An actual proposal for an RP-PvP campaign... Probably.

So with Classic coming out soon we're getting new servers for the first time in a decade so what better time than to try setting up a major RP campaign on one of the servers? With Classic going back to the game's roots and to an era when World PvP was a lot more prominent than it is today, I figured why not a RP-PvP campaign where both factions fight for control over various zones for control, not really with a major end goal planned to hopefully allow for events to be figured out more based on how the campaign goes.

Possible Rules: Battles would generally be held in a specific time frame (possibly the same time(s) every week or so) and in specific zones depending on where the frontlines would be at the time. The initial goal would be to have an area designated as a "stronghold" for a faction and have each faction try to capture and hold the opposing faction's "stronghold" until the end of the battle time. (2 - 3 hours will probably work best) If a faction does manage to capture the stronghold then the next one or two battles (presumably depends on if battles take place more than once a week) will involve the winning faction defending that stronghold from the losing one. If they hold it for that time then the zone is won and the frontline shifts to an adjacent zone. Battles should occur on both continents simultaniously, meaning each faction's forces would be split between them, which considering it's RP, that would be desirable anyways as it could help give more impact to a guild's story.

Possible Issues:
    - A lack of RP-PvP servers: Definitely the fact that no RP-PvP servers will be around at launch is an issue as it limits this to either an RP(-PvE) server or a non RP PvP server. The former would likely be more preferable since it is an RP campaign after all and the fact that they are all (initially at least) going to be PvE servers means you could have a few unflagged people around as judges to keep track of the action. But I get the feeling that the fact that people could wait until after the fighting starts to hop into PvP mode may be abusable. Not so much with a regular PvP server, but an RP community on a PvP server would likely be ostracized and ridiculed, which is definitely not ideal. Although scheduling regular PvP events may help prevent or mitigate that.
    - Griefers: Since this would be an open world thing, the potential for people to try to grief it is high. I think the rules ideas I have laid out should keep that from affecting things too much at least since it should be able to account for people besides the main participants. I think.
    - Drama: Of course, having something rely on goals means there could be cases where alternating claims of how things turned out could occur and outside of having a set of impartial judges (only possible on a regular RP server) there doesn't seem to be a great way to do it.
    - Faction Imbalance: More or less self-explanitory, but definitely not something that can be handled without being draconian about things.
    - The sheer scope of things: This would require the coordination of a lot of guilds and players on both sides of the faction divide over a long period of time, not to mention a lot of record keeping to make sure things run smoothly. To say this would be an ambitious undertaking seems like an understatement.

Final words: Hope this hasn't been too rambly and is more coherent of an idea than I think it may be. This whole idea has seemed interesting for a long time, but there never really seemed to be a good way to try to get it off the ground. Would love to see commentary and suggestions for this post. If there's enough interest in it then I reckon I'll get something together to try to get the ball rolling before Classic hits. And with that I've more or less run out of words for now. I hope y'all have a good one.

This is a lot easier to organize per server later. And people will do so. I think it's better if you put your energy into making sure Blizzards understands we do want and need a PvP-RP server.

Because if we don't get one, people will for sure choose a normal PvP realm as an unofficial RP-PvP server. And then you can focus all your power and will into making awesome community content on that realm!

Oh man ! I am sure it will happen anyway.
    Just brought some memories back was like level 50 and there was a raid of around 120 people 3 groups of 40 attacking UC. While everyone computers are freezing and shouting for some power because the screen is stuck and the whole city is lagging XD
    Good old times.
    At current game you cant even arrange 40 people for the task of harassing enemy capitals because no one is bothered with the other faction ..... Faction Conflict my ***, PvP mode is for buffs

I really hope RP-PVP servers are coming on the lunch day, it takes a long time to build you reputation as the slayer of the horde and being hunted by the other faction hehe.
    Last edited by PavelGolub; 2019-03-27 at 04:13 PM.

There is currently a petition going on to get RP-PvP servers at launch. We are currently at around 300 signatures, but we can definitely use more. Unfortunately, I cannot post links yet (haven't posted enough apparently), but it can be found on the change . org site and the title of the petition being "What many are trying to achieve is getting an RP-PVP server when WoW: Classic releases."

Be sure to tell as much people as possible and make sure they sign. Maybe it will make the difference needed to get RP-PvP servers at launch!

I mean even if they don't make the servers, which I hope they do btw, all anyone that wants to pvp needs to do is /pvp and your name goes green. Specificlly if its for planned RP events. While not the perfect solution at least its not warmode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krannok View Post
    There is currently a petition going on to get RP-PvP servers at launch. We are currently at around 300 signatures, but we can definitely use more. Unfortunately, I cannot post links yet (haven't posted enough apparently), but it can be found on the change . org site and the title of the petition being "What many are trying to achieve is getting an RP-PVP server when WoW: Classic releases."

Be sure to tell as much people as possible and make sure they sign. Maybe it will make the difference needed to get RP-PvP servers at launch!
    Write the link here but break it (dot) and I will repost it for you if its not a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I mean even if they don't make the servers, which I hope they do btw, all anyone that wants to pvp needs to do is /pvp and your name goes green. Specificlly if its for planned RP events. While not the perfect solution at least its not warmode.

- - - Updated - - -

Write the link here but break it (dot) and I will repost it for you if its not a sham.

Cool, thank you so much. The link is www . change . org/p/blizzard-what-many-are-trying-to-achieve-is-getting-an-rp-pvp-server-when-wow-classic-releases

Would've preferred making a new topic altogether. How many posts are needed before I can place links in my post?

https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-wh...assic-releases

I think the number is pretty low. 10 or 20. Hard to remember it was a long while back for me.