Poll: Florida law do you agree or disagree?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Distracted Driving: Miami banning petting dogs...

In Florida a bill considered to outlaw distractions like petting or playing with pets behind the wheel, good idea or bad idea?

TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami) – A bill that would ban on petting a dog while driving has been filed in the state’s Senate for the upcoming Legislative session.

In a AAA survey, 52 percent of people said they have pet their dog while driving, 29 admitted they were distracted by their dog

“People driving with their dogs in their front seat, they could jump in their lap at any time and they could wreck,” said Samantha Williams.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami.c...in-senate/amp/
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

A lot of car accidents occur when the driver is doing things other than driving, so yes, this is a good thing. This is almost like asking, "is it a good idea to ban cell phone usage while driving?" Where the overwhelming answer is, "yes, it is. Why is this even a question?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Go Miami! Drivers should only drive and not play with their pets, text etc. Should be if you cause an accident by doing something other than driving, should permanently lose your license.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just got home from grocery shopping and noticed that the person driving in the lane next to me had their tiny dog climbing all over them and jumping up and down barking out the window while we were stopped at the light. The light changed and they started driving and made no effort to remove the dog. This seems like one of those laws that makes sense to just about anyone who reads it.

We all know that cats are superior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Ban smoking while driving too while their at it. Its bs laws need to be put into place just to force people not to jeopardize the life's of others or themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    We all know that cats are superior
    Hahahaa kind of true Cats almost need to have laws made for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Good. They should make it so animals are not allowed in the front seat at all. In fact, make it so they either must be in a travel kennel while in the car, or the owner must have one of those dog gates that prevent the dog from getting to the front of the car.
    I would think people who love their pets would love their pets enough not to jeopardize their lives if they should have to slam on the breaks. I am sure some will fight this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Ban smoking while driving too while their at it. Its bs laws need to be put into place just to force people not to jeopardize the life's of others or themselves.
    Ill be honest I don't smoke, don't see this an issue provided the smoke is in the drivers own car.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Ill be honest I don't smoke, don't see this an issue provided the smoke is in the drivers own car.
    A study was done. Smokers are more distracted then cellphone drivers. I've seen it first hand. Especially if they go to throw it out when finished, which means some of them litter at times too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

People don't really get into car accidents while they're alert, focused, and cautious. Anything that inhibits their driving skill ought to be banned. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and way to many people die to careless drivers.

Smoking, eating, talking on hands-free devices, updating navigation, changing music, etc.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously fail to see the problem with this.

I see so many people with their dogs hanging out the window of the driver side spot, jumping around, sitting in the drivers lap, and generally doing things that are a recipe for a car accident.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen people with dogs on their laps while driving. It blows my mind how they think this is safe. My dog moves way too much in the car. I need to keep her in the passenger seat or in the back with the seat belt around her collar so she doesn't move and try to climb on me.

An invention similar to a baby car seat that restrains and protects dogs in cars is important and should be a legal requirement. I recall a story of a car accident caused by a person's large dog jumping into the driver's lap and subsequently turning the steering wheel.

At the very least, a traffic violation for letting dogs in the front seat.

While driving your hands should be on the fucking wheel (and stick shift if applicable). Not on your dog. Not on your phone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    A study was done. Smokers are more distracted then cellphone drivers. I've seen it first hand. Especially if they go to throw it out when finished, which means some of them litter at times too.
    That's a pretty good point. A cellphone doesn't get you high.

They better ban looking back to check on children too, or eating/drinking, oh how about women putting makeup on i see that all the time too

10+ Year Old Account
    So cops out there will be able to pull people over simply because they think they see someone petting their dog in the front seat, perhaps in the passenger seat? Something that could easily be mistaken for a flicker of light or perhaps another reason (reaching for a drink, etc)?

This law just seems like another avenue for certain cops to discriminate against certain people for whatever reason (minorities, age, rough look, etc). For that reason, count me not in favor of this. Heart is in the right place, but this wouldn't achieve what they hope IMO.

What about kids? They're a distraction too, significantly more so... :V

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What about kids? They're a distraction too, significantly more so... :V
    Agreed, need special seat-belts that completely immobilize and gag your offspring. Make it a legal requirement.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, you can hold off on petting your animal for 15mins instead of possibly endangering others on the Road. I often yell at friends or Family that use their Cell Phone or Eat/Drink or anything else that removes their hands/eyes from the Road whilst I am a Passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Please do tell how it could be a bad idea for the law to not allow you to be distracted while driving (by anything)?
    As with everything...how is this enforceable? With texting or being on the phone you can get phone records if you were on a call/texting. How is this going to be enforced other than the random police encounter seeing someone petting their dog while actively driving? Waste of breath and totally idiotic legislature. Just pass a sweeping distracted driving law to cover everything deemed distracted driving.