Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

a thought I had on classic->live account wide rewards

now I understand that they're not planning to allow transfer from classic to live currently but...

there's a lot of talk about BC servers

if a BC server comes, then a wotlk could come up too

and so on

until we get back to live

which has an account wide system...

so why, under those circumstances, would there be no link between classic and live?

there will absolutely be a link and a way to bring back some old reward to the last expansion?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it is much more likely that the Classic version will stop with Lich King.

In some ways, that is when WoW should have stopped in the first place.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    I think it is much more likely that the Classic version will stop with Lich King.

Imagine if WoW took a break at the end of Wrath, and they released Warcraft 4. The Cataclysm could have been even bigger and changed things up even more than before. Hell, they could have done an expansion with Mists of Pandaria, introducing an entirely new Faction. Then they take an extra few years to work on WoW during this time, and eventually release the next expansion pack out of the blue with major changes coming in.

There wont be servers for all expansions.
    Would it be nice? Yes, i want to play a Cataclysm/Wotlk expansion again.
    Would it be smart by Blizzard? I dont think so.

Playerbase divided.

I think they will most likely go to old school Runescape route and create content just for classic, for example, all the raids and zones that were scrapped back then would be brought back. I find this more likely then them splintering the classic playerbase into 3 expansions

They'll never get back to BfA, much less whatever expansions come next. At most, we'll get BC and maybe Wrath servers.

Limited time rewards aren't "limited time" if you just have to wait for them to open, for example, an MoP server and then have all the time in the world to farm challenge mode armor so you can have it on your retail account.

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    They'll never get back to BfA, much less whatever expansions come next. At most, we'll get BC and maybe Wrath servers.

Limited time rewards aren't "limited time" if you just have to wait for them to open, for example, an MoP server and then have all the time in the world to farm challenge mode armor so you can have it on your retail account.
    i saw a rogue the other day with the CM set...i was so jelly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post

Playerbase divided.
    who cares about playerbase division from the financial point of view? a server per expansion means more choice which means a broader offer which means more customer

i actually think that classic playerbase will drop off in 24 months (-/+) to the point that they may allow mounts and transmogs to go from classic to retail.. at which point i'd join classic and farm for things that are no longer in retail. I don't foresee unreleased content being added as i suspect that will eventually go into retail.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    who cares about playerbase division from the financial point of view? a server per expansion means more choice which means a broader offer which means more customer
    Dude...we are at best 5 million players in BfA.

8 expansions......only a couple thousand players on each server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Classic will most likely only encompass the original ‘trilogy’ of the old world. I don’t see them going past wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude...we are at best 5 million players in BfA.

8 expansions......only a couple thousand players on each server.
    well, I don't see the problem, if there's 1 realm per expansion there would be more than enough people if we want to have a lot of ppl running around, I can't think of a situation where there will be only 1 realm per expansion also so... but I don't think they'll do this until they stop the wow developement, which they might one day, why always making new content if people play forever the old expansions.

and after some years in wrath I bet that people would want a cata one... and so on. after cata is mop, there will be demand for mop, and so on.

there will always be "limited time" reward though, even if they loop infinitely through expansions. promotional stuff don't have to be in, and they could easily make a black list of items that you can only get on the BMAH or something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Imagine if WoW took a break at the end of Wrath, and they released Warcraft 4. The Cataclysm could have been even bigger and changed things up even more than before. Hell, they could have done an expansion with Mists of Pandaria, introducing an entirely new Faction. Then they take an extra few years to work on WoW during this time, and eventually release the next expansion pack out of the blue with major changes coming in.
    a worst cataclysm would have caused a worst income decline for blizzard :P people don't like changes, as shown by the demand for classic, they're fine with addition, not alteration

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    i actually think that classic playerbase will drop off in 24 months (-/+) to the point that they may allow mounts and transmogs to go from classic to retail.. at which point i'd join classic and farm for things that are no longer in retail. I don't foresee unreleased content being added as i suspect that will eventually go into retail.
    I can see them doing this purely for the financial incentive. if they charge money for the transfer as usual that would mean some serious bucks for them even if a fair amount of player only transfer 1 character packed with old world stuff
    actually I'm pretty sure they'll do it because of this and the fact they're a business

now I understand that they're not planning to allow transfer from classic to live currently but...

and so on

so why, under those circumstances, would there be no link between classic and live?

there will absolutely be a link and a way to bring back some old reward to the last expansion?
    you didnt understand classic then at all.

People wanted to be unique and why do you think nowadays things like t3 are in such demand that people are willing to pay so much ? just because its unique and nothing else. a accountwide system is exactly the opposite because my whole alt army runs around with something like arena master, 2,4k enchants, 2,6k rated arena tabard and so on. = you see it more often=> lose value.

just look at the new garbage gladiator system. it was a nice reward but lost of course value over the time already because of personal rating system but now with a set rating at 2,4k it became a complete joke and they might aswell send them per mail now.

First everyone wanted to be a glad up to the point people paid hundreds of euros for a boost. when i sold my r1 chars i got 1-1,2k euros per char(not the acc)
    Now everyone farmed it in first bfa season because they always wanted to be one.

and now? nobody gives a shit anymore and arena is completly dead because every rival player is a gladiator. => lost all its value.

even if there is always tryhards that dont want to admit it but the whole purpose of mmorpgs is to have items that others dont have. and the exact reason why people cry for nerf this and that, make it accwide and so on is just because they want it but cant get it.

whole game lost its fun when everything became available for every horsesh*t player.

and after some years in wrath I bet that people would want a cata one... and so on. after cata is mop, there will be demand for mop, and so on.

there will always be "limited time" reward though, even if they loop infinitely through expansions. promotional stuff don't have to be in, and they could easily make a black list of items that you can only get on the BMAH or something like this.
    Last year they gave a new mount to Scarab Lords, a title that hasn't been obtainable for about a decade. They've made clear the Mage Tower isn't coming back. Hell, they removed the Mythic Trial of Valor sets without even mentioning it in the "get it before it's gone" posts. They want exclusive rewards to be a thing, it's good for the game and good for business. Allowing Classic (or any other expansion realm) to link with Retail goes completely against that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    you didnt understand classic then at all.

People wanted to be unique and why do you think nowadays things like t3 are in such demand that people are willing to pay so much ? just because its unique and nothing else. a accountwide system is exactly the opposite because my whole alt army runs around with something like arena master, 2,4k enchants, 2,6k rated arena tabard and so on. = you see it more often=> lose value.

just look at the new garbage gladiator system. it was a nice reward but lost of course value over the time already because of personal rating system but now with a set rating at 2,4k it became a complete joke and they might aswell send them per mail now.

First everyone wanted to be a glad up to the point people paid hundreds of euros for a boost. when i sold my r1 chars i got 1-1,2k euros per char(not the acc)
    Now everyone farmed it in first bfa season because they always wanted to be one.

and now? nobody gives a shit anymore and arena is completly dead because every rival player is a gladiator. => lost all its value.

even if there is always tryhards that dont want to admit it but the whole purpose of mmorpgs is to have items that others dont have. and the exact reason why people cry for nerf this and that, make it accwide and so on is just because they want it but cant get it.

whole game lost its fun when everything became available for every horsesh*t player.
    yes I agree but was t3 as hard to get as r1? it's important to get extremely high level rewards, but I'm not sure there was much of it in vanilla, except maybe the highest pvp rank which can't be transfered anyway because the system only exists in vanilla

vanilla t3 is like bis gear in today's bfa, it's almost impossible to get bis gear or r1 in live unless you're extremely good

for gladiator sure it lost value... but isn't the r1 title the real gladiator?

- - - Updated - - -

Last year they gave a new mount to Scarab Lords, a title that hasn't been obtainable for about a decade. They've made clear the Mage Tower isn't coming back. Hell, they removed the Mythic Trial of Valor sets without even mentioning it in the "get it before it's gone" posts. They want exclusive rewards to be a thing, it's good for the game and good for business. Allowing Classic (or any other expansion realm) to link with Retail goes completely against that.
    maybe yes... but my point was that if they release expansion servers then we can get all of it again eventually
    then there's the black list solution that looks good to me to prevent select reward to never transfer from servers to servers

and so on

After a few years and if changes are needed then I hope Blizzard DON'T follow the path of simply releasing TBC and possibly fracturing the player base. Instead they should focus on classic and add content to it that is in the same spirit. Maybe new dungeons and raids, new outdoor events etc. Lets not rush into releasing the next expansion and experiment a bit with classic first.

So no, account wide should not include classic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post

As someone who has enjoyed wow post wrath I agree with this in many ways. I personally feel that one of the reasons Cataclysm started with the drop off was because from a narrative standpoint everything left over from WC 3 had been wrapped up. Scourge was finally defeated with fall of Arthas, the legion seemingly defeated when Kil'Jaeden got the Sargeras treatment at Sunwell.

The blizzcon when they announced cataclysm they should have stated it as WoW 2, built from the ground up. Everything new so that the stuff we don't see is run on more modern engine. That way player housing, more customisation, smoother graphics and other systems added later could essentially be built on from the start and not have devs now running around 2 decade old system trying to find ways to make them work. (They pretty much made it clear the bag limit was something they can't do anything really about without breaking something else. Height sliders can't be done etc). Put wow itself into maintenance mode with few servers dedicated for Vanilla, few for BC and rest left alone for Wrath.

Meanwhile have the RTS team make WC4 set during the first half of the Alliance/Horde war starting basically just after Varian's declaration of war at UC until Theramore. WoW 2 is set during cataclysm 1-60. All achieves and such are carried over, as the adventuer you're doing a mix of the war and the fight against Deathwing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot of forum talk about BC servers. I wouldn't be counting on them until Blizzard announces that they are a go. I agree with everyone else here that it's unlikely that Classic servers will ever go beyond Wrath.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather, even if they continue, that your classic account stays confined as a classic account.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Playerbase divided.
    Private servers did fine with less than 2k on each faction, they can easily do it.