Clueless guy needs help with small PC upgrades.

Hello everyone.

First of all, I'm completely useless when it comes to computers. But I've gotten to the point where I want to upgrade. I've noticed that it's starting to lag behind a little bit. So I was hoping that if I listed my components here some kind soul could have some advice. I'm not looking for a massive upgrade. Let's put the budget at about 600 Euro. That would be about 700 USD

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ARMOR 2X
    Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake
    HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB
    ASUS Z170-E, Socket-1151
    Corsair CX750M, 750W PSU

The only "heavy work" I use my PC for is pretty much gaming. I guess that for someone knowing so little about computers I have a high standard.

I've just noticed that when it comes to newer games the frames are dropping pretty hard depending on what's going on. And I am a stickler for pretty graphics.
    Even Fallout 4 struggle to stay on top of it all at times.
    I could mention Anthem, but that game is a mess when it comes to optimization. (going from 50-24 FPS)
    I feel like the settings in WoW constantly needs to be adjusted. I think that's more CPU heavy? I think I've read something about that.

Pretty much just looking to get an upgrade to improve it all a little bit. Someone told me that investing in a bigger SSD and move everything to that could help with loading and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyViking View Post
    The only "heavy work" I use my PC for is pretty much gaming. I guess that for someone knowing so little about computers I have a high standard.

I've just noticed that when it comes to newer games the frames are dropping pretty hard depending on what's going on. And I am a stickler for pretty graphics.
    Even Fallout 4 struggle to stay on top of it all at times.
    I could mention Anthem, but that game is a mess when it comes to optimization. (going from 50-24 FPS)
    I feel like the settings in WoW constantly needs to be adjusted. I think that's more CPU heavy? I think I've read something about that.

Pretty much just looking to get an upgrade to improve it all a little bit. Someone told me that investing in a bigger SSD and move everything to that could help with loading and stuff
    What resolution and such are you playing at?

I had a 6700k until december and wow was fine with it, any fps issues you're experiencing is most likely just addon conflict or the game itself.
    My 6700k was overclocked to 4.6ghz though but even so, Wow was perfect except for the BoD raid, but that wasn't due to the cpu struggling, it was the game itself, some raids had 60-100fps all the time, and then one raid it'll be 5-30fps, mainly on the mid bosses but one night they was fine, one night bad.

Raiding and any 20+ man content should be the only place you struggle with fps, and mainly during bloodlust/heroism phases.

That's assuming you're not playing some insane resolution / graphic settings (i would say graphic setting 7 is max, anything above that is unrealistic for good performance).

I've got no experience with dual GPUs but I've heard a lot of bad things about SLI and gaming, it's very hard for games to fully support.

My go to resolution is 1920X1080.
    And when it comes to configuring graphics I usually just click the "Optimize" button on The Nvidia Experience application.
    Sometimes I'll fine adjust things. Like in WoW I'dd change the view distance or amount of foliage etc, little things. But resolution pretty much never change. As I often play in borderless windowed mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your current system should be more than enough for almost everything.

Try to troubleshoot why the games is running awful before upgrading. cause you won't get much more juice out of the system. At least for 1080p. If you were running higher resolutions then you could think about upgrading.

Also don't use optimize with geforce experience it is really bad. Fine tune settings yourself on all games.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyViking View Post
    My go to resolution is 1920X1080.
    And when it comes to configuring graphics I usually just click the "Optimize" button on The Nvidia Experience application.
    Sometimes I'll fine adjust things. Like in WoW I'dd change the view distance or amount of foliage etc, little things. But resolution pretty much never change. As I often play in borderless windowed mode.
    If you can't keep 1080p at above 60 with 2 980ti's, there's something very wrong with your system. Unless it's in WoW, but WoW is stupid

Telling him he should have no problems with 2x980 Ti when its the god damn name of the card and its 1 980 Ti just called Armor 2X.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GT...-6GD5T-OC.html

To the OP.

Your PC isnt lagging behind at all.

Badly made games like Anthem arent a "My PC is lagging behind" indication.

WoW raiding isnt an indication also.

Your best bet is:

Quick format to clear all shit, reinstall only latest drivers to exclude buggyness.

followed by learn how to OC, push the 6700K to 4.5Ghz and enjoy which is probably out of your level if "Clueless" but you get the point.

In combination with stop using Geforece Experience and learn to adjust the settings yourself.

For the games you mentioned, throwing money wont fix your problems.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-03-10 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I notice you don't mention your storage situation, if you are using a regular hard drive moving to an SSD would be a large upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly overclocked (~1300Mhz) GTX 980TI is roughly on par with a GTX 1070 or a 1660TI. If yours isn't OC'ed to the max it's gonna be a bit below those.

In new games, 1070 performance @ 1080p resolution is still perfectly fine, but if you want higher than 60 fps and ultra settings you're gonna struggle a bit depending on exactly which games you're playing.

That said though, you'd have to cough up money for at least a RTX 2080 or a Radeon VII for any really noticeable upgrade. Possibly GTX1080/RTX2070/Vega64 if a ~25% performance increase is acceptable.

TBH, my advice is to replace your RAM. 2133Mhz DDR4 is very slow even on an Intel platform. Going to 3200Mhz memory or higher would be a noticeable FPS increase, especially when it comes to minimum FPS which is probably what you're struggling with. It's also a much cheaper option than replacing your GPU.

Hoff' du bist dann auch zurecht gekommen