Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal for a law-abiding American citizen to own/possess a machine gun (sometimes called a full-auto firearm or automatic weapon).

Of course, there are some restrictions on machine gun ownership/possession for non-government/law enforcement personnel.
    This is correct. I believe you need a very expensive license, you gotta register, and you have to buy an old auto gun from someone. I am a little fuzzy but I dont believe new autos can be made

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    By both of those definitions, an ar15 is not an assault rifle. They are not selective fire. They are not automatics.
    Correct, it isn't. It is as much an assault rifle as a Ferrari is a Truck. It is a semi-automatic rifle. (to be specific, there is an AR-15 Assault Rifle that is no longer in production, but in most states it would be illegal to own one.)

Friends! Romans! Countrymen! Throw down your swords!

VVhy?

Don't you see? A lion has killed a lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal for a law-abiding American citizen to own/possess a machine gun (sometimes called a full-auto firearm or automatic weapon).

Of course, there are some restrictions on machine gun ownership/possession for non-government/law enforcement personnel.
    I know a few people around where i live that own an old Thompson, i hear them shoot it off every now and then. I think you have to get several things done ontop of the license to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I know a few people around where i live that own an old Thompson, i hear them shoot it off every now and then. I think you have to get several things done ontop of the license to own it.
    After a brief search,

If you happen to legally own an automatic rifle that was manufactured and purchased befor 1986, you may keep it, if you acquired it legally.

Other than that, it takes, depending on the state you're living in:

- A 200 USD tax (that hasn't been changed since 1934, adjusted for inflation that should be around 3500 USD.)

- a lengthy application

- Pictures and ID scan

- get your resident chief of police to sign the application for you

- have a background check made.

Don't quote me on it, though, just a brief search, as I've said.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This is correct. I believe you need a very expensive license, you gotta register, and you have to buy an old auto gun from someone. I am a little fuzzy but I dont believe new autos can be made
    Right, but the application process for the license is ridiculous like 2-5 year long process. A suppressor is a long enough ordeal at 12-18+ months. It's too tempting to do a mag dump with semi-auto I don't want to have to pay the bull on a full auto.

Also, apperantly, a proper Assault Rifle is extremly expensive, around 25.000 USD. Can someone weigh in on that?

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Oh I know they do have guns see it often enough on the local news here, but as I said in a previous post of mine if someone with ill intent wants a gun bad enough they will find a way to get one..
    They will, and people use that as a reason to make guns legal because "people can get them anyway". Doesn't the same logic then apply to say cocaine? Lets make it legal cause people can get it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    You can buy new "Thompson's" that are Semi-auto they are neat, with the ammo drum and a violin case it's like $1600.00. I kinda want one, to just mess around with.

So they are going to ban every auto, semi auto gun. So what left? Pump action, double barrel shotguns and bolt action rifles, revolvers?

This thread is nothing but gun control discussion. Use the mega-thread for this. closing now...