Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How do you solo OLD Kara chess event?

I did it once but after that I can't seem to repeat it, and I'm trying to get the malorne full set for my druid alt.

I could REALLY use some tips on soloing the chess event on the Old Kara raid.

thanks in advance

it definitely is a real pain, I'll grab a friend if I have to. I was hoping maybe some folks on the forums here might know some tip to make it less of a pain before I drag a friend along

Was there few years ago last time.... If I remember, best strategy is to swap NPCs A LOT. Move peons forward to get some free space around The King.
    And also, use mages. They do TONS of dmg. (locks on H side etc, etc)

But yeah... it's 10000000000% easier with 1 more person

okay, I will try swapping more and see how that works. One problem is that a lot of the npc's don't give you the option to control them for some reason. No idea why. Don't know if that's a bug or what. Some give the option to control them, some don't. I can't find the logic in predicting which ones so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peons in V line 1.st, then you switch on queen and kill the king.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    You want to zerg the king/warchief as soon as the healers are down. Use the casters to focus those healers, then the king. Keep yourself out of the cooldown to enter, and only enter when you need to move an important piece, such as the casters, or your king for when Medivh cheats.

That said, it's a massive RNG fest. You can easily do 10 tries and not get it, or you can be lucky and get it in your first attempt. It all comes down to the fires, where they land and if Medivh chaim empowers the pieces attacking your king.

I've soloed it from TBC to Cata, so I don't know if something radical changed since then so take my tips with a grain of salt
    thank you very much for this advice. I'll try it!

it's been a while since i've done the event, but this guide really helped me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vVSvSLyg0

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Peons in V line 1.st, then you switch on queen and kill the king.
    okay thank you for this! I'll try it

just jump on the king from time to time to cast bloodlust , then on cooldown switch between the various chess pieces to turn them facing an enemy (they auto attack cleaving).
    be prepared for when medivh cheats to move fast the king or jump inside one of the orc priests to heal (in front of the chess piece).
    it's really not that hard just do one move > jump out wait for debuff to goff whie you think which piece to control next > make a move > jump out

rinse and repeat

There are guides on google and such...

Control king, cast buff, leave
    control pawns in front of king and queen, move them forward once, leave
    control knights, move them in front of pawns on bishop row, leave
    Medhiv will have probably cheated by now. Control king, move him out of fire, rebuff, leave. Do this every time mediv uses that particular cheat.
    Control queen, move them out of the fire as well.
    spam attacks at enemy queen, other enemy pieces if they are a direct threat to your king or queen, and finally enemy king when he comes in range.
    you should hopefully have the enemy queen dead by the time king comes near
    Control bishop to heal your king if necessary
    don't forget to move king and queen out of fire

if rng is on your side, this should work maybe half the time.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

I've always moved the 4 pawns in the middle, so I can move the king, the queen and the healers when Medivh cheats. Then I just heal with both healers, and sometimes dps with queen if Medivh doesn't buff their king much.

My process that works for me ~90% of the time:

1. Take pawn in front of either knight, move forward 1 and immediately leave
    2. Take pawn in front of the other knight, move forward 1 and leave
    3. Take either rook and move into space vacated by pawn then leave (They can move 1 spot diagonally unlike actual chess)
    4. Repeat 3 with the other rook then leave
    5. Take pawn in front of the king and move forward 1 then leave
    6. Take king and DO NOTHING
    7. If you've done 1-6 fast enough you'll be just a few seconds before Medivh cheats for the first time.
    8. Wait until the fire appears below you and 2 other random pieces then immediately move forward out of the fire
    9. Take a pawn in front of a bishop and move forward
    10. Take bishop and move appropriately dpsing things while healing the rooks/king
    11. Eventually die, repeat 9-10 with the other bishop
    11. Ignore the next medivh cheats (it's a buff on him that he wastes damaging your other pieces, not fire
    12. Be in the king for the finale
    13. Don't move too much if a cheat is coming because you need to move out of fire immediately even if you're about to win (it really hurts)

I haven't done it in a while but the brief story is this:

The rook movement lures almost always lures medivh into bringing armies of pieces towards them, they're pre-protected by pawns and the AI spams their aoe effectively. The king's AI also does well. The bishop AIs are terrible which is why you should control them in the early fight.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

havent done it in forever, but what i do is move the pawn in front of the guy that hellfires (knight, i think) then move that guy forward. llane is usually in range of my queen at that point, so get in the queen and dps llane. if he's not in range, dps a healer until he is. move out of fire and swap to king and move him out of fire if necessary. really only ever failed if i too many bad cheats on me. beat it usually within 1-2 tries.

I move all the front row forward, then just control the king.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually just grab king buff and switch to the casters. Hop on the healers when needed and when other king gets close enough I just stick with him.

I think I just hopped into the 2 knights and brought them out to the front to do their own thing. Then spent the rest of the time in the queen. I don't recall it being that hard.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2018-04-22 at 07:24 PM.

its quite easy to solo. Just go healer piece and heal what needs to be healed. Don't bother moving any pieces. Just heal. The only time its ever failed me was ironically when i was taking my friend through the instance for his first time.

All these guides sound so complicated. All I ever do is move the pawn in front of the king one field forward to get some room, then get into the king and stay in there, keeping all relevant things on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    All these guides sound so complicated. All I ever do is move the pawn in front of the king one field forward to get some room, then get into the king and stay in there, keeping all relevant things on cooldown.
    This.

I usually just get the pawn in front of the king out of the way and make my way to their king as soon as possible. No dilly dallying with other pieces. The damage you do is usually better than the npc kings and if health is low you can always run to a healer, top up and back to your king. If you are in front of the opposing king at the time Medivh cheats you can usually just step back and the enemy will step into the fire.