Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

First pig-to-human heart transplant offers hope for thousands in need of organs

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-eve...210008715.html
    First pig-to-human heart transplant offers hope for thousands in need of organs
    A Maryland man has lived for three days with a pig heart beating inside his chest.

The surgery, at the University of Maryland University of Maryland School of Medicine, marks the first time a gene-edited pig has been used as an organ donor.

Dave Bennett, 57, agreed to be the first to risk the experimental surgery, hoping it would give him a shot at making it home to his Maryland duplex and his beloved dog, Lucky.

“This is nothing short of a miracle,” his son David said Sunday, two days after his father's life-extending surgery. “That’s what my dad needed, and that’s what I feel like he got.”

In the nine-hour surgery, doctors replaced his heart with one from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig gene-edited and bred specifically for this purpose.

Bennett is breathing on his own without a ventilator, though he remains on an ECMO machine that does about half the work of pumping blood throughout his body. Doctors plan to slowly wean him off.
    It is nice to see some good news once in a while with all the bad things going on. I think it is fantastic we are slowly being able to replace organs with organs that do not require a human to have died to get!

10+ Year Old Account
    What do they do with the rest of the pig?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Celebration barbecue if the patient fully recovers?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Very American to eat pork after heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Very American to eat pork after heart surgery.
    Gotta grease those fresh heart valves back up, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Since it is a gene-edited pig, wouldn't it be considered part human too then? Are we reaching Soylent Green type stuff but instead of drinks, it is other animals that have human DNA in them.

Not sure about this...although I'd imagine in some cases there might be a certain symmetry.

This is how you get Manbearpig.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    This is how you get Manbearpig.
    We're half(?) way there!

Clearly half bear, half manpig is the right answer.

Also this is super cool news.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Since it is a gene-edited pig, wouldn't it be considered part human too then? Are we reaching Soylent Green type stuff but instead of drinks, it is other animals that have human DNA in them.
    The true way to ensure that less non-human animals suffer in the process of making our food is to make it so that every pig or cow is partially human.

they give it a cows heart and let it go on its way

Even if this was somehow better than a human's heart, it'll always be seen as the discount organ option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Even if this was somehow better than a human's heart, it'll always be seen as the discount organ option.
    Possibly. Don't think the person who gets to live minds it too much, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

But is it kosher/halal?

Hopefully there's no rejection that sets in after a short pause.

I do wonder how many bankruptcies that kinda process costs. (I imagine his is free for volunteering as test subject)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Hopefully there's no rejection that sets in after a short pause.

I do wonder how many bankruptcies that kinda process costs. (I imagine his is free for volunteering as test subject)
    Transplant rejection is practically unavoidable in a body with functioning immune system, that is the reason for why the best transplants are from a close relative. The severity is dependent on how much blood (and therefore immune system) the organ is dealing with - the eye cornea is the easiest to transplant, since it's not even supplied by blood (and actually getting blood on it will lead to blindness, since it's on the outside of the body and isn't even recognized as part of the body by the immune system). So you can guess how well transplants work for a heart, an organ which can't exactly evade the immune system.

Although this pig was apparently modified to be perceived as a human, and the baboons who were subject to the animal tests of this procedure lived for 9 months and died from things other than transplant rejection, so he probably live for at least a year.

Ideally they would (in the future) send off (or sell) the other organs to people who need them nearby. Lungs and kidneys and livers are always in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    But is it kosher/halal?
    I looked into it.

Muslims typically lean towards it being halal. They already use pig valves in heart surgery. The theological consensus seems to be that halal rules can be broken in order to save a life, as that takes priority. So it would be an acceptable exception.

Reform Jewish consensus seems to be- "Of course duh, why is this even a question? I'll rip it out of the pig myself."

Orthodox Jews....seem to be a bit more ambivalent depending on which specific sect.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2022-01-11 at 05:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice that's an epic innovation. When I see something like this I wonder how Alex Jones would re-interpret it. It probably reads like "Globist scientists near completion of the human-to-pig pipeline, hybridization could make us more swine than human by 2030!"
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-01-11 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah hope they keep us updated over the weeks months and even years, not sure the statistics exactly on the mortality rate and prognosis for transplant patients in general, but this seems promising, wonder if cloned organs could be next.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis