Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkhan View Post
    Thank's for the replies. To answer a couple questions. No answer from gigabyte yet / no pc shop nearby that could flash the bios / no microcenter / monitor I have has freesync.

I decided to purchase a b450 motherboard just to be on the safe side. Been without a functioning computer for quite a while now and don't feel like running into problems once the parts arrive. I found 2 cpu/motherboard deals and I'm looking for opinions on said deals.

Deal 1.

ASUS B450 AMD Ryzen 2 ATX Gaming Motherboard
    Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    for $259

Deal 2.

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
    RYZEN 5 2600X with Wraith Spire Cooler
    for $239

I'm also wondering if newegg will restock the 590 sapphire for $219? Not sure what else to buy. (Going to buy everything on friday)
    personally not a fan of Gigabyte's BIOS, but it'll probably give you better performance with the 2600x than the Asus board with the 2600.

As for another gpu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MsW...d-rx-580p8dfd6 is fine. a 590 is just a pre-overclocked 580, so if you take the time to overclock it yourself, you should get about the same performance, and if you don't, it'll still be perfectly fine for 1080p60 gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    personally not a fan of Gigabyte's BIOS, but it'll probably give you better performance with the 2600x than the Asus board with the 2600.

As for another gpu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MsW...d-rx-580p8dfd6 is fine. a 590 is just a pre-overclocked 580, so if you take the time to overclock it yourself, you should get about the same performance, and if you don't, it'll still be perfectly fine for 1080p60 gaming
    I was looking at that card earlier (currently got the 580 pulse in my cart which is 10 dollars more) and jesus christ that xfx 580 got a billion negative reviews ranging from used sold as new to fragmentation to broken/bent parts and everything else under the sun.

Also doesn't overclocking void the warranty?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking at that card earlier (currently got the 580 pulse in my cart which is 10 dollars more) and jesus christ that xfx 580 got a billion negative reviews ranging from used sold as new to fragmentation to broken/bent parts and everything else under the sun.

Also doesn't overclocking void the warranty?
    Overclocking doesn't void the warranty, no. They might say it does, but they have no way of actually checking if you did it, outside of you pushing so much power into it that it just bursts into flame (which you can't do with modern GPUs unless you also load custom firmware onto them)

Got confirmation from Gigabyte that my B350 serial number = SN181100020838 purchased November 2018 is not capable of using the ryzen 5 2600 without a bios update which is out of the question for me. Looks like I will have to go purchase a B450 motherboard unless I really change my mind,bite the bullet and wait another week or so for the amd boot kit.

If the serial number of the motherboard is lower than SN1812xxxxxxxx, the BIOS is not up-to-date to support that new Pinnacle Ridge Processor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got confirmation from Gigabyte that my B350 serial number = SN181100020838 purchased November 2018 is not capable of using the ryzen 5 2600 without a bios update which is out of the question for me. Looks like I will have to go purchase a B450 motherboard unless I really change my mind,bite the bullet and wait another week or so for the amd boot kit.
    I dont get it, that board was developed and made at the same time Ryzen 2000 series was released. They were pushing bios releases for the 2000 series in Feb about the same time that boards first bios was released. Shame on Gigabyte.

I think there is no reason to buy new motherboard if yours is already capable of running that cpu. You should mount all components you have till now in case and then go to store where you gonna buy cpu and tell them that your motherboard need bios update before you can put in ryzen series 2000 in it. They probably have some ryzen series 1000 cpu laying around and they should update your bios for free if they wanna sell you rest of components for your build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB OC Video Card ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $384.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 09:22 EDT-0400
    Last edited by pedja5; 2019-03-23 at 01:23 PM.