Was Sylvanas mental condition worsened by Aleria ?

The fluff about Banshees in WC3 was simple but efficient : Banshees are not mere puppets, but actively malevolent because they are jealous of the living. And obviously, the Windrunner sisters were very close. Sure people of bad faith will say that this is because Sylvanas and Vereesa are essentially expies of Aleria, but the three sisters took the same path, had the same occupation.

In War Crimes, Sylvanas problems with Vereesa are obvious-what about her problems with Aleria (in addition of the obvious, that they don't get along well). Aleria is alive, with a family, a loving husband,...

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The fluff about Banshees in WC3 was simple but efficient : Banshees are not mere puppets, but actively malevolent because they are jealous of the living. And obviously, the Windrunner sisters were very close. Sure people of bad faith will say that this is because Sylvanas and Vereesa are essentially expies of Aleria, but the three sisters took the same path, had the same occupation.

In War Crimes, Sylvanas problems with Vereesa are obvious-what about her problems with Aleria (in addition of the obvious, that they don't get along well). Aleria is alive, with a family, a loving husband,...
    Imagine you and your 2 best friends. Now picture them going out without you and seeing how fun they have on instastory. You are left out and alone in your dark room. That's how Sylvanas probably feels, her sisters are still alive and pursue happiness with their loved ones while she is undead in slimes. So she feels jealous but she doesn't wanna hurt them in the same time. Sylvanas has shown hesitation only when it's about her sisters.

I would agree that Sylvanas would not harm consciously her sisters, but she did wanted to raise one of them as a banshee. About her nephews, ish

(Being an elf in fiction, Sylvanas is, like her sisters, rather xenophobic toward Humans. This is double by her being Undead and wishing genocide on humans)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-01-10 at 04:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't think sylvanas mental condition can be worsened by anything. Short of blizzard writing.

Saying that her mental health is deteriorating would explain a lot of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    She's no different to who she was in Wrath. Since apparently she ordered the Wrathgate.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    She's no different to who she was in Wrath. Since apparently she ordered the Wrathgate.
    Indeed. But, being the cunning !#$%& she's always been, she found two very convenient scapegoats on Varimathras and Putress.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    The point of the Blue saying this was obviously that Sylvanas had developed the Plague not specifically ordering the attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Indeed. But, being the cunning !#$%& she's always been, she found two very convenient scapegoats on Varimathras and Putress.
    Yes. In Vanilla, it was obvious that she was developing the plague. If I remember correctly, all this was for naught-the actual plague was discovered by accident by an Alliance gnome in the Fjord.

Sylvanas does not despise Undeath, on the contrary she LOVES it, so much so that she wants to "free from the shackles of mortality" (i.e. slaughter and raise as undead) every citizen of Stormwind. Sylvanas thinks that Undeath is a gift and probably pities her sisters who cannot bask in the glory of that gift.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I would agree that Sylvanas would not harm consciously her sisters, but she did wanted to raise one of them as a banshee. About her nephews, ish

(Being an elf in fiction, Sylvanas is, like her sisters, rather xenophobic toward Humans. This is double by her being Undead and wishing genocide on humans)
    This isn't true the windrunners all opened their legs for humans.
    Sylvanas really does care for her sisters, something happened to stop her caring for her blood elf people as much as she did before she became undead, and put the forsaken first which i don't think makes much sense.. like the heirloom for blood elves just shows how much reverence the blood elves have for her and would support her if she ever bothered to go visit them, but it's like she's thrown her past behind her in some instances which doesn't make much sense, talking in SoO like the blood elves are people completely unrelated to her, and being told not to raise them or belf dude would stick her.

But i feel like if she was more open and not written so poorly she could walk into that city and have half the people adore her, and agree "yes if i fall raise me so i can serve you and silvermoon in death too!"

People keep trying to defend her from being Garrosh 2.0 but the problem isn't really she's becoming evil.. she was already pretty evil once she turned casting her homeland and people aside when she could easily win them over, making the living her enemy for the most part.. shes always been a little evil but Garrosh had poor writing also we had some really good quests where Garrosh was learning then he just 180 into dickbag and started murdering everyone.

It feels the same in terms of writing the character, i really doubt seeing Aleria had any real effect on where they take the character, keep in mind these aren't real characters who get effected by events these are chess pieces that get moved by blizzard from spot to spot, not worrying about how they move a lot of the time.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayia View Post
    This isn't true the windrunners all opened their legs for humans.
    Sylvanas really does care for her sisters, something happened to stop her caring for her blood elf people as much as she did before she became undead, and put the forsaken first which i don't think makes much sense.. like the heirloom for blood elves just shows how much reverence the blood elves have for her and would support her if she ever bothered to go visit them, but it's like she's thrown her past behind her in some instances which doesn't make much sense, talking in SoO like the blood elves are people completely unrelated to her, and being told not to raise them or belf dude would stick her.

But i feel like if she was more open and not written so poorly she could walk into that city and have half the people adore her, and agree "yes if i fall raise me so i can serve you and silvermoon in death too!"

People keep trying to defend her from being Garrosh 2.0 but the problem isn't really she's becoming evil.. she was already pretty evil once she turned casting her homeland and people aside when she could easily win them over, making the living her enemy for the most part.. shes always been a little evil but Garrosh had poor writing also we had some really good quests where Garrosh was learning then he just 180 into dickbag and started murdering everyone.

It feels the same in terms of writing the character, i really doubt seeing Aleria had any real effect on where they take the character, keep in mind these aren't real characters who get effected by events these are chess pieces that get moved by blizzard from spot to spot, not worrying about how they move a lot of the time.
    All Windrunners hated Humans first, however (Alleria in the novelizations, the other in day of the dragon)

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, I'd say Sylvanas was more hurt that she had any sort of feelings regarding Alleria and Veressa than anything to do with Alleria having a family.

Sylvanas near as we can tell feels like the Undead should be emotionless killing machines bound to her will. We see this displayed with her actions and thoughts in Before the Storm. We see this within War Crimes where her inner dialogue shows someone incredibly conflicted regarding her feelings towards Veressa. We've seen this in her cruelty during the Battle for Lordaeron. She definitely shows feelings during the Burning of Teldrassil, but given how the Horde storyline plays out in Darkshore, it's not a far stretch to see her using those emotions and the emotions of others as a weapon to fight with.

Given how hurt Sylvanas was in War Crimes, it's probably a safe bet she wants to block off all emotional ties when and if at all possible. Alleria is a stumbling block to that.

Deleted
    The book "before the storm" give a much better impression why she is so "crazy". Azerite has a bigger impact on anyone who touches it then the game shows. When she touched it the first time she had a vision how she ruled the world and united anyone in death. Anduin had a vision how the world could be united in peace.

Character's that Died like 3 to 5 times and came back stuff and that is creative Lore etc lol