returning players often log in to find now-unuseable gear in their bags). Also, less work for Blizzard when it comes to making gear for future expansions.

Some players will have unlocked appearances new players no longer can (ie. the mail pieces reclassified as Plate), but that's also common enough. As a transmogger, it's hella annoying to find the perfect piece, only to go to Wowhead and see the "This Item has been removed and is no longer available" message. But it's a reality I've accepted. Also called precedent.

I'm sure there are many other pros, and many cons. What are they?

Where is it stated that there is a "holy trinity" of armor?

Also subjective. I think Mail has some of the best looking sets ingame. Especially Shaman sets.

Major difference between removing something like a Weapon and armor type. There is literally zero need to remove it and you've given no actual reason to.

Deleted
    con is there is no reason to remove it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Pros: Hunters and Shamans can finally get some good transmog in the form of leather armor.

Cons: Leather armor will have a LOT of people wanting it. Though that might not matter in the age of personal loot.

jesus christ why some people are so obsessed with removing stuff? blizzard sure are also obsessed with this shit

They'd be better off just adding the next class as a mail wearer, there's zero reason to REMOVE mail

10+ Year Old Account
    i mean with shamans/hunters using leather they would finally get some good xmogs
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

It's kinda strange of Blizzard to reclassify items depending on their appearance, however I think that new updates of armor and other items are coming and what we've lost will be compensated for)

Отправлено с моего MS650 через Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    They'd be better off just adding the next class as a mail wearer, there's zero reason to REMOVE mail
    Exactly. The next class should be mail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    Blizzard has discontinued things like HIT chance, Armor Penetration, and a whole slew of other things and just reclassified ALL items bearing those terms as something else. They've done it many, many times. "Item X is now Item Y". So...

What would happen if Blizzard decided to reduce armor type to the holy trinity: Plate, Leather, and Cloth?

I don't play a Mail Armor class, nor do I know much about it other than hearing for years that those players that do wear it are consistantly unimpressed with it's appearance. What would happen if Blizzard said "All classes that wore Mail now wear Leather. ALL Mail Armor in the game is being reclassified as Plate or Leather, depending on it's appearance"?

I know Leather and Plate classes would have more tier sets in their Appearance tabs to farm, but I'd be okay with that. Farming appearances is pretty much what many players do. And the classes that used to wear Mail Armor would gain access to all Leather gear, while a few players will have the novelty of having some unuseable gear pieces in their bags (common enough already. Returning players often log in to find now-unuseable gear in their bags). Also, less work for Blizzard when it comes to making gear for future expansions.

Some players will have unlocked appearances new players no longer can (ie. the mail pieces reclassified as Plate), but that's also common enough. As a transmogger, it's hella annoying to find the perfect piece, only to go to Wowhead and see the "This Item has been removed and is no longer available" message. But it's a reality I've accepted. Also called precedent.

I'm sure there are many other pros, and many cons. What are they?
    There has never been a holy trinity of armor, only roles.

There would be no pros, the cons would be that A LOT of classes would be remade to fit into a new ranking of armor. Could easily see monk being shoved down to cloth then, as Hunter goes for leather and shaman leather/cloth.

There would be better votes for a 3rd mail class.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

There is zero reason to keep mail. I'd rather have leather and not look like complete shit.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Before we start with pros and cons, I must know the point.

Reclassing gear based off it's looks, to either leather or plate, would piss me off as a shaman. That would mean I would lose out on the plate looks, since I wouldn't be able to transmog into it. Also I don't keep the gear once it goes into my appearances, that is wasted bag space.

I like my mail armor. Just give us a new mail class.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Where is it stated that there is a "holy trinity" of armor?
    many sources of rpg's tend to break armor classes into light, medium, and heavy and regarded 'mail' as a segment of medium armor.
    Also subjective. I think Mail has some of the best looking sets ingame. Especially Shaman sets.
    and such things can still remain under a different classification system
    Major difference between removing something like a Weapon and armor type. There is literally zero need to remove it and you've given no actual reason to.
    really depends. given how only 2 classes use it and no class outside tanks really worries about armor value it wouldn't be that far out there to argue removing 'mail' as a unique armor type and making 'chainmail' a style of 'medium' armor alongside leather among the game files.

Overall, you offered up as much argument for keeping it as they offered for removing it.

as for combat number performance, that can be either ignored because most people largely ignore damage reduction from armor on the speccs that use mail currently... or have a class passive added to increase armor value somehow.

on teh subject of aesthetics.... those are going to be whatever the artists choose and will be hit or miss for most people eitherway. I for une hated the shaman and hunter tiers for the last few expansions and ignored them outright in almost all cases... even when i had currency to burn for mog purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    There is zero reason to keep mail. I'd rather have leather and not look like complete shit.
    Personal tastes, I think Mail has some very good looking sets.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    many sources of rpg's tend to break armor classes into light, medium, and heavy and regarded 'mail' as a segment of medium armor.
    Cloth would be closer to "no armour" in those, though. Which would ultimately end you up with more or less the same setup we have now.

Allow my priest to wear plate, like what they do in other famous RPGs. Shouting prayers in battle is the way forward, not namby-pamby prestidigitation. Or is that holy paladins?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Cloth would be closer to "no armour" in those, though. Which would ultimately end you up with more or less the same setup we have now.
    Fun fact, Cloth Armor (properly made cloth armor) is better then leather. In all honestly, armor should go Cloth, Mail, and then Plate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like mail armor, I think it looks great.

Cons: No reason to remove it.
    Here is something to believe in!