Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More than 25 security clearances overridden by Trump admin - whistleblower

White House whistleblower says 25 security clearance denials were reversed during Trump administration

A White House whistleblower told lawmakers that more than two dozen denials for security clearances have been overturned during the Trump administration, calling Congress her “last hope” for addressing what she considers improper conduct that has left the nation’s secrets exposed.

Tricia Newbold, a longtime White House security adviser, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee that she and her colleagues issued “dozens” of denials for security clearance applications that were later approved despite their concerns about blackmail, foreign influence or other red flags, according to panel documents released Monday.

Newbold, an 18-year veteran of the security clearance process who has served under both Republican and Democratic presidents, said she warned her superiors that clearances “were not always adjudicated in the best interest of national security” — and that she faced retaliation for doing so.

Newbold’s allegations intensify pressure on the White House over its handling of security clearances, a controversy that burst into public view last year with the revelation that dozens of staffers had temporary approvals to access sensitive government information while they awaited clearance approval.

Among them was presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner, who President Trump ultimately demanded be granted a permanent top-secret clearance, despite the concerns of intelligence officials.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...96e_story.html

I'm sure all those buttery males guys are really concerned about this potential national security breach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Nothing says transparency and "winning" like hiding this from the populace and choosing some of the worst people possible to get information they should never have access to.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Newbold, an 18-year veteran of the security clearance process who has served under both Republican and Democratic presidents, said she warned her superiors that clearances “were not always adjudicated in the best interest of national security” — and that she faced retaliation for doing so.
    :/

I really want someone to defend this, someone please do your best because I'm sincerely curious how this can be defended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    :/

I really want someone to defend this, someone please do your best because I'm sincerely curious how this can be defended.
    They'll say that the President has the legal authority to do it, and they'll reiterate that point ad nauseum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    They'll say that the President has the legal authority to do it, and they'll reiterate that point ad nauseum.
    That's akin to saying, the President has the legal authority to replace everyone in the white house with monkeys. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    That's akin to saying, the President has the legal authority to replace everyone in the white house with monkeys. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    ... Wait you mean he didn't already replace everyone in the White House with trained monke- nevermind.

Oh no, I understand, I'm just telling everyone what their claims will be.
    Because they've already used that defense before.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Probably more like "lawl sweet libtard tears!!1"

Apparently having a neighbour who's upset about the President taking on piss on national security, is more important than.... national security.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Probably more like "lawl sweet libtard tears!!1"

Apparently having a neighbour who's upset about the President taking on piss on national security, is more important than.... national security.
    But Hillary's emails though that's the real national security threat /s

Before anyone else gets all worked up, how many clearances, for comparisons sake, were reversed under Obama and Bush? For all we know, this may be an average number.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Before anyone else gets all worked up, how many clearances, for comparisons sake, were reversed under Obama and Bush? For all we know, this may be an average number.
    Don't think Obama ever had people in his staff that were walking security risks like Kushner, whom had to update his security forms 3 fucking times to include the over 100 contacts he should have reported.

The person that testified in front of congress, was there for Obama, and Bush 2.0. She has been there for almost 20 years, and she said she has never seen anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Don't think Obama ever had people in his staff that were walking security risks like Kushner, whom had to update his security forms 3 fucking times to include the over 100 contacts he should have reported.

The person that testified in front of congress, was there for Obama, and Bush 2.0. She has been there for almost 20 years, and she said she has never seen anything like this.
    I'm not refuting their claims.

It would just be nice to have a little context in terms of how often this happens per presidency.

10+ Year Old Account

It would just be nice to have a little context in terms of how often this happens per presidency.
    Considering what a big deal republicans made out of this sort of thing, and how often they looked at the Obama administration with a magnifying glass to discover any misstep, these sort of things would have been made rather public to the extreme to score political points.

Considering we didn't hear all that much about it it is fair to say it didn't happen all that much if at all.

I bet it was to get some REALLY good and qualified people, you know... people worth cutting the red tape for.... absolutely not at all because of the listed reasons the 20 year veteran whistle-blower pointed out. Trump can do no harm, so we must assume what he does is right and just and in our best interest

/sar

If it was even 1, they would have had "Obama did it too" plastered all over foxnews and the like by now....

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, replacing the entirety of the current administration with a troop of bonobos would stand a reasonable chance of making things better.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

It's not an average number. Obama had 1 for reference, in 8 years. "I've never seen anything like this," is not average. It's part of why kelly was ousted, he wasn't okay with it. When's the #walkaway thread coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It's not an average number. Obama had 1 for reference, in 8 years. "I've never seen anything like this," is not average. It's part of why kelly was ousted, he wasn't okay with it. When's the #walkaway thread coming?
    Walk away from what? An already dying and defunct party?

Actually I think Trump should do that, because it'd be a step up from the people occupying those positions now.

Less corrupt, more qualified and less likely to get shit everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

The whistleblower in question worked during the Obama administration as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You're fucking kidding me with this Whataboutism, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    You're fucking kidding me with this Whataboutism, lol.
    I honestly don't think it's whataboutism. This is asking for real data to fully understand. Obtaining context so you better understand just how bad Trump's presidency is, although you can safely assume it's really bad, isn't terrible at all. Having hard numbers isn't whataboutism, it's asking a serious question and asking for information. To rag on someone for doing so is definitely, and I'm not saying you are this, a very Trumpster thing to do.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866