Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Hilarious. Shouldn't NZ have to get permission from the US before investigating anyway? Just because it's online doesn't mean the citizen/company isn't still protected by the US.
    They do have to go through some legal channels, which is why the detective asked the website owner what the proper legal process is for making such a request, and asked him to preserve the data pending such a request being formally filed.

Normally (if the company is expected to adhere to such requests), this would be a pretty standard email - company would respond that they require a judicial order, or something similar to that, and then NZPD would work on getting that, at which point the decision would be up to the judge.

However, the business owner decided to be a dickwad for no reason. This kind of a low class response reflects poorly not only on him, but on all of us.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2019-03-21 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    They do have to go through some legal channels, which is why the detective asked the website owner what the proper legal process is for making such a request, and asked him to preserve the data pending such a request being formally filed.

Normally (if the company is expected to adhere to such requests), this would be a pretty standard email - company would respond that they require a judicial order, or something similar to that, and then NZPD would work on getting that, at which point the decision would be up to the judge.

However, the business owner decided to be a dickwad for no reason. This kind of a low class response reflects poorly not only on him, but on all of us.
    Said detective should already know what legal channels to go through. Why is he asking the owner?

lol they're trying to arrest people over watching a video. They deserve all the rudeness coming to them.

Oh, I'm okay with this. For a minute I thought those cute fuzzy birds were in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    lol they're trying to arrest people over watching a video. They deserve all the rudeness coming to them.
    Isn't the video almost a snuff film? Or am I thinking of a different video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Said detective should already know what legal channels to go through. Why is he asking the owner?
    Why would he know that? He is a NZPD detective, asking a US based business what is their preferred policy/compliance process with respect to data preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Not professionally handled by him but I understand the reasoning behind the reaction.

My problem with people sharing this video is by fact, the shooter WANTED it shared.
    He also wanted gun control so that the right and left would spiral further into a civil war, but no one seems to care about that part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    There are tons of those on the internet that aren't illegal to watch. ISIS beheading videos are just fine.

Wow, the detective literally asked him to just preserve data pending a legal request, and then asked what level of request would be sufficient. And this dude goes off like a cannon.

the more I read about this kid, the more I just can't help but shake my head, what an utter jackass.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    He can't know every privacy law of every country/state and some companies/people would comply, for example Facebook shares user information with the UK police even without a legal request if the situation is deemed urgent.

And in any case, if they decide to wait for the legal procedures go through, he is asking them to not delete the requested data so he had to contact them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    Well now he does seem like a really shitty person, I don't see how this would advance his agenda it seems like it would have the opposite effect. That said their attempt to arrest people over sharing a video was much worse than his rude response to their request. Just because they weren't rude doesn't make the less horrible people and he did the right thing in this instance incidentally or not.
    Don't believe anything posted on rationalwiki. It's a radical leftist version of wikipedia that have been known to be liars that target centrists/right wingers all the time.

Just read the first line of that... "Josh is a manchild".... It couldn't be anymore obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Just read the first line of that... "Josh is a manchild".... It couldn't be anymore obvious.
    You're not wrong, but reading through some of his stuff.

The label fits.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Don't believe anything posted on rationalwiki. It's a radical leftist version of wikipediaConservapedia that have been known to be liars that target centrists/right wingers all the time.

Fixed that for ya.

Don't believe anything posted on rationalwiki. It's a radical leftist version of wikipedia that have been known to be liars that target centrists/right wingers all the time.

Yeah clearly they have a bias and will misinterpret things and make him seem worse just because they can't help themselves, I just looked at the archived links.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    There are tons of those on the internet that aren't illegal to watch. ISIS beheading videos are just fine.
    Yea. I figure they might try to cut down on stuff like that as much as possible. Dunno the laws on that stuff in NZ, but in the US, they like to monitor people who like to watch that kinda crap. Invasion of privacy, yea. But psychopaths are drawn to snuff films.

1. No jurisdiction
    2. No warrant
    3. No court order
    4. US website so NZ law is irrelevant
    5. US Federal law prohibits it (i.e privacy) without a legal notice

NZ Police went way overboard , overreached, were outside their authority.

Site owner was within his rights.

Warrant, court order, or fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    They going to arrest all the ISIS people posting beheading videos then? nope, just try arrest the average normal guy for watching a video, what a joke.

They might not have legal basis for what they're asking, but the guy was a raging asshole in his response. The NZ detective wasn't high-handed or demanding, and didn't deserve such a crude response. Tell him no, fine, but what a classless way of doing it.

Par for the course, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Why would he know that? He is a NZPD detective, asking a US based business what is their preferred policy/compliance process with respect to data preservation.
    Geee, Id love to look at Kiwifarms and get more details, but the censors here in Aust have blocked the website

What the hell is kiwifarms?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    They going to arrest all the ISIS people posting beheading videos then? nope, just try arrest the average normal guy for watching a video, what a joke.
    Yea, honestly, they should go after the people hosting the videos, but otherwise, meh. People who watch it have their reasons. Some are pretty fucked up though.